Yakkety yak - don't talk back!

Rusty

What with all the water buffalo questions I thought some might be fascinated to see more of Nepal's interesting aspects. Right here in (mostly) Colorado, Minnesota, etc. Check out these IYAK pages. Oh, and Unk, tell Yangdu I still keep the yak cheese in my truck along with the goat jerky and the spare Shop #2 20" sirupati for emergencies.

http://yakpage.com/yak.htm

Can't you hear Boots Randolph playing his SAX in the background?

I WANT ONE....Wonder how they would fare at lower altitudes, but with lots of Bluegrass to munch on.

They're a lot bigger (and harder to pick up after) than Cairns....guess I'll stick to dogs :D

I just spotted another advantage of Cairns - their registration numbers don't have as many digits as those Yak prices:eek:

Yaks can have a very nasty disposition in addition to all the other info. Sort of remind me of camels and nasty mules and burros.

Very nice. ... but I'm saving up for an Icelandic Horse. ... named Fred or George (a new friend tells me I have to name it an Icelandic or Norse name. .. picky picky)...

Plan to have him live in the apartment with me and the dog. If fact, he'll be a big dog as far as the landlord is concerned. Opps, wait, I can't have dogs either...

But after the horse, a Yak would be just the thing!! I could see using the wool for spinning (something I'm going to be learning next year)... hmmm....

I can see it now. ... 10 acres, my trusty Icelandic, Buddy and I ride out to visit our little herd of yaks (just two). ... brushing them down to collect the warm undercoat hair (Buddy jumping, trying to get the brush out of my hand so he can chew on it :rolleyes: ), then going back to the small log cabin and working the hair into yarn for weaving...

This might sound a *bit* facestious. ... but really it is not. I would to be in the exact circumstances I describe above (and Buddy does go for the brush everytime). ... tis a dream of mine, and they Yaks fit in just perfectly. Thanks Rusty! :)

Alan

And can't you just hear Waylon wailing:

"Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be yakboys..."

I've never eaten yak but my guess would be that you probably couldn't tell the difference between it and buffalo -- bison, that is.

To bend the topic a little....
My wife and were at the local Highland Games where a veterinarian was showing some Highland cattle,one of which was 2 month old calf.My wife was walking it around on a lead when a couple of guys got into a serious discussion as to whether or not the calf was a Wooly Mammoth.

Wood Owl

Originally posted by Rusty
Profitable, maybe no. Spiritually priceless, maybe so. ...

Exactly. ... I'm not into profit any longer. My goal is to become as self sufficient and spiritually happy as possible. Gonna go offline from the world (well, I'll keep e-mail to stay in touch with Wal and family. ... and the forum). ... no banks, no credit cards, no TV, nada. Just me, the dog, cat, my little Icelandic horse, couple of yaks, a few chickens, and a new girlfriend or two. It'll be my own little commune :D

Now I just have to go find 10 acres, $9,000 of yak, $3500 horse, and chickens, and a girlfriend for Buddy :rolleyes:

Alan (who would really do this if there was any money in his pocket)...

Yaks were imported into the Highlands in the 17th century and may well have been crossbred into local stock. The males of the crossbreed are sterile, but the females are not. In Nepal, the crossbreeds are known as dzo.

Also, the highland cattle have been crossbred with bison:

{Charolais ( color suppression gene )
{Scottish Highland ( color dilution gene )
{White Park ( white gene )

to produce a whitish ( the body is white with a blondish mane ) Bison crossbreed called a "white buffalo".

So much for my quota of useless trivia today.

Back