yak butter -- where to order?

Someone on another board I frequent "needs" to know where you would order yak butter?

Aren't yaks used in the Himalayas? Isn't yak butter a staple for energy there?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this interesting topic. And so it's on-topic, a follow up question:

Have you ever protected your khukuri with a coating of yak butter? Is this something that's done?

http://webexhibits.org/butter/countries-tibet.html

As to where to buy it ... seems pretty futile ... it's quite hard to import food into the US (lots of regulations pertaining to food imports from outside North America) so i imagine few bowls of exotic yak butter would be darn expensive to import and get through all the paperwork.

;)

glam_splash.jpg

http://www.rancidyak.com/

I have a particular fondness for Yaks :)

I don't know of anyone who is selling yak butter. But you can do a search for gourmet foods and yak and maybe get a hit. Or contact a yak rancher and see if they know of anyone selling it.

I have some friends who raise yaks here in Buffalo. They've been trying to get me to buy one :D I would if I had some land. I just don't think the neighbors would appreciate a yak as much as I would.

Try and contact these folks and see if they know of a commercial source for the butter:

www.yakdaddyranch.com

Alan

cognitivefun said:
Someone on another board I frequent "needs" to know where you would order yak butter?

Aren't yaks used in the Himalayas? Isn't yak butter a staple for energy there?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this interesting topic. And so it's on-topic, a follow up question:

Have you ever protected your khukuri with a coating of yak butter? Is this something that's done?

Strictly speaking Yaks don't have butter, or milk. Yaks are male. Dree or Dri are the females of the species.

I realize that I am being a nit-picker and show-off. Sorry, just a boring Sunday morning in Atlanta.

faramir said:
http://webexhibits.org/butter/countries-tibet.html

As to where to buy it ... seems pretty futile ... it's quite hard to import food into the US (lots of regulations pertaining to food imports from outside North America) so i imagine few bowls of exotic yak butter would be darn expensive to import and get through all the paperwork.

If current trends continue, by 2010 the value of food imports into the U.S. will exceed the value of food exports from the U.S. Markets today are full of "fresh" food from outside North America -- not to mention canned goods.

A Google search might score. I'll give it a try and reports.

Tom

Edited to add:

"Yak" milk, butter and cheese are produced in Tibet and Nepal. The dictionary says "Yak Butter" should be made fom yak milk (apologies to picky :p ). Apparently, what is sold is made from any milk available, including goat and cow milk. "Yak" butter is commonly used to fortify tea.

www.jimbos.com says it/they sell yak butter.

Tom

waoooooo so wer'e way back in 2005 . since I registered just to answer this without realizing that I'm going to go ahead. Having lived in the Himalayas I can tell you that it is hard enough to get yak butter/cheese even there. It usually stays up in the mountains where it is made, although a few enterprises ship it to the capital , and if you know where to go you can buy it. That is cheese though, butter is easy to get in the capital in the Tibetan neighborhood. I highly doubt that anyone imports it to the United states from there. It would be an FDA disaster as essentially those places that make it are living back in the middle ages. But what you could do is check with yak farmers in the USA as there are some now. I know that Colorodo up to montana and wyoming would be prime real estate to raise yaks, perfect elevation and climate, and so I see that people are doing it now. Surely you could make a dfeal with them. And let mee know if you do, because I miss my yak butter! http://www.theyakranch.com/yaks-for-sale/

Strictly speaking Yaks don't have butter, or milk. Yaks are male. Dree or Dri are the females of the species.

I realize that I am being a nit-picker and show-off. Sorry, just a boring Sunday morning in Atlanta.

I'm sure the male yak wont mind being "milked"...

Just be sure not to drink the "milk" the Yak gives you. I heard its full of protein but I refuse to find out myself. I will stick with the Dri's milk.;):D

Yak butter is still hard to come by, even with the almighty internets at all our finger tips.

How does the taste compare to Indian Gee or Buffalo milk/butter/mozzarella?

Howdy hey, hope you’re all doing well!
Created this to say, looking back on forum conversations from ‘05 is nostalgic to me.
Regardless - there’s only one source i can find for anything yak related and it’s yak ghee, but it’s $90.00 for what i think is 4oz. Yak butter still is seemingly impossible to find. You may have better luck with yak ghee, though.

I prefer the Musk Oxen....just me personally though.

Yak butter as a lubricant?

Hmm ...maybe clarified....with all the water boiled out ....and no fat solids?

My broken brain read this thread title in a funny way.....I thought it said....

"How do you order a yak to butter?"

I imagined a guy sneaking up on a mommy yak and screaming really loudly...."BUTTER!!!"

Back