XL appreciation thread

except for the G10 part, that's exactly what the awesome LE Lynn C. Thompson is about. DLC, CTS-XHP, aggressive nogales blade.
Handle material is good enough for me :thumbsup:

I'm not a huge fan of Cold Steel's serrations (had several break off) and I can't see myself carrying a blade with Thompson's name plastered on the side in such a huge font. Otherwise, looks great.

I'm a huge fan of Cold Steel's XL folders. I have fourteen CS folders with 5.5 inch or longer blades. Unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures. [ so for you suspicious types, I guess I could be lying] Although I have lots of other CS knives as well as swords ,tomahawks ,spears etc I think that what truly sets CS apart from other knife makers is that virtually none of them make XL folders. The only exception I can think of is Spyderco's Tatanka. However I'm beginning to wonder if CS is still that interested in the XL folder field. I'm aware they brought out the Frenzy this year which is a great lightweight XL folder. [ I've got the green handled one] but they've also discontinued at least a couple of other XL models.
I was amazed that they didn't bring out the Immortal as an XL model. I've handled the Immortal and it's a very nice little knife but it's just too small to have any credibility as a gladius. It reminds me of the folding kukri that Spyderco brought out a few years ago as part of their ethnic series. It looked like a paperweight kukri that couldn't actually handle any of the tasks of a kukri in contrast to Cold Steel's Rajah 1 and 2 which truly are folding kukris.
I hope I'm just being pessimistic and Cold Steel will continue to offer old and new Xl folders in the future.

I'm a huge fan of Cold Steel's XL folders. I have fourteen CS folders with 5.5 inch or longer blades. Unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures. [ so for you suspicious types, I guess I could be lying] Although I have lots of other CS knives as well as swords ,tomahawks ,spears etc I think that what truly sets CS apart from other knife makers is that virtually none of them make XL folders. The only exception I can think of is Spyderco's Tatanka. However I'm beginning to wonder if CS is still that interested in the XL folder field. I'm aware they brought out the Frenzy this year which is a great lightweight XL folder. [ I've got the green handled one] but they've also discontinued at least a couple of other XL models.
I was amazed that they didn't bring out the Immortal as an XL model. I've handled the Immortal and it's a very nice little knife but it's just too small to have any credibility as a gladius. It reminds me of the folding kukri that Spyderco brought out a few years ago as part of their ethnic series. It looked like a paperweight kukri that couldn't actually handle any of the tasks of a kukri in contrast to Cold Steel's Rajah 1 and 2 which truly are folding kukris.
I hope I'm just being pessimistic and Cold Steel will continue to offer old and new Xl folders in the future.

hopefully they don't abandon the XL Trend, it's as classic and representative as the brand itself.
And someone has to keep making these awesome folding kukris!

0Sf2Jcc.jpg

I've got the XL Recon 1 Tanto, but it's the only one currently in my rather small collection. But Cold Steel does know how to do big well. Also regularly carry an Italian 4 Max (imagine THAT in an XL model) that I love. I really like their move to the CTS-XHP steel on a lot of their knives as well.

I agree about the immortal. It's a cool blade I just wish it came with the xl treatment.

It's been said before, but an XL Recon spear point would be a must-buy.

I've never really though about that one but you are right, a 5.5" spear point recon would be a hit for sure.

Sadly, that probably won't happen. All the XL Recon 1's are discontinued (the mini also). You can be the biggest fan of Cold Steel's big folders, but if you don't buy one, sales drop and they're discontinued. The entire Holdout series is gone too. When you have a product that's
already paid for it's tooling many times over, lackluster sales are the only reason it would be discontinued.

Fortunately, the Espada and Voyager series still have XL's (the medium Espada is gone), not to mention the Frenzy and Ti-Lite 6 incher

The market is still flooded with the mentioned discontinued models, for the time being. If I could afford it, I'd be stocking up on these.

I've only owned a few Cold Steel knives over the years, it seems I always end up gifting them to my nonknife buddies who need a no nonsense knife, but the one that I do have and will never leave my collection is an old XL plain edge Vaquero I picked up at a gun show nib for $20 so I couldn't resist. I like AUS8 if done right and it's just so darn fun to fondle. lol
I will admit, the lock took a bit to loosen up but it's easy to release that blade now and I am extra cautious when closing that big folder.

I obviously don't carry it but it gets plenty of use in the kitchen...a big monster fruit and veggie slicing machine. I suppose that's not pushing the tri-ad lock to its limits lol but I do touch it up from time to time to keep a hair popping edge...just in case the great pumpkin shows up at my back door wanting to dance :D

half of my wish list for 2017 is done now: I ordered this beauty

vBTdjVX.jpg

hopefully in less than two weeks I'll be a proud owner of one of them. :rolleyes:

Welcome, aboard. Much to say about the Cold Steel big boy folders. Mostly, positive. But I am pressed for time and still owe a reply to the inquires I received in the GKD section's knife wound thread, due to the graphic pictures I posted.

I strongly agree about the need for an XL Recon spear point. It seems like such a no brainer it's strange CS didn't bring one out years ago.

Back