YCS 17" 28 oz short review

I just remembered that i said i'd post some pics and a short review when i got this thing, that was about 8 months ago.

The first khukuri i got, i didn't know what to expect so when it arrived i was stunned by its craftsmanship and appearance, i thought to myself "something this nice looking would fall apart if i used it".
Five minutes later i was out the back splitting redgum into kindling and just generally using it wrong, but it stood up to my abuse without a hint of damage.

The other day i took down a dead tea-tree that was covered in honeysuckle, and now that i know how to use it right it was easy to chop through the trunk and slice the vines.
Everytime i use it im impressed by how it eats through wood, it always seems faster and easier than the alternatives, and its way more enjoyable.

I really found my perfect khukuri on my first buy, the blade shape is so versatile, and the weight, length and handle size are all spot on. It's as though it were made for me.

8-27-09002.jpg

DCFC0001a.jpg

I've modified the sheath to be thinner and lower riding than how it was originally.
The kardas it came with are still being used, i keep the pictured one with the YCS for its thinness and also because it matches.
The awl is in the garage, i didn't have one before the YCS but it turns out to be pretty useful.

Thank you to everyone who has ever shared a bit of knowledge about using and caring for khukuris, if it weren't for you i'd still be treating it like a hatchet.
A special thanks to Yangdu and Yvsa for bringing out this model, and Sher the tiger for making this particular one. :thumbup:

(Reading through again it seems more of a thumbs-up to HI, khukuris and the community than a review...close enough.)

If anyone has a question, ask away.

Thanks for your impressions on using the YCS on the downunder hardwoods like the redgum. :thumbup:

Congrat's on getting your perfect Khuk on the first go as it took me eight try's before finding 'the one' but how many folks stop at just one Khukuri in any case? ;)

Thanks guys, it was pretty lucky to choose such an all-rounder for my first, it makes a good reference to compare my others to.
The YCS can handle the redgum fine, but it's easier with a chopper like the WWII.

Great review and Pix, thank you

Great review. I've heard you now have to have a special permit in Australia for blades larger than a couple inches. Any truth to that?

I'm not even sure anymore bennyjenkins, knife crime has risen recently so laws and legislation are being reinterpreted to crack down on it.

It used to be pretty clear, swords and daggers were prohibited unless one had an exemption through various organisations or for religious reasons. I joined the only knife club in Australia (the AKC) just to make sure i would be OK, but i just found out that they have relinquished the exemptions they had specifically to stop people from owning swords.
One of the objectives of the AKC is to protect the interests of knife enthusiasts, and i'm pretty angry that they threw that out for what i see as invalid reasons, i won't be renewing my membership. (That is kind of a seperate subject, but i rarely get a chance to whinge.)

So, short answer is i don't know, and right now i think it just depends on the personal opinion of whoever is in charge.

Back