WSK up for grabs - no sawback

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is a variant of my Wilderness Survival Kukri - no sawback.

Same "jungle finish" on the blade and bead-blasted G-10 handle.

Take a look:

WSK401.jpg

Priced to move at *SOLD* shipped ConUS and includes the sheath AND regular Teklok.

Payment info here: http://www.kosterknives.com/payments.htm

Thanks!

Daniel,
The WSK appears to be one of your signature knives but I do not see its specs listed on your site? I would love to see an example of how the front hole(near tip) is used. This look like a good replacement for some of my larger knives for camp chores.
Thanks,
Bill

lmalterna, I just got one of these bad boys. The front finger hole can be utilized when using the draw blade with two hands to draw towards you. You're going to love this thing!

No question my newest favorite knife of all time! I can't get over how cool it is, and wanted to thank you Daniel profusely for all the extra work you put into it for me. I really appreciate you going out of your way for me like you did. My wife is actually a little afraid of it (which I like since I know she won't grab it to cut tags off of clothing with). I love the Kydex sheath you made. The balance is dead center of the finger hole. It's perfect in so many way. Screw those crappy Tops Trackers. Your design and modifications go so far beyond what's been done with this style knife. I showed it to a client of mine today who's a hunting guide, and he just raised his brow and went, "Woa, you could build your whole base camp with this one tool". I just grinned and was like, "Damn right you could; plus you could gut, skin, and quarter whatever you brought back to it!". Can't thank you enough, my friend. Loving it!

Email sent, Bill - with grip pics included.

Glad you like yours, Jeff! It was my pleasure. :thumbup:

im interested as well at getting one. what are all the features for? and what all can you do with it besides cut something?? looks cool.

hangman, I'll put my two cents in as an owner of one, and I'm sure Daniel has thought of more uses for it as well. First, he's made some modifications to this style (created by Roger Linger), that I think are genius; sawback moved back, finger holes for leverage and grip, fluted handle grip, false upper edge, and a forward throw to the design for better chopping. BTW, mine has a sawback on the top edge like the Linger's do (like the one in Daniel's avatar). Off the top of my head, here are some uses aside from the obvious cutting: chopping (better than a small hatchet, IMHO), skinning, penetrating, with the blade. Scraping, widdling, debarking with the draw blade; probably many more apps. for that. Saw is rugged enough for bone. There's a surface behind the false edge to spark firestone with. There's a hooked edge between the draw blade and chopping/cutting blade as well. Plus, the balance is in the finger hole, so you can spin it around like a six shooter (I'm doing it right now):D

thanks jeff for the write up , defianately a fine piece of work .im interested lol. im surprised at the chopping thou but wow.

Original story posted here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421014

Story:

This is my spin-off of the Dave Beck WSK made popular by the movie The Hunted.

I really like the idea of the knife, and hope to add a few of my own humble "upgrades".

Notably:
creating more of a "chopping" profile
short sawback, moved away from the tip (to allow for better skinning/draw-knife cutting)
"raised" false edge - to clear sawback
"bell" at the end of the contoured handle for comfort and control
front and rear lanyard tubes
finger hole in the blade for safety/control while draw-knife cutting
finger ring instead of drop-guard for security/control
The blade is 8.5" long and the handle 5.5", 14" overall, 1/4" thick at the finger-ring, 2.25" wide at the belly. Weighs ~19 oz. The drawknife is hollow-ground, the main blade flat-ground. All are sharpened with convex a micro-bevel. Sawtooth can easily be resharpened by hand with a triangle file. False edge is not sharpened.

But most importantly, the blade has a distal taper and the tang has been drilled out to create a well balanced knife and not just another sharpened prybar.

Thanks!

After my messups at using PayPal... :) "Tool" arrived yesterday. I hesitate to call it a knife because it is so much more. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I do believe this one will soon be beautiful indeed!! A real bushcraft/camp edged tool. I suspect it will replace me beloved CR Project One- comboed with a 3-4 small fixed blade for articulate work, this will be a great companion. The beatings begin this weekend!! LOL!! :)
Thanks,
Bill

After my messups at using PayPal... :) "Tool" arrived yesterday. I hesitate to call it a knife because it is so much more. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I do believe this one will soon be beautiful indeed!! A real bushcraft/camp edged tool. I suspect it will replace me beloved CR Project One- comboed with a 3-4 small fixed blade for articulate work, this will be a great companion. The beatings begin this weekend!! LOL!! :)
Thanks,
Bill

edited ,,,,,

How is it the grind? single? or both sides I can't tell from the picture?

Thanks Daniel, great knives by you lately and the guys have been scoping them up like crazy, Good Stuff.

Front part is flat ground both sides, draw knife is hollow ground both sides.

Glad it arrived safe, Bill. :thumbup:

to be honest....for ease of grinding. I use a 14" wheel.

I am going to be doing one with a flat grind soon...we'll see how it works out.

Back