• Sawback? - Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sawback? - No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
16 inches of some serious 3V is pretty darn impressive. :eek:

As someone mentioned earlier, makes an excellent companion to your bushknife! I'm curious as to sheath options etc. What are some considerations? I personally envision a leather sheathe that allows the knife to be drawn from a front break so to speak.

Hello, what would You charge if I supplied the metal(if You'd do that?) I have a piece of 5/16" x 3" x 36.5" of D2?

Thanks for Your time!! :thumbup:
Darrell................. darsoe@visi.com

Looks like Dan is going to Bring It again! :thumbup:

Other makers might be annoyed, or they could get over it, and try doing the same thing for their customers.

I dig that design. I'd love it in M4 (even at more $$), though 5160 is a good pick..

my preference is 5160 on this one, guys. :thumbup:

I can have it stone-tumbled for a durable finish...yes, it could still rust...but any steel with carbon in it, ultimately could rust.

And with this being a user-grade knife...I'll feel better about it being a good beater steel. :D

Dan

Dan I would be in for one and a sheath, I missed the list you just closed, If any turn Up extra I'll take one!! John at infobound1

To those who already have a WSK, how do they perform. For what type of work do you use them.

Dan,

I voted on the edge with a sawback but I really won't be in a position to get many more knives for a few months if not a year (wedding coming up, etc...)

This new design appeals to me a lot more than the original WSK. It just never did anything for me. Maybe I just "don't know how to use it". Anyway, is the handle large enough that you don't have to use the ring if you don't want to? Is the ring for more control on tasks requiring fine motor control? It doesn't seem like it would be very practical on chopping tasks. Again, maybe just the words of the uninformed but...

You can definitely fit a full hand on the handle, without the ring. The handle is 6" long...:eek:

Intended for multiple grip positions.

:thumbup:

The 3V might not happen, guys. Believe I would love to do it in 3V...but I can't get it in large pieces without a seriously large amount of waste. :(

That said, I have no problem with 5160 for this one...it's a great steel with great impact strength and easy to sharpen.

I'll keep lookin'...see if I can score the 3V...just trying to be upfront about the materials.

Dan

The 3V might not happen, guys. Believe I would love to do it in 3V...but I can't get it in large pieces without a seriously large amount of waste. :(

That said, I have no problem with 5160 for this one...it's a great steel with great impact strength and easy to sharpen.

I'll keep lookin'...see if I can score the 3V...just trying to be upfront about the materials.

Dan

5160 would be awesome and the 3V would be something special. Either way, I think this one is a winner.:thumbup:

Hey Dan, so....would You make one out of D2?? I have a piece of 5/16" x 3" x 36.5" of D2.

Thanks for Your time!!
Darrell....................

I honestly don't think D2 is a good idea for what will surely be a chopper. Not saying anything bad about D2 and it doesn't really affect me...but D2 is not known for it's toughness....more for durability and wear-resistance.

So, the answer is yes, I would make one out of D2...but grudgingly. :D :p :p

Ya, I've heard that about D2? I guess I would take a chance, as my Heafner Bowie in D2 seems to hold up real well at 9/32" thick. Would the price be the same if I supplied the metal?

Thanks again!!
Darrell...................

pretty sure the price would change, bro...it would go down for having supplied the steel...but go back up for it being a custom knife (vs. midtech/production)

Here are some pics:

The flat-ground blank:

NewWSK1207-01.jpg

Sabre grip - high

NewWSK1207-02.jpg

Sabre grip - low

NewWSK1207-03.jpg

finger in the ring - detail grip

NewWSK1207-04.jpg

reverse grip - low

NewWSK1207-05.jpg

reverse grip - high (pommel)

NewWSK1207-06.jpg

draw knife grip - will definitely "clear" the sawback once in place.

NewWSK1207-07.jpg

As you can see....there is ample room on the handle. :D

Right now, the balance - with handle mockups - is in the finger ring....so, at this point, I won't be drilling out the handle. Don't want to make it blade heavy. Right now...it feels great in the hand!!....manueverable, yet stout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back