Yakkety yak - don't talk back!

Never got round to reading all those Tarzan and Carter novels. Did read all the Robert E. Howard's Conan novels though... I even wrote my intended profession in my first grade class as "Barbarian" which was probably the standout entry of the 40+ kids in my class.

Ah, to be young and foolish again...

Andrew Limsk

When you get going, AC, you'll also require a sound system to play Tuuvan throat singing ( for those who remember James Mattis ) now and then so the yaks don't get homesick.

A homesick yak is really really something you don't want to listen to!

Ummm,

Rusty, I'm not sure there was going to be any electricity. ... at least for luxuries like sound systems. Would Buddy howling do??? (100 lbs of furry Scottish Deerhound/Old English Sheepdog). He kind of sounds like a Wookie when he gets going. :)

Not exactly Tuuvan throat singing. ... but about as good as I can get. (BTW... I saw throat singing tapes somewhere in my research journeys on the net. ... just don't remember where :rolleyes: ).

Alan

Alan,

There is a GREAT movie on Tuvan throat singing you have to see! Its usually on Sundance or Indep.film channel. I can't remember the name of it but its a story of an american guy name Paul Pena(sp), a creole blues singer who learns to tuvan throat sing and takes a trip to Tuva with a film crew. Great movie and great people. The people remind me of what I'd imagine Nepali people to be like in hospitality and friendliness/graciousness. I'll email you the name if it comes to me--killed alot of braincells when I used to drink;)

I don't know about Sherpa music either, but I'm willing to take your word on it.

I think that's called learning from other's mistakes.:p :p :D

Originally posted by MauiRob
There is a GREAT movie on Tuvan throat singing you have to see! Its usually on Sundance or Indep.film channel.

Rob,

I'd love to see it, but I don't have TV. ... at least not until I move back to Rapid City. Well, maybe I'll go haul it over here. .. but then I can only get the basic cable channels. ... nothing fancy :(

But if you remember, do e-mail it to me. I'll go over to the library and see if they can get it. Libraries are amazing things. ... they have a ton of stuff. ... I guess I should have set foot inside one when I was in college :D:D

Alan

If this is zero dark thirty for you, it's 9:30 PM for me. Anyway, maybe the yaks would settle for Sherpa music. Sounds like Uncle Bill has some that he'd be glad to donate to you if he can get Yangdu out of the house long enough to box it up for you.

On the other hand, these yaks are born and raised right here in the US of A, who can tell? They might be into the Nashville sound. It's possible?:D :D :D

Or even John Denver? "...Colorado Rocky Mountain high-eeeeeeee"

That would definitely get Buddy howling :D

The yaks here in America would probably like country better than sherpa or throat singing. ... I remember when I was in Germany, I couldn't figure out why the local dogs wouldn't respond too well when I would call them over for a scratch. ... it didn't dawn on me that they didn't speak English, but German. ... :D

Genghis Blues!!

I searched on Google and found it by searching the american guys name--Paul Pena. Hope you guys can find it--its really worth watching, but even more worth listening to. You won't believe your ears!! These guys sing up to four notes at the same time:eek:

Already? Again? Shheeeshhhh, I just took them only yesterday.;) :p :D

May have to check out the Genghis Blues--Saw some Tibetian monks perform a few years ago, and throat singing was included. Quite amazing. And even many rows back, in a quite large auditorium, you could sense the serenity and presence of the elders. An almost palpable something that I never experienced in church when I attended as a youngin' (haven't been for a long while...).

Richard Feynman, a pretty well known physics professor from Caltech took a trip to Tuva to see throat singers and where they come from more than a few years ago. PBS broadcat a show which included this trip and the extensive hurdles overcome to make it. It's one of those very few things on TV that you keep wishing that you could have taped.

Richard Feynman, a pretty well known physics professor from Caltech took a trip to Tuva to see throat singers and where they come from more than a few years ago. PBS broadcat a show which included this trip and the extensive hurdles overcome to make it. It's one of those very few things on TV that you keep wishing that you could have taped.

I'd like to see that one. I know what you mean about tv. Seem like I worry about taping crappy network series shows and miss taping things like Genghis Blues!

I was telling Rob about a CD I play just about daily of some monks from Swayambunath doing chants which might be similar.

Back