Yakut Knife Info.

I have recently been interested in learning more about Yakut-style knives. I was wondering if the forum could point me in the direction of some historical and general construction information about them, or offer up any knowledge you might have about them. They don't seem to be very popular compared to Puukkos, which if i'm not mistaken, seem to be intended for similar uses (at least in era they were created) except that the Yakut looks more suited for finer cutting and slicing that the Puukko.

From what I gather they are forged stick-tang blades with a chisel grind, 4-5 inches in blade length. they seem to have a convex grind on one side, and a flat on the other with a hollowed out fuller-like depression (what is this for?). They are made to process fish, and perform general cutting tasks which were mostly on wood or leather.

Are there any specific construction methods, uses, or other major differences between Yakutians and Puukkos?

Which design might suit the modern outdoorsman better for tasks like general bushcrafting, carving, simple cutting tasks around camp, and possibly processing game?

Finally, what are the reasons for the differences between Puukkos and Yakuts, why do puukkos have relatively obtuse zero grinds, and yakuts have convexed chisel grinds for example?

Thanks everyone! :)

Great video.

There are some people on Bladeforums who make (and sometimes sell) Yakut knives.

A thread by the great makandr makandr explaining the Yakut knife and showing antique knives:
https://bladeforums.com/threads/yakut-knives.650178/

@G.Menchev makes them.

And this fellow knows about them too: @космос
https://bladeforums.com/threads/yakut-national-knife.1324862/ also

I think the Yakut knives are super cool and should make some out of titanium alloy.

*EDIT* fixed the links

Last edited:
Yakut and Evenki knives are more similar in geometry to Japanese carving knives, rather than puukkos. The added groove reduces the knife weight and the friction when cutting with the flat bevel pressed against the wood and pulling the knife towards the chest.

The most complete information on the network about the Yakut knife it remains to learn Russian ....
https://rusknife.com/topic/10279-якутский-нож/
The form of the Yakut knife is designed to make sliced planed - frozen raw fish, horse meat, venison. I really like sliced slanted with ice cold vodka...
Some of my Yakut knives.
fc1e2fb8b180.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the links, Makandr.

I have Yakut knives everywhere ...
353ebe932779.jpg

5828dec7c82a.jpg

90d6707a2fc9.jpg

Are Yakut knives used as all-purpose knives, or are they specialty and used exclusively for fish and meat planing, like with filet knife?

All-purpose knives.
Yakut knives on the style of production and use are divided into twelve varieties:
1. Oyuu bysychchata - a knife for drawing patterns on wooden products. Blade length 3-5 cm.
2. Otsut bysychchata - knife doctor, healer, with a very thin and sharp tip of the blade. Blade length 3-7 cm.
3. Wall of the Bychchanar Bysschchat - a knife for the boy. Blade length 7-11 cm
4. Die - wat bysagh - home knife. Blade length 9-14 cm.
5. Tabasit bysa6a - a knife for cutting the carcass of a deer, the knife's edge is very thin and beak. The blade is thin, one might say, "gentle." Blade length 9-12 cm.
6. Kyra bult bysaga - a small knife of the hunter. Blade length 9-14 cm. Soft hardening.
7. Balyksyt bysag - fisherman's knife. The blade is wide, thin butt, the tip is slightly bent to the top. The handle is typed from birch bark.
8. Boult bysag - hunting knife. Blade length 15-18 cm.
9. Mas uusun bysychchata - cabinetry knife. For cutting out curly pieces of furniture and other wood products. Blade length up to 12 cm.
10. Mas uusun bysagh - cabinetry knife. For machining large parts with a wide, thin blade. Hard hardened.
11. Badayi - a large knife. Blade length up to 25 cm.
12. Bolo bysakh - even larger and heavier, blade length up to 30 cm. These two types of knives are long-length, designed for heavy work. For example, for butchering large animals, for cutting through ice, for cutting willow, shoots, etc.

All-purpose knives.
Yakut knives on the style of production and use are divided into twelve varieties:
1. Oyuu bysychchata - a knife for drawing patterns on wooden products. Blade length 3-5 cm.
2. Otsut bysychchata - knife doctor, healer, with a very thin and sharp tip of the blade. Blade length 3-7 cm.
3. Wall of the Bychchanar Bysschchat - a knife for the boy. Blade length 7-11 cm
4. Die - wat bysagh - home knife. Blade length 9-14 cm.
5. Tabasit bysa6a - a knife for cutting the carcass of a deer, the knife's edge is very thin and beak. The blade is thin, one might say, "gentle." Blade length 9-12 cm.
6. Kyra bult bysaga - a small knife of the hunter. Blade length 9-14 cm. Soft hardening.
7. Balyksyt bysag - fisherman's knife. The blade is wide, thin butt, the tip is slightly bent to the top. The handle is typed from birch bark.
8. Boult bysag - hunting knife. Blade length 15-18 cm.
9. Mas uusun bysychchata - cabinetry knife. For cutting out curly pieces of furniture and other wood products. Blade length up to 12 cm.
10. Mas uusun bysagh - cabinetry knife. For machining large parts with a wide, thin blade. Hard hardened.
11. Badayi - a large knife. Blade length up to 25 cm.
12. Bolo bysakh - even larger and heavier, blade length up to 30 cm. These two types of knives are long-length, designed for heavy work. For example, for butchering large animals, for cutting through ice, for cutting willow, shoots, etc.

That is very cool. Thanks for the information.

Back