yellow jacket pic and question

20130401152305_zpsc6b945ba.jpg
[/IMG] does anyone know anything about these like the year they were made and if they are rare thanks for info

They're hard to come by and I haven't seen those handles very often on any pattern. I collect Camillus 72s and their clones and the only reason I have one with those handles is because it was gifted to me by a very generous fellow collector. During my search, I think I only saw one on eBay.

Those handles don't show up in any of the Camillus catalogs I have access to so any guess as to the years made would just be that, a guess. I hope someone comes along who has some information on them. I too would love to know.
Camillus_72-Yello-Jaket.JPG

Last edited:
Those were a special order made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I don't remember the exact year but ballpark would be 2002. They were made in a couple different patterns also.

yes they were bought from smokey mountain knife works and give to me by my dad he bought the set which came with four of them which included a stockman big trapper a tiny trapper and a whittler I believe and he gave me 2 and he kept one the other was lost he said the set was called the swarm but he couldn't remember when he bought them I cant find nothing on them on the internet not even a picture and ive been looking on and off for awhile

I have this Yello-Jaket. It has pretty bad f&f, but comes in a nice wooden box and is very affordable.

$(KGrHqR,!k4E5bksl,QHBOghC(uh0g~~60_3.JPG

Lynn -- I asked Tom Williams about those knives because I'm also interested. Looks like you already have your answers but just in case there's an unposted nugget in Tom's answer, I'll post it anyway.

"Jerry,
Nice hearing from you. I remember seeing these knives in the factory around the early 2000's, maybe 2002-2003. They may have been a special knife that Camillus made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. We made many knives for SMKW using available parts. For several years Camillus owned 50% of Smoky Mountain Knife Works and knives made for them were very reasonably priced since Camillus would share the profits when the knives were sold.
You will not find this knife or any other knife made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works in any of the Camillus catalogs. They may have been in SMKW's catalogs.
I hope this information is helpful.
Tom"

I used this topic to show a picture of my new purchase.
Nothing unusual, just a Camillus Yello-Jaket Whittler #72Y
Yellow as this smile :).

0_9e1b4_74afd556_XL.jpg

I have wanted this particular knife for a long time to carry. Camillus Yello-Jaket 715. 3 1/8" lock back with a drop point blade. Very nice feeling knife in my hand.

Camillus_yello_715_f.JPG

Camillus_yello_715_b.JPG

Camillus_yello_715_fc.JPG

Camillus_yello_715_fo.JPG

They're hard to come by and I haven't seen those handles very often on any pattern. I collect Camillus 72s and their clones and the only reason I have one with those handles is because it was gifted to me by a very generous fellow collector. During my search, I think I only saw one on eBay.

Those handles don't show up in any of the Camillus catalogs I have access to so any guess as to the years made would just be that, a guess. I hope someone comes along who has some information on them. I too would love to know.
Camillus_72-Yello-Jaket.JPG
I have a set of 4 of these yellow jacket knives that were made for SMKW. Do you have any idea what they are worth?

William, welcome to the Camillus collectors forum. This topic is over 6 yrs. Old.
Plus, it requires a gold membership or above to ask value questions. DM

Back