XL appreciation thread

You read the title, this thread is for the big boys. Cold Steel has cornered the market on large, use-able folders that combined with the triad lock are the closest thing you can get to carrying a folding fixed blade in terms of reach and strength. Also, with the upgraded steels and wide variety of blade shapes, sizes, and weights there is one for every occasion and purpose. They are probably the only folder out there I would happy be I had if I ever had to defend my life with a knife (God forbid) and simultaneously the only knife I would trust my fingers to during genuine hard use. I mean what other folders could double as a survival knife for goodness sakes!! And the Rajah 2, probably the most devastatingly powerful knife out there. They are definitely my favorite group of Cold Steel knives and I know many people out there feel the same way and have much more impressive collections than mine. So what you got? Which do you carry the most and which is your favorite?

My number one is the XL voyager clip point. It is just so versatile in applications and is the closest thing to carrying a folding bowie knife. For SD, every day carry, even as a backup to a fixed blade at camp, this blade can do it all. And around 60 bucks with BD1 steel I believe it the best dollar for dollar knife on the market. A close second is new to me, the Frenzy. A 5.5" warncliffe style blade that has a profile and weight that absolutely dissappears in the pocket with XHP steel, very handsome contoured g-10 scales and a blade that is sleek but also substantially thick enough for hard use with a strong tip. I can literally carry this in gym shorts and not even notice its there. Not too many large knives can accomplish that. SO LETS SEE EM!

wXCEjgE.jpg

ow22Knr.jpg

sHwdeUt.jpg

3FJmUyT.jpg

4na9ls8.jpg

Y2gRIBO.jpg

s4rRTHL.jpg

:) My "most carried" folders are Cold Steel XL Talwar and the L Espada (5.5" blade)paired for outdoors and my XL Vaquero and the smaller Talwar for indoors . No pics for now . I've not recovered from being "Photobucketed":mad:

Last edited:
Nice pics. I have the buggers scattered all over hells half acre. No updated pics but if I come across some old ones, I will post up. I'm in a hatchet/small stove/back pack thing right now. Small, compact, simple, light. Go in, read ''The Spirituality of Imperfection'' in the trees, have some tea on a fire, go home.

I only have one, the Voyager Vaquero XL, but it's fantastic. A knife this large has no business being this light, and I absolutely love how comfortable the contoured edges and the shape of the grip make the handle. Great fit and finish, too, and one of the sharpest factory edges I've ever had the pleasure of accidentally cutting myself on. :D

fFi3P6x.jpg

I have a pile of them, and I love them all. The only ones I have actually carried consistently are the Recon 1 and the Voyager tanto. I still need a counter point and a Frenzy.
Here's a link to a crappy pic that I've posted before on BF. I also have a blue Talwar in XHP and a fully serrated Talwar in Aus8.

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/jonnyfgroove/media/0823162021b1.jpg.html?o=44

Blue Talwar:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/jonnyfgroove/P1000728.jpg
Jonny , I can't see your pics . Maybe due to my AdblockPlus or maybe you've been "photo bucketed" !

Nice pics. I have the buggers scattered all over hells half acre. No updated pics but if I come across some old ones, I will post up. I'm in a hatchet/small stove/back pack thing right now. Small, compact, simple, light. Go in, read ''The Spirituality of Imperfection'' in the trees, have some tea on a fire, go home.
Cool upnorth, I always enjoy your posts. Metal detecting, CS shovel, etc. :thumbsup:

Jonny , I can't see your pics . Maybe due to my AdblockPlus or maybe you've been "photo bucketed" !
I think it may be Ad Block as I definitely have been photobucketed. :)
I only have one, the Voyager Vaquero XL, but it's fantastic. A knife this large has no business being this light, and I absolutely love how comfortable the contoured edges and the shape of the grip make the handle. Great fit and finish, too, and one of the sharpest factory edges I've ever had the pleasure of accidentally cutting myself on. :D

fFi3P6x.jpg
This sounds like an older Japan Voyager, please post a pic if you can.

This sounds like an older Japan Voyager, please post a pic if you can.

My post included a photo -- does it not show up for you? I use Imgur, so that wouldn't be a Photobucket issue, but maybe it's an adblock thing (or something like that).

In any case, it's an AUS 8A Voyager, not one of the newer CTS XHP ones. :thumbsup:

My post included a photo -- does it not show up for you? I use Imgur, so that wouldn't be a Photobucket issue, but maybe it's an adblock thing (or something like that).

In any case, it's an AUS 8A Voyager, not one of the newer CTS XHP ones. :thumbsup:
I can see your fine pic . Same as my trusty ol' Vaquero XL in Aus8 .

:) My "most carried" folders are Cold Steel XL Talwar and the L Espada (5.5" blade)paired for outdoors and my XL Vaquero and the smaller Talwar for indoors . No pics for now . I've not recovered from being "Photobucketed":mad:
The XL talwar is one I regret not picking up, that thing looks wicked as hell plus it's got a thumb plate.

I have a pile of them, and I love them all. The only ones I have actually carried consistently are the Recon 1 and the Voyager tanto. I still need a counter point and a Frenzy.
Here's a link to a crappy pic that I've posted before on BF. I also have a blue Talwar in XHP and a fully serrated Talwar in Aus8.

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/jonnyfgroove/media/0823162021b1.jpg.html?o=44

Blue Talwar:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/jonnyfgroove/P1000728.jpg
You do need a frenzy, I wasn't even really interested in one until I got it in hand. It feels like an Endura in the pocket yet 100 times more stout.

fFi3P6x.jpg
Probably the most deadly blade shape IMO. Plus cuts like a madman with that recurve and the ergos in several grips make the blade melt into my hand. The SE is on my list.

The XL talwar is one I regret not picking up, that thing looks wicked as hell plus it's got a thumb plate.

I got a backup after selling mine as soon as I heard they were discontinuing them. I missed my opportunity twice on a blue one and OD green or tan one. Crappy move by CS in putting them on the chopping block, even worse without previous notice :thumbsdown:
In my pocket today

m2vywYD.jpg

You do need a frenzy, I wasn't even really interested in one until I got it in hand. It feels like an Endura in the pocket yet 100 times more stout.

I wasn't really interested ion none before seeing your pics and the first reviews. Now I think I need one for the collection's sake! :rolleyes:

Probably the most deadly blade shape IMO. Plus cuts like a madman with that recurve and the ergos in several grips make the blade melt into my hand. The SE is on my list.

the deadliest indeed. Cuts, stabs, slices and thrusts with astounding ease, especially when factory sharp. Of all the new and current CS folders,m the one I drool over the most (and one of the hardest to find, at 2000 pieces worldwide, I guess not even 1/10th of those on Europe ) is the LE Lynn C.Thompson SE Vaquero Voyager. The definitive XL for the $ IMO

The Frenzy looks like a good design; I might have to pick one up.

I'm partial to the Talwar and the Vaquero myself. The Hold Out is nice as well.

I wish they would make a G10 Vaquero in XHP.

It was indeed my ad block, thanks Dadpool. Sweet knife.

The Frenzy looks like a good design; I might have to pick one up.

I'm partial to the Talwar and the Vaquero myself. The Hold Out is nice as well.

I wish they would make a G10 Vaquero in XHP.

except for the G10 part, that's exactly what the awesome LE Lynn C. Thompson is about. DLC, CTS-XHP, aggressive nogales blade.
Handle material is good enough for me :thumbsup:

Back