XHD Series - Overall impressions?

I've seen a few come up for sale lately, but have not bought one due to just not knowing what the overall impressions are. Actually, I did not buy a HMMV because it has the same blade as a Jackhammer I have coming eventually. The Commander currently on the exchange is interesting, but not one of my favorite patterns. I do not mind large or heavy knives, since I anticipate the weight of some of these will be a drawback to some folks.

What do y'all think of the XHD's?

I was hesitant to buy the XHD series due to how thick the handle is. But... I had to get the XHD commander because it was a commander with a flipper, S35VN, and steel lockbar insert. But it turns out the XHD commander was more comfortable than a 2000 vintage, current production, and wolf grey g10 version. Definitely surprising and I'm glad that it all worked out for me.

To try it out, I pocketed the XHD commander for two weeks and the size difference didn't bother me much. Granted, I'm used to carrying an ETAK, which is another large handled knife. One comment, the thickness of the blade and corresponding width of the awesome satin backspacer makes the knife quite noticeable when clipped to your pocket. I carry my knives proudly so it doesn't bother me. My steelcraft glimpse 7.0 with it's large satin backspacer has the same issue. ;)

My impressions with this knife have been very positive. If I see an XHD-7F for a reasonable price, I would probably buy it. I currently regret passing up on that one.

Id love to get an XHD Commander, but considering it's got bearings and a flipper, as we discussed in another thread, how heavy duty it really is can be questionable.

Cool as hell though, as I do love the Commander design and how it melts into my hand.

I passed on the first couple XHD knives thinking they would be too heavy with that TI backspacer. After getting the XHD Commander I regret passing up on the 7. I don't like the 7 with a flipper but the thicker handle is awesome.
The weight isn't terrible but is noticeable. Thickness is worth the trade off, bulky in the pocket but great in the hand.

The XHD 7 is a nice knife but I think the whole series are over priced for a production knife and due to the limited numbers, the price only gets worse in the aftermarket.

Well, since this got revived...

I did end up getting an XHD-7, but only held onto it for a little while. Just wasn't for me. The weight did not bother me, just the overall thickness, both of the handle and the blade. The blade stock being even thicker necessitates an even more noticeable primary and secondary grind/bevel, which just wasn't for me.

I would like to see an XHD in a non-flipper version.

Great pics, that is magnificent. I have a Flipper7, so I really appreciate the comparison. Looks like the XHD has the blade profile of the HD.

Turbo,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Really gives a good sense of the size difference.
--Larry

I would love to try one but dont think I'd like the flipper

The main thing that keeps me from buying is the very aggressive texture of the scales. It seems like it would hang up on my clothing and prevent/hinder a clean wave draw.

Not sure if the steel upgrade and thicker blade stock/liner will worth the 3x of the regular model price...

The main thing that keeps me from buying is the very aggressive texture of the scales. It seems like it would hang up on my clothing and prevent/hinder a clean wave draw.

That would never bother me as it is so darn good looking it would never leave my hands to go in a pocket. Practical for me no, but a looker and handler, absolutely yes.

(yes, Charlie Mike is not with us, but in a way, through his posts, he still is, as I just realized who I had quoted)

Back