• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Yanagi-ba

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is my interpretation of the traditional Japanese "Yanagi-ba". This blade is typically referred to as a "sushi knife", although it is also used for sashimi.

The blade is made from differentially heat treated 1095 steel, hardened to 60 - 61 HRC for outstanding edge retention. The blade features a very nice hamon, however I had a bit of difficulty capturing it completely due to it being overcast today. I performed all heat treat and tempering operations using my computer controlled heat treat oven. The blade features a very fine hand rubbed finish that is both attractive and practical.

The knife ground with a chisel grind for a right hand user. The side opposite the primary grind features a urasuki grind. This is essentially a full height hollow grind across the entire length and width of the blade. This unique feature increases performance, and is common among high end Japanese style kitchen knives.

The handle is crafted from Honduran Rosewood, and is octagon shaped. Honduran Rosewood is an excellent choice for this type of knife, as it is durable and naturally oily. I crafted the handle using a three piece construction method. This is more time intensive to do, but ensures that the blade is well fitted in the handle and centered. The handle has been taken to a fine finish, then buffed. It is smooth, yet not slick. There is a steel pin in the handle, and West System epoxy was also used to secure the handle. The blade to handle fit is very secure and tight; the handle is not coming off!

This is a great knife that performs quite well in the kitchen!

I have enclosed a brief Youtube video of the knife in action. I'm not much of a chef, but this knife is clearly a very efficient slicer!

[video=youtube;WhVNJ5ojP9o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVNJ5ojP9o[/video]

- Visible Hamon
- 60 - 61 HRC
- 3/16" Stock
- Fine Hand Rubbed Finish
- Chisel Grind (Right Hand)
- Urasuki Grind Opposite Primary Grid
- 13" OAL, Cutting Edge of About 8"
- Phenomenally Sharp
- Kydex Sheath Included For Shipping and Storage

$245

This price includes shipping (with insurance and tracking number) and all fees anywhere in the world.

PayPal or money order preferred.

PayPal Address:

lmjmitchell@gmail.com

**Please be sure to include the “L” at the beginning of my email address when using PayPal. Two customers recently omitted the “L”, and the funds were accidentally sent to someone else. The money was immediately refunded, but it created a bit of confusion.**

Thanks for looking!

DSCN4379.JPG

DSCN4392.JPG

DSCN4353.JPG

DSCN4359.JPG

DSCN4365.JPG

DSCN4367.JPG

DSCN4395.JPG

Sushi2.JPG

Sushi3.JPG
Sushi.JPG

Last edited: