Yay SP-10 for a quarter! First Ontario!

Hey al!

I know. another SP-10 thread. Sorry lol. Didn't wanna hijack someone else's cuz I have a cool story and some questions.

I was having an insanely terrible day a couple days ago. But then a friend stopped by on the way to work to drop off a present! Hands me a brand new Marine Raider Bowie and says "You owe me a Quarter." So I payed up, per old superstition.

I had wanted a big camp bowie for awhile, so this made my day. I honed it right away and tried it out with the factory grind Mine must be an older one because the edge was around 40 degrees per side. The coating was also really rough and wimpy. I heard the newer generations were a little upgraded.

Either way, I LOVE this thing. I have been familiar with Ontario and the SP line for years. None ever sang to me, including this one. But damn once you get ahold of it and play a little while, SOLD! Weird how some knives are like that, ey?

It performed OK for chopping, but the first thing I did was took it to a stone and thinned the shoulders back to around 15 degrees per side, slightly convex. I haven't put it through many paces besides some chopping and grass mowing with the honed edge, and then some minor whittling and kitchen stuff after the reprofile. The results were what you'd expect, respectively. I am itching to take it out for some real fun if I get the chance!

Unfortunately, my area REALLY sucks as far as fun outdoorsy stuff to do (nothing whatsoever besides sappy evergreens, no fires, can't chop down anything, all land is national forest), so my enjoyment for the time being will be making it my own! Planning on stripping it, then smoothing and maybe even grinding down the guard. Then a patina. Maybe a rehandle if I can figure out an idiot easy way to do it.

Couple questions.
I searched around but didn't get a definitive answer, so I'll double check:

1 - Can I safely strip this thing without damaging the handle?? I don't know how the chemicals will affect the Kraton. Can anyone advise?

2 - Mine has the thin leather sheath with nylon front. I like it just fine, but I am wondering about the all-Cordura one for silence and comfort. What are your thoughts?

3 - And of course, please share your cool ideas! Favorite patina method, sheath makers, re handles. Or stories or pics!

I can tell this thing is popular here. Hope to hear some good news and good ideas!

Thx for your time guys.

1. Some one way more qualified can answer that than me.
2. A newer nylon sheath can be had from other web sites, but some one here will say "KYDEX IT!" :D
3. See number 1.

Congratulations! Its a pretty useful general purpose knife. Mine are beater/abuse blades also the "oops I forgot the main chopper!" blade. Some people introduced them to it like the "one with the hilt!" and don't bother with the SP-53 and such, but they got other woodsy tools, but do like a SP-5.

Right?

I was very impressed by the overall usability of this monster. I played with different grips and techniques and ended up pleasantly surprised. This could really be your "One be-all, Book of Eli survival blade!"

I might consider custom kydex in the distant future, but I'll have to have the chance to use the snot out of it so I can decide what I want in the sheath, and if the cost is worth it. I like kydex, but not as much as most people. I can take it or leave it.

For now I'm just looking forward to getting the coating off and smoothing things up a bit!

Thx.

The SP-10 is an all can do knife but hilt pummel as it has no solid pommel. But for what you get for the money, that is still worth the knife!

Congratulations are in order for the blade and for having such an awesome friend.
You don’t need harsh stripper to get the coat off—citristrip and /or a wire wheel on a drill will take care of it without the dangers/fumes inherent in stuff like jasco paint stripper.
The half leather sheath is far superior in terms of durability to the newer, cheaper sheath shipping nowadays. If you can’t make your own leather replacement, keep the one it came with is my opinion.

I've been really warming up to the sheath I have, and agree! I posted too soon lol.

I haven't tried stripping a coating before. Heard of the wheel thing but will that scratch the blade finish?

And I hear Kraton is pretty impervious to chemicals. But paint stripper is pretty harsh stuff so one must be cautious!

I've been really warming up to the sheath I have, and agree! I posted too soon lol.

I haven't tried stripping a coating before. Heard of the wheel thing but will that scratch the blade finish?

And I hear Kraton is pretty impervious to chemicals. But paint stripper is pretty harsh stuff so one must be cautious!

I’ve used the wire wheel to “clean up” every large blade I’ve stripped, otw it would take forever! Just make sure it’s the softer one (if there are different kinds).

Back