WSKO: Against vs away from the edge?

I just bought a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition sharpener. If I read the manual right, the official method of sharpening with the guides will have the belt always traveling against the edge on one side of the blade and always traveling away from the edge on the other.

Is this right? And if so, what does that do the geometry? Does a burr ever rise from the against the edge side?

Those of you who have this sharpener: Do you toss the manual and the guides and sharpen in one direction for both sides of your knives? Away or against?

I don't use the guide. I use it just like any other belt sander. Belt moving away from the edge, edge pointing down towards the table/floor. I switch hands to do both sides of the blade. I've had pretty good results this way, though I recognize that I'm pretty slow with this machine and this method.

Brian.

I use the guides on mine. I do get a burr and if you take it slow and progress through the belts, it really does a nice job. It will blunt the tip of your knife if you’re not careful.

I have not noticed any issues with the belt direction. Carefully read the manual and start off with cheap knives until you get the hang of it though.

Back