WWII Gunto Katana Identification

Hello everyone, let me start off by stating that this sword is in no way for sale, and I'm not curious of its monetary value. This sword was given to me by a friend with hopes that I could find a way to restore it. All I know about the sword is that his father got it while in japan sometime around world war two, and his father spray painted the Saya and Tsuka gold. I have removed the Tsuka to check under the tang. I did not attempt any restoration on the tang under the tsuka, although there is surface rust there. Any help in identifying the year the blade was made, or what type of sword it is (94, 95, etc.), or if I should just be so lucky perhaps someone can translate the words on the tang and give me some information there, that would be most wonderful, and whole-heartedly appreciated. Also, any ideas for removing the paint would be welcomed, I'm thinking maybe mineral spirits? I won't do anything to it without some further guidance, for fear of further tainting a piece of history, but the fellow who owns it would rather see it looking closer to it's original condition than have it be "ugly" yet more valuable, as he has no intention of selling it. I notice two things out of the ordinary about it. The handle doesn't have a traditional criss cross ito tsuka, and the saya has some kind of straw completely woven around it, and it appears to go all the way under the fittings. Other than that, I will answer any questions I can and post any pics I can to assist in your assistance
8OH7NHk

Last edited:
Your sword is a Type 3, a late war issue.

It is signed Katsumasa and dated 1944 (perhaps 43 as their calendar year did not begin the same as ours)

These swords are what have always been incorrectly referred to as "Marine Landing Sword". These late war or Type 3 swords had nothing to do with Marine or Naval landings and in fact were made for Army officers. This myth is thought to have been generated due to the round naval style tsuba on them.

The Rattan wrap is not common, nor an official wrap. I have owned several of these rattan wrapped versions over the years, but have never found any reference to why they were wrapped this way or by whom. As there is no documented evidence of this being in any way a standard or accepted military wrap, one can only assume that this was done in the field as a means of keeping it together or by a GI for whatever reason.

The tsuka or handle is missing it's ito (wrap) as the menuki on these are generally wrapped under the Ito.

It can be restored. If you would like more information on this you can contact me at: yakiba.com@gmail.com

The imgur comments section has taken quite an interest in your socks...

Internet commenters like that rarely realize actual men don't have Mom around to pick up everything all the time and when an actual man works at an actual job sometimes getting out of your workboots and socks is about all you can handle at the end of the day.

Internet commenters like that rarely realize actual men don't have Mom around to pick up everything all the time and when an actual man works at an actual job sometimes getting out of your workboots and socks is about all you can handle at the end of the day.

So true. And even worse yet, those were my roommates socks lol. I decided it wasnt worth the effort to correct them though.

Back