WTB/WTTF: Survive! Patch

Hey guys, I am looking for the 2 Survive! Patches. Can pay via Paypal friends & Family or I have a coup;e different ESEE Patches to trade.

We are going to be getting some more of these made soon. Just need to find a local company who can put up with our high standards.

We are going to be getting some more of these made soon. Just need to find a local company who can put up with our high standards.

Can I suggest that the high standards also be applied to your etching process.
I did not purchase a factory 2nd yet received a 3.5 that looks like this, honestly... I'm surprised that these were even sent out as 'non' fac. 2nd's.
Several other people have told me they also received their 3.5's with barely legible logo/steel type/PHT etching.

3.5 received with illegible steel type + PHT not showing at all.

DSCN2666_zpshadw4ora.jpg

My 4.1 showing the previous high standards of first class etching the way it should be.

DSCN2665_zpsgqph2kjg.jpg

I did not purchase a factory 2nd yet received a 3.5 that looks like this, honestly... I'm surprised that these were even sent out as 'non' fac. 2nd's.
Several other people have told me they also received their 3.5's with barely legible logo/steel type/PHT etching.

Agreed but we all got it for dumbass cheap.

Agreed but we all got it for dumbass cheap.

I agree to disagree.
"Dumbass cheap" is no excuse, nor makes it acceptable to send it out especially if it's not a "factory second".
"First class" is first class, "high standards" are high standards.
I personally didn't purchase anything that was "dumbass cheap" or a factory second.

Try reselling any well known brand name knife that has it's logo poorly and half illegibly printed or etched (not worn off), any savvy experienced knife buyer/collector will question the authenticity of the knife.

I know in another thread I mentioned that those were done with the CO2 laser where the engraving is burned onto the steel, rather than etched into it. The samples we received before contracting the work were darker and stayed stuck on to the blades just fine. For some reason the GSO-3.5s that came back to us didn't match with those first samples. In the time that we had the blades the CO2 engraving actually got worse on some of them, which is why some of the firsts have the lighter engraving. We sold out of the knives so quickly, we swapped out as many as we could but there weren't enough extras so we picked the best ones available. Seeing this is what really solidified our resolve to purchase our own laser engraver. Now that we have that machine the engraving will always be etched in the future. We did try to see if the CO2 marking could be removed to put etched engraving in its place. We couldn't get enough of the old marking off for that to be an option.

We do have a 15 day return policy. If you are unhappy with your purchase send us an email to Info@SurviveKnives.com and can go from there.

Yeah Cham, I'm wondering if a direct email to them would have been better than hijacking this thread.....

This again. Hasn't this issue been addressed already. Move on.

I agree to disagree.
"Dumbass cheap" is no excuse, nor makes it acceptable to send it out especially if it's not a "factory second".
"First class" is first class, "high standards" are high standards.
I personally didn't purchase anything that was "dumbass cheap" or a factory second.

Try reselling any well known brand name knife that has it's logo poorly and half illegibly printed or etched (not worn off), any savvy experienced knife buyer/collector will question the authenticity of the knife.

Nobody would think the knife is a fake. And since it seems you have no intention of using it, selling it for the low price you paid for it should not be a problem.

We do have a 15 day return policy. If you are unhappy with your purchase send us an email to Info@SurviveKnives.com and can go from there.

Or just bother the fine folks that obviously sold you such an inferior product for a refund.

But please stop complaining. ;)

I know in another thread I mentioned that those were done with the CO2 laser where the engraving is burned onto the steel, rather than etched into it. The samples we received before contracting the work were darker and stayed stuck on to the blades just fine. For some reason the GSO-3.5s that came back to us didn't match with those first samples. In the time that we had the blades the CO2 engraving actually got worse on some of them, which is why some of the firsts have the lighter engraving. We sold out of the knives so quickly, we swapped out as many as we could but there weren't enough extras so we picked the best ones available. Seeing this is what really solidified our resolve to purchase our own laser engraver. Now that we have that machine the engraving will always be etched in the future. We did try to see if the CO2 marking could be removed to put etched engraving in its place. We couldn't get enough of the old marking off for that to be an option.

Re: 5 day return policy:
Thanks very much for the offer Ellie, I have no issue with my 'purchase' per say as the knife 'functions' perfectly and from what you said, they're none left.

My point again is if the engraving machine that was used was faulty or failing, then why even ship them out to us, or at least state somewhere that our etching machine is currently not functioning to the high standards we prefer, which usually produces a clearly etched logo/steel type/PHT, but we want to make you aware of the issue before you purchase.

Both my 4.1 M-390 + 3.5 were received by me in less then 9 days and are among my favorite knives.
I'm just disjointed as to why nothing was mentioned and they were allowed to be shipped to us as "non" seconds.

I am not a Fanboy of any particular knife company, nor do I have a slobbering love affair with any knife company, I am a knife user.
I am an American consumer that speaks up when I need to, unlike some that just grin and bear it.

As mentioned once before, if I was a masterful knife maker with my own company, I'd personally never let a knife ship without my "makers mark" completely clear and legible.

Day of purchase I wrote to confirm that the 3.5 I had purchased was in fact "not" a fac. 2nd and it had nothing "visually off" about it, the email back was "you did not purchase a fac. 2nd, there's nothing wrong with it visually."
My point is simple, just tell us before we purchase that the "GSO-3.5s that came back to us didn't match with those first samples" we want you to know that half the printing may be missing on the knife you receive.

This again. Hasn't this issue been addressed already. Move on.

Nobody would think the knife is a fake. And since it seems you have no intention of using it, selling it for the low price you paid for it should not be a problem.

Or just bother the fine folks that obviously sold you such an inferior product for a refund.

But please stop complaining. ;)

RUNIT, you have every right to be a Fanboy with a slobbering love affair, but fortunately you don't tell me what to think or say.
Move on to your fan club.

RUNIT, you have every right to be a Fanboy with a slobbering love affair, but fortunately you don't tell me what to think or say.
Move on to your fan club.

Fanboy, maybe. Just appreciate stand up people and that is Survive!
Never told you what to think or say just pointed out the options you have. You were the one who derailed this thread to take a pot shot on a topic that has already been hashed out.
You seem to be the voice of negativity around here and that definitely hurts your chances of being in the fan club. :p

Cham, you already made up your mind when you decided to keep the knife as is rather than send it back.
So in hindsight, would you prefer to own the 3.5 with the lightly etched logo, or would you prefer that same 3.5 to be sitting in a factory in Idaho right now?

I get that you feel like these should have been factory 2nds, and maybe they should have, but they were discounted and you have a 3.5 in your hand.
So really your main point of contention here seems to be that you purchased what you were told was a factory 1st at a factory 2nd price, and you would have preferred (and still purchased) it be listed as a 2nd due to the engraving.

If they would have listed it as a factory 2nd, you still would have purchased it, right? So really the outcome here is the same. So no harm, no foul really.

Hey, if anything, it will be worth MORE since it was caused by a set of circumstances that no longer exist.

Cham, you already made up your mind when you decided to keep the knife as is rather than send it back.
So in hindsight, would you prefer to own the 3.5 with the lightly etched logo, or would you prefer that same 3.5 to be sitting in a factory in Idaho right now?

I get that you feel like these should have been factory 2nds, and maybe they should have, but they were discounted and you have a 3.5 in your hand.
So really your main point of contention here seems to be that you purchased what you were told was a factory 1st at a factory 2nd price, and you would have preferred (and still purchased) it be listed as a 2nd due to the engraving.

If they would have listed it as a factory 2nd, you still would have purchased it, right? So really the outcome here is the same. So no harm, no foul really.

Hey, if anything, it will be worth MORE since it was caused by a set of circumstances that no longer exist.

Rasco, your points are all well made.
Yes you are correct, I would have purchased a fac. 2nd. (at a lesser price) if I was told (had it been disclosed) that the "non fac. 2nd." that I purchased would have have part of the steel type missing in the printing as well as the PHT (Peters Heat Treat) completely missing.
If you fellows see nothing wrong with that, that's your call.
I personally have an issue with not disclosing that prior to shipping them out.
Again, I am not the only one disappointed in receiving it like this, I am however the only one that had the onions to say something about it.

To those that seem to misinterpret what I'm saying, my issue is not that there's something wrong with the knife as in functionality, my issue is not being told prior to purchase that the printing process (regardless if CO2 engraved (burned into) or etched) would be sent out the way it came out.
Quote: "the CO2 engraving actually got worse on some of them, which is why some of the firsts have the lighter engraving."
On my 3.5 it's more than just "lighter engraving" but in fact has half the steel type missing and PHT not even showing.

I'd have no issue if it was a Fac. 2nd. but it's not a fac. 2nd.
And it was not "dumbass cheap" as referred to below.
Price paid is no excuse for non disclosure of the (known) printing issue.

If the company rep. mentions high standards when it comes to patches, I have to respond that the same high standards should apply to every aspect of the knife before letting it ship to the customer.
Bottom line: full disclosure is the best policy.

To the idea that this increases it's resale value, every savvy collector or dealer knows that having a logo and/or the printing on knife made by a known company that appears in any way other then clear and sharp or half missing is definitely a red flag as far as it's chances of being a knock off/counterfeit etc.
A blem is a blem, a fac. 2nd. is a fac. 2nd. the 3.5 was said to be neither.

Should it have been sold as a "blem", probably so.
Not asking for my money back, simply full disclosure in the future.
I'm sure the reps. get my point so no reason to discuss it any further on my part.

DSCN2666_zpshadw4ora.jpg

Where is that dead horse? :rolleyes:
Thanks for the bigger pic, I had no idea what you were complaining about.

Man, get out of here. Send the knife back before it cuts your bunion again. :D or you can send me your knife and I'll personally with the best of my skills will darken the logos with my permanent marker.

Last edited:
Just looked at yours, it's worse then mine... now I feel lucky. LoL!

20150417_104831_zpsekpml0a3.jpg

Yup, except mine IS a 2nd! Oh that is funny!
I liked so much I ordered 2 more, both 2nds. It really is the best knife I have ever had and never want to be without one. Logo or no logo, I know who made it.

Back