Y'all filled up the server hard drives. Again.

Kevin Spark Spark

What am I missing here? An extra 50gb HD space needed? is this 2009? Is a server HD different?

Educate me. I'd have 10TB worth of server space available? You need 'Enterprise level' servers, I am reading. Not home duty.

There is a tone of blame in your post. WHAT is your vibrant online community doing wrong? Certainly not hosting too many images.... :oops:

Hows that upgrade to the next version of Xenforo software happening? What would it take in resources or funding to make this happen. Every third post is about image hosting. Let the software downsize it. You can do better for your clients.

I'm in business. I know well how to please my clients: I inform them. I never get a concise answer to your posts.

I ask pointed questions because we want/need/deserve to know.

Thank you.

Jim

Kevin Spark Spark

What am I missing here? An extra 50gb HD space needed? is this 2009? Is a server HD different?

Educate me. I'd have 10TB worth of server space available? You need 'Enterprise level' servers, I am reading. Not home duty.

There is a tone of blame in your post. WHAT is your vibrant online community doing wrong? Certainly not hosting too many images.... :oops:

Hows that upgrade to the next version of Xenforo software happening? What would it take in resources or funding to make this happen. Every third post is about image hosting. Let the software downsize it. You can do better for your clients.

I'm in business. I know well how to please my clients: I inform them. I never get a concise answer to your posts.

Thank you.

Jim
Well said. Yeah, WE filled up the server hard drives. Again.

No accountability on BF’s part, it’s our fault for contributing too much...

It would be a good move to let us know what’s going to be done about it in the future and maybe even an apology for reoccurring bad service.

Last edited:
Kevin Spark Spark

Thank you.

Jim

Remember when there was BladeForums swag for sale? Shirts, patches, etc.. There were people waiting for months after it was announced to simply place an order, only to go unfulfilled. Seems like nothing has changed, things just get pushed off and the members here are simply viewed as “participants” and not “contributors”.

Remember when there was BladeForums swag for sale? Shirts, patches, etc.. There were people waiting for months after it was announced to simply place an order, only to go unfulfilled. Seems like nothing has changed, things just get pushed off and the members here are simply viewed as “participants” and not “contributors”.

Well, except for that sweet membership fee that thousands and thousands of members, makers, and dealers have paid. Huh, wonder how many hard drives and yearly database and site management that sort of cake could swing? o_O

Y'all are taking what should have obviously been a joke and being mad about it. IDK how much space you use up, I'm just bemused by how quick it goes.

Server HD space isn't the same as a home PC. 10 TB at the server level in a virtual environment is insane, this isn't your home NAS occasionally serving up a movie to your media center. Our disks are under constant load and we're passing through 70+ gb of data in 24 hour periods.

Re: XF2 & server updates, we're waiting on return of quotes from the hosting company for that & load balancing solutions. All of which takes time for specialized consultants to make sure the process works and has to be coordinated with multiple groups. All of this takes money, which I refuse to beg or cajole or wheedle for. If I didn't give a shit this place would be flooded with video ads and a lot more banners everywhere. I'm turning down offers couple weeks for additional monetization paths that I refuse to do because it'd destroy what we've built.

Merch has been up on the site for a long time: https://www.bladeforums.com/help/bfcmerch/ I still have piles of patches and shirts. I have no backorders or backlogs.

As for "sweet membership fees" I resent the implication that I'm laying back and just swimming in dough here. I drive a beat up 4Runner and go to work 6 days a week. I haven't taken a vacation in nearly a decade. I'm up late worried about the economy and making my mortgage payment and a host of other stuff. I'm not living high on the fucking hog as ANYONE who knows me can tell you.

Last edited:
FWIW,
I'm an IT Director, and depending on a number of factors, yes, it can be a real pain-in-the-ass to add additional HDD space to a server in a datacenter. Unless Spark owns his own server, almost all servers these days are one of many Virtual Machines that run on a single Host Machine or Host Cluster (like AWS), so there ARE no HDD's in the server, they're in a bank of disk drives called a SAN (Storage Area Network) in the datacenter.

If you don't own the hardware, the disk space for hosted virtual machine systems has to be purchased from the hosting company (and it ain't $28 per Tb like it is if you buy an enterprise class 8Tb HDD). It's offered in various size chunks that you have to pay for monthly as part of your site hosting fees and most only buy what they need when they need it. It's not fiscally viable to pay for multiple Tb's of disk space ya ain't using.

FWIW,
I'm an IT Director, and depending on a number of factors, yes, it can be a real pain-in-the-ass to add additional HDD space to a server in a datacenter. Unless Spark owns his own server, almost all servers these days are one of many Virtual Machines that run on a single Host Machine or Host Cluster (like AWS), so there ARE no HDD's in the server, they're in a bank of disk drives called a SAN (Storage Area Network) in the datacenter.

If you don't own the hardware, the disk space for hosted virtual machine systems has to be purchased from the hosting company (and it ain't $28 per Tb like it is if you buy an enterprise class 8Tb HDD). It's offered in various size chunks that you have to pay for monthly as part of your site hosting fees and most only buy what they need when they need it. It's not fiscally viable to pay for multiple Tb's of disk space ya ain't using.

BINGO. Today we had 40 minutes of downtime at 1pm in order to add the addition 50gb, which required

1 Create a snapshot of [webserver]
2. Attach a GParted Live disk to the VM
3. Log into the VM and reboot it
4. Once the GParted live disk boots, add the unallocated space to /dev/sda3
5 Remove the disk and reboot the server
6. Once the server is back online, expand the disk - resize2fs /dev/sda3
7. ensure that the new disk space is reflected. df -h

Test Plan / ensure that the new disk space is reflected. df -h

Rollback Plan: Revert the snapshot

All of that was out of my hands. I had to schedule this 2 days in advance and wait for them to do it. And we're filling up gB of space weekly on various logs alone, not to mention everything else.

So it's not just plug & play, and I appreciate patience. Having downtime tears me up.

Y'all are taking what should have obviously been a joke and being mad about it. IDK how much space you use up, I'm just bemused by how quick it goes.

Server HD space isn't the same as a home PC. 10 TB at the server level in a virtual environment is insane, this isn't your home NAS occasionally serving up a movie to your media center. Our disks are under constant load and we're passing through 70+ gb of data in 24 hour periods.

Re: XF2 & server updates, we're waiting on return of quotes from the hosting company for that & load balancing solutions. All of which takes time for specialized consultants to make sure the process works and has to be coordinated with multiple groups. All of this takes money, which I refuse to beg or cajole or wheedle for. If I didn't give a shit this place would be flooded with video ads and a lot more banners everywhere. I'm turning down offers couple weeks for additional monetization paths that I refuse to do because it'd destroy what we've built.

Merch has been up on the site for a long time: https://www.bladeforums.com/help/bfcmerch/ I still have piles of patches and shirts. I have no backorders or backlogs.

As for "sweet membership fees" I resent the implication that I'm laying back and just swimming in dough here. I drive a beat up 4Runner and go to work 6 days a week. I haven't taken a vacation in nearly a decade. I'm up late worried about the economy and making my mortgage payment and a host of other stuff. I'm not living high on the fucking hog as ANYONE who knows me can tell you.

As I made the sweet membership fee comment, I will expand on my insinuation. This place has had connectivity issues for months. It varies for people, but for me, for something like six months straight, this site became virtually inaccessible from between 9:15PM and 10:30PM EVERY NIGHT. This thread is from February:

https://bladeforums.com/threads/server-issues-bfc.1710061/page-25#post-20163242

So, I don't know what it costs to run this place, but when there are issues that haven't been resolved fully, yes I'll make a snide crack about where the money goes. I wasn't actually implying that you're living some life of wealth and luxury, however it may be worth your time to look at other providers because whatever you've been promised for your money, I'm pretty sure you aren't receiving it. Any company that provides web hosting services, and who knows that the majority of the client base for one of their customers' sites, who decides to do an integration or update at 1 in the afternoon? Those guys are clownshoes.

FWIW,

I'm in the IT/Cybersecurity field myself, and have some understanding of servers and their operations. In our direct case at my site, it's quite easy to upgrade our situation to scale to meet demand. Sure, it costs money, but if you're already bringing money in with fees...I mean...(shrug)?

Secondly, I am good friends with a pair of brothers who own a company which has two data farms, and operate a server cluster that rents/sells storage, web services/hosting, optimization, and computing power to a wide variety of clients. I can tell you that while packages DO scale in price, it's absolutely not a monumental disparity from one plan to the next unless you're going from hosting a single website with barely any back-end, to suddenly trying to be the next Ebay.

So, I don't know what it costs to run this place, but when there are issues that haven't been resolved fully, yes I'll make a snide crack about where the money goes. I wasn't actually implying that you're living some life of wealth and luxury, however it may be worth your time to look at other providers because whatever you've been promised for your money, I'm pretty sure you aren't receiving it. Any company that provides web hosting services, and who knows that the majority of the client base for one of their customers' sites, who decides to do an integration or update at 1 in the afternoon? Those guys are clownshoes.
1 in the afternoon is a relatively slow time for us but thanks for your keen insight into how we should best work around the scheduled availability of a third party's network operations personnel.

I'm in the IT/Cybersecurity field myself, and have some understanding of servers and their operations. In our direct case at my site, it's quite easy to upgrade our situation to scale to meet demand. Sure, it costs money, but if you're already bringing money in with fees...I mean...(shrug)?
Your situation isn't our situation and this isn't an oracle db nor is it easy to scale on demand. Our site is an edge case for this software.

Secondly, I am good friends with a pair of brothers who own a company which has two data farms, and operate a server cluster that rents/sells storage, web services/hosting, optimization, and computing power to a wide variety of clients. I can tell you that while packages DO scale in price, it's absolutely not a monumental disparity from one plan to the next unless you're going from hosting a single website with barely any back-end, to suddenly trying to be the next Ebay.
Dope, happy for you. In the meantime your attitude is noted.

I always compress my photos before I upload them. I figured that would help.

1 in the afternoon is a relatively slow time for us but thanks for your keen insight into how we should best work around the scheduled availability of a third party's network operations personnel.

Your situation isn't our situation and this isn't an oracle db nor is it easy to scale on demand. Our site is an edge case for this software.

Dope, happy for you. In the meantime your attitude is noted.

Well, threats are always nice. Much appreciated.

There's no threat implied at all. I'm remarking that your attitude is noted, which is a kind way of saying you are being an ass when you don't know the situation here and are extrapolating your personal experience with what we have going on. None of which fixes the problems I'm dealing with, nor endears you to me in the slightest.

I appreciate that you are a paid subscriber. I'm doing what I can to resolve this issue. If you aren't happy, you've made that known.

What’s with all the thin skin around here? I obviously took the “y’all filled up the servers” thing as a joke.

Pretty disrespectful for people to run up in here taking cheap shots at HPIC, making remarks about his profit (none of your business) and trying to tell him how to run his site.

Got a better way to do it? Go make your own site.

What’s with all the thin skin around here? I obviously took the “y’all filled up the servers” thing as a joke.

Pretty disrespectful for people to run up in here taking cheap shots at HPIC, making remarks about his profit (none of your business) and trying to tell him how to run his site.

Got a better way to do it? Go make your own site.

There's been plenty of frustration over the last few months and rightly so, the site's been having issues and it affects a lot of people. For the most part people are looking for solutions, but text is a bad conveyor of emotion so different people read different posts differently and react accordingly.

Regardless, let's try to behave and leave personal jabs out of this thread from now on.

There's been plenty of frustration over the last few months and rightly so, the site's been having issues and it affects a lot of people. For the most part people are looking for solutions, but text is a bad conveyor of emotion so different people read different posts differently and react accordingly.

Regardless, let's try to behave and leave personal jabs out of this thread from now on.
Sure thing, but I wouldn’t call disrespectful jabs at Spark with regard to site income a “bad conveyance of emotion”. It’s pretty clear what the intent was.

I’ll exit this, but forgive me if I don’t join the little pile on. It’s uncalled for in my opinion.

Back