Y'all might think I'm crazy, but...

For starters, "it's not YOU, ... it's ME!" Nothing wrong with this knife. I simply prefer a little beefier, more hand-filling handle. Before I bought this, I looked for a loooooong time at the handle debating what I thought. I very nearly passed on the knife altogether, waiting for the FK2. But I had an idea, and I want to challenge myself. I have said elsewhere, I honestly look at the handle of a knife - any knife - to see if it would lend itself as a platform to do what I do. When I studied this knife, instead of taking a pass, I got it to see if I could rise to the (personal) challenge.

Again, no disrespect to Nathan or knock on this knife. There isn't a single detail on this, or any CPK, that isn't purposeful and performance-driven.

I just want something a little different in the handle for my personal tastes. I'll try to pull this off with excellence. I'll not alter the base knife. I have done alterations to handles and made filler pieces before to extend the tang. (In one case the maker implemented the idea on his next run of that knife.) This project will not require messing with the base knife at all.

Wish me luck, or tell me I'm an idiot. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
The handle and how it fits in your hand is the final test of a knife before use. If it does not fit well, then I don't even get to use, which really defeats the purpose in buying Nathan's knives in the first place (at least for me). I know you already know this, but take your time, plan three steps ahead of you next step, and enjoy the process. It will come together very nicely I am sure.

interesting exercise, but I think you'll find you might lose a lot of the functionality designed into the og handle. Fortunately, the base won't be changed, in which case the original handle will still be usable.

I modify the handles of some of my knives sometimes for a more tailored fit, and have built a handle or two for bare blades I've received. Curious to see how this turns out

The handle and how it fits in your hand is the final test of a knife before use. If it does not fit well, then I don't even get to use, which really defeats the purpose in buying Nathan's knives in the first place (at least for me). I know you already know this, but take your time, plan three steps ahead of you next step, and enjoy the process. It will come together very nicely I am sure.

Thanks. Yes, the plan is key. For me, I know when I'm on to something when I lose sleep. I've done a fair few of these, but this project has my creative juices flowing.

Also, for those with an eye for detail... the little scallop on the top line at the front of the handle is a shelf for my thumb. A thumb-on-top grip is hard for me. I like my thumb alongside the spine.

I simply prefer a little beefier, more hand-filling handle.

I do too. Looking forward to this to see what you come up with.

There's some trade-off here, with slimmer being a little less bulk to conceal and carry near your body on a model like this. Another option you could consider at some point (that I would be very interested in ;)) would be a Shiv-sized set. They kind of fall between the UF and HDFK in thickness, and are a bit more hand filling with the same basic UF shape, and a little more tang obviously.

xaFXLqPl.jpg

I do too. Looking forward to this to see what you come up with.

There's some trade-off here, with slimmer being a little less bulk to conceal and carry near your body on a model like this. Another option you could consider at some point (that I would be very interested in ;)) would be a Shiv-sized set. They kind of fall between the UF and HDFK in thickness, and are a bit more hand filling with the same basic UF shape, and a little more tang obviously.

xaFXLqPl.jpg

I swapped my UF scales with Shiv scales as soon as I received my UF. They fit “pretty good”. The only differance I noticed was at the thumb ramp. The UF scales seem to be ever so slightly different at this spot.

I will also add that the UF did not fit the Mashed Cat sheath with the Shiv scales so I swapped them back right away.

ETA - I need a set of the original diamond quilted black canvas scales for my UF ;)

Last edited:
... I think you'll find you might lose a lot of the functionality designed into the og handle.

Lorien Lorien I'd love to here you elaborate on this specific point. Just making conversation, but I am looking to add functionality by giving some more purchase on a draw-stroke (removing the blade from being stuck/embedded/stabbed). I'm thinking about the tapered handle at the back end, with a longer blade (say longer than 5", for discussion). When a knife has a bit more blade, a taper seems (purely my opinion) to accentuate the blade forward feel, and I'm trying to counter-act this with the above shape. I find a flared back end helps this. With purpose/performance in mind, I sketched out the above shape.

I would love your expert eye and comment on what you believe would be compromised. I am sure the original handle design considered a large number of factors, and I'd really like to hear your view on what functionality I'm altering.

Let me preface by sayin that you (Tony) are a very talented artisan / craftsman which again is stating the obvious for those of us who have known you for a while having seen your past projects (again, as a hobby, NOT meant as solicitation of extra outside work).

You seem to be set on challenging yourself to an extra quantum level by tinkering with the dimensions of the handle scales, which on a personal level can be both daunting and gratifying, but be cognizant of the fact that you may alter the balance of the UF at the expense of a set of custom fitted handle scales. To me, Nathan dials in the balance perfectly with his designs which incorporate from, function and utility.

I am certain that as an engineer you've already considered such angle, but nevertheless worthwhile to refer to what Lorien has already touched up :)

... be cognizant of the fact that you may alter the balance of the UF at the expense of a set of custom fitted handle scales. To me, Nathan dials in the balance perfectly with his designs which incorporate from, function and utility.

Please explain balance in this context.

Please explain balance in this context.

I went to find the original link to the UF WIP, but sadly it seems that gem has also fallen victim to certain data that did not migrate to the new Blade Forum servers since the migration :( Has anyone else noticed this with the original UF WIP thread?

To me, the balance is the weight size ratio and the way that Nathan dials in the pivotal (balance) point, aka the center of the gravity of his knives, for a lack of better technical term.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. I know the term. I was wondering what perceived benefits there are. Many of my forged work knives balance at the ricasso or bolster while the stamped blades tend to be handle heavy. I never noticed a benefit either way. To put that into context I rarely spend more than a few minutes performing a repetitive task. Sometimes up to 20 minutes of chopping (say herbs) on a cutting board have revealed flaws in the handle design.

From what I've found out by being around Nathan's subforum and his knives, by reading his WIP writings and generally very informative posts, I have come to find out that Nathan spends a lot of time and thoughts, almost obsessively, via multiple handle scales designs and constant improvements to minimize the dreaded hot spots, which I think is the issue which you are raising, am I correct?

You could say that CPKs tend to feel more leaning in the hand, but that's why I fell in love with the original FK; it just felt so right to me when I held it. That is what I found to be the genius of Nathan's knives as opposed to some other stamped varieties as you put it. Seemed to me like something was forced with the other brands to change the balance. I'm speaking layman terms here though!

Apologies to Tony if this is construed as derailment.

Back