• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Yet one more "Andre De Villiers doesn't know how to conduct himself" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooitzoo

Gold Member
TL;DR : Andre De Villiers makes a FB post, when respectfully questioned about it, he rushes to the wrong conclusion then harasses his past customer, ultimately posting up his location. Eventually clears the offending posts.

I've seen quite a few threads dealing with Andre's apparent inability to conduct himself civilly online and providing terrible customer service. Usually, I just write these off as a "one in a thousand" situation. I've recently experienced an interaction with Andre that can only be described as something out of the twilight zone. This guy is either illiterate, has no idea of what Facebook is and how to use it, or has an ego the size of Texas – my money is on all three.

Andre and I have been Facebook friends for over a year. I purchased a Ronin from him and kept him as a Facebook friend since. Recently, he posted about folks selling “NIB” Tac Butchers on Ebay; he seemed rather perturbed by this. I respectfully asked him, why was this a problem? If he doesn’t believe the knives to be knock-offs then it’s just someone (either a distributor or private individual) selling their property. I guess he took this to mean that I am the guy selling knockoffs on Ebay. Keep in mind, nothing in my post would suggest this to be the case; when I have time to edit out any personal info I will post the messages from Andre himself in the next post for reference.

The message from Andre starts with “Hi – do you have Butchers for sale on Ebay?” I tell him “No” and explain that I was simply asking a question. I wanted to know if he believed the Ebay knives to be knock-offs or not (something he has yet to answer.) He continues with “some guy thinks you do…” Again I tell him, he is misreading his own thread. I refer him to earlier in the FB message history where I made my purchase from him. Meanwhile, he started posting back in the thread with “He says he doesn’t have them” or “He says he’s not selling them”, etc. I politely explain, again, that I did not suggest that I was selling them but rather wanted to know if he believes them to be fakes. The next few posts are along the lines of “why are you defensive?” and border on harassment. At this point I tell him I want no further part in his non-sense and not to bother responding.

Then he tags me in the message and posts my location to say “well the auction is in Tennessee and this guy is in NY.” This is where I get rather irritated and ask him what his problem is. Aside from buying a knife from him and asking a rather simple question, I’ve not done anything to warrant this level of harassment from a maker that I’ve held in relatively high esteem. This is a clear use of privileged information (eg my purchase of his knife and relevant information) in order to publicly chastise a customer. I ask him WTF his problem is, and he responds with “you’re the problem, it seems.” At this point, I realize I am speaking to child with limited ability for civil conduct and ask him to take the information down. Eventually, after about 20 minutes of nonsensical back and forth, he relents and deletes the offending posts.

Needless to say, I will never deal with Andre again and would suggest that folks stay away. This experience makes me wonder how he has any business to speak of. Is this guy intentionally going out of his way to get rid of customers? The craziest part is, he has yet to opine on whether these are fakes or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
TL;DR : Andre De Villiers makes a FB post, when respectfully questioned about it, he rushes to the wrong conclusion then harasses his past customer, ultimately posting up his location. Eventually clears the offending posts.

I've seen quite a few threads dealing with Andre's apparent inability to conduct himself civilly online and providing terrible customer service. Usually, I just write these off as a "one in a thousand" situation. I've recently experienced an interaction with Andre that can only be described as something out of the twilight zone. This guy is either illiterate, has no idea of what Facebook is and how to use it, or has an ego the size of Texas – my money is on all three.

Andre and I have been Facebook friends for over a year. I purchased a Ronin from him and kept him as a Facebook friend since. Recently, he posted about folks selling “NIB” Tac Butchers on Ebay; he seemed rather perturbed by this. I respectfully asked him, why was this a problem? If he doesn’t believe the knives to be knock-offs then it’s just someone (either a distributor or private individual) selling their property. I guess he took this to mean that I am the guy selling knockoffs on Ebay. Keep in mind, nothing in my post would suggest this to be the case; when I have time to edit out any personal info I will post the messages from Andre himself in the next post for reference.

The message from Andre starts with “Hi – do you have Butchers for sale on Ebay?” I tell him “No” and explain that I was simply asking a question. I wanted to know if he believed the Ebay knives to be knock-offs or not (something he has yet to answer.) He continues with “some guy thinks you do…” Again I tell him, he is misreading his own thread. I refer him to earlier in the FB message history where I made my purchase from him. Meanwhile, he started posting back in the thread with “He says he doesn’t have them” or “He says he’s not selling them”, etc. I politely explain, again, that I did not suggest that I was selling them but rather wanted to know if he believes them to be fakes. The next few posts are along the lines of “why are you defensive?” and border on harassment. At this point I tell him I want no further part in his non-sense and not to bother responding.

Then he tags me in the message and posts my location to say “well the auction is in Tennessee and this guy is in NY.” This is where I get rather irritated and ask him what his problem is. Aside from buying a knife from him and asking a rather simple question, I’ve not done anything to warrant this level of harassment from a maker that I’ve held in relatively high esteem. This is a clear use of privileged information (eg my purchase of his knife and relevant information) in order to publicly chastise a customer. I ask him WTF his problem is, and he responds with “you’re the problem, it seems.” At this point, I realize I am speaking to child with limited ability for civil conduct and ask him to take the information down. Eventually, after about 20 minutes of nonsensical back and forth, he relents and deletes the offending posts.

Needless to say, I will never deal with Andre again and would suggest that folks stay away. This experience makes me wonder how he has any business to speak of. Is this guy intentionally going out of his way to get rid of customers? The craziest part is, he has yet to opine on whether these are fakes or not.

^^^
WOW!

FWIW: I came so close to pulling the trigger on a couple of ADV knives, this past year (I loved the design of a couple of his knives)...I'm now feeling fortunate, that I didn't.

Last edited:
Love his designs, but it just seems like this kind of thing is par for the course with this guy. It's a shame, but he certainly won't see any of my business.

I saw that post on FB earlier. The posts they referenced on Ebay were well over a month old and the seller is an ADV Authorized Dealer. All Andre had to do was say that they were not fakes and the post would/should of ended.

I saw that post on FB earlier. The posts they referenced on Ebay were well over a month old and the seller is an ADV Authorized Dealer. All Andre had to do was say that they were not fakes and the post would/should of ended.

Exactly.

Instead, in his infinite wisdom, Andre decided it better to turn it into a soap opera and harangue former (and, at the time, prospective) customer.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "massive ego" - he has a history of getting irritated and saying/doing rash things to customers. I had my own terrible experience with him as well. I'm just glad that the Butcher craze has slowed down finally, I would hate to watch people keep giving him more money.

NEVER will or have I considered a knife from this ego driven maker--Its a shame such a talented maker acts like such a child.........
His sales will eventually slow and word of mouth is a POWERFUL thing..YOU REAP what you sow.......
When I buy KNIFE FROM a maker or an individual..IT is now mine to do with it as I see fit..He has no longer
any involvement in my affairs from that point..If I sell an item for $1 or a $1.000.000
I just feel he is a unappreciative talent that has run his course.........

He's probably butthurt because a lot of his knives are never used and change hands like a hot potatoe.

Normally i try to Remain optimistic in regards to misunderstandinfpgs with makers. But imho ADV has just been the topic of these kinds of threads way too much to ignore the obvious. I would recommend adv get a handler for all social media if he wants to be successful.

Just adding that I too will never purchase a knife from him either.

I hate ego driven makers that use blind accusations to belittle a customer.

Thanks for sharing the info. This will factor into the equation if I ever decide to consider an ADV knife. What I take away from this is that good knife makers don't always make good businessmen.

As promised, here is the unedited (aside from personal info) FB message transcript:

September 13

9/13, 3:44pm
Andre De Villiers
Hey ooitzoo

OOITZOO
Hi

Andre De Villiers
I heard you have Butchers for sale?

OOITZOO
What?
No, I commented on your Facebook post

9/13, 3:45pm
Andre De Villiers
Some guys said you had a bunch for sale?

9/13, 3:47pm
OOITZOO
Andre, you really need to learn how to use social media. I never said I had any for sale. I simply commented on your post because it didn't make sense to me.
If you take a look at the fb message history, you'll notice I bought a ronin from you about a year ago.

9/13, 3:49pm
Andre De Villiers
Some other guy said this , so I was just checking with you?

9/13, 3:50pm
OOITZOO
Right..."some other guy"

Andre De Villiers
Yes , see my timeline post

OOITZOO
Who might that be?

Andre De Villiers
John Byer

9/13, 3:51pm
OOITZOO
Again, he's responding to my question and directing it to me.
He is not saying "you're selling these"

9/13, 3:52pm
Andre De Villiers
So you do not have any?

9/13, 3:53pm
OOITZOO
? ?

9/13, 3:53pm
Andre De Villiers
Do you have any for sale?
?

9/13, 3:56pm
OOITZOO
I've already answered u (twice). I would suggest you review the posts and move on b

9/13, 3:56pm
Andre De Villiers
Why you so defensive? Just asking a simple question?

9/13, 3:58pm
OOITZOO
I am not getting defensive. I've seen how you conduct yourself in social media and want no part in the nonsense.
You're not helping an already imperfect reputation with posts or harassment.

9/13, 4:00pm
Andre De Villiers
MMmm I see
So you can;t answer my question ?
or won't?

9/13, 4:01pm
OOITZOO
I've already answered it. I have no butchers (tac or otherwise) for sale

9/13, 4:02pm
Andre De Villiers
Ok , thanks ooitzoo.
So your name is now splashed all over the internet , as that guy John said you did have a bunch for sale. I suggest you get that cleared up with him.

9/13, 4:09pm
OOITZOO
No, you're misinterpreting his post. It's just you.
Do me a favor, don't bother responding. I've had enough of your nonsense.

9/13, 4:09pm
Andre De Villiers
Read my timeline post. Its not me saying this.

9/13, 4:19pm
OOITZOO
why in the fuck would you post my location?
wtf is your problem?

9/13, 4:20pm
Andre De Villiers
Seems you are the problem.
Why you don;t want people to know where you are? Whats the problem with that?

9/13, 4:22pm
OOITZOO
Why in the world would I want them to
?
you're right, I'm the problem...purchasing a knife from you, supporting your business, and respectfully asking a question...thats a REAL problem

9/13, 4:23pm
Andre De Villiers
Because if you sell fakes, there are a whole bunch of people that will be looking for you. If you are not, --- then there is no problem.
Well I am sorry if this is all a misunderstanding. I do hope it get sorted out.

9/13, 4:26pm
OOITZOO
I suggest you sort it out and fix your posts.

9/13, 4:28pm
Andre De Villiers
I did state exactly what you said. You said you had none, and thats what I said,. So I am not accusing you.

9/13, 4:31pm
OOITZOO
No, you've continued to make disparaging posts along with my location. A location you only have because I conducted business with you over a year ago. THAT is a violation of privacy and haressment.

9/13, 4:33pm
Andre De Villiers
No its states your location on your FB page does it not?

9/13, 4:34pm
OOITZOO
No, it doesn't

9/13, 4:34pm
Andre De Villiers
I say again I did not accuse you. Just asking for information

9/13, 4:35pm
OOITZOO
Yes, you did and you've continued to make the accusation public. This is all based on my asking a very simply question. Again, I suggest you edit your posts to remove my name / location.

Andre De Villiers

Andre De Villiers
Thats you right?
Says New York

9/13, 4:37pm
OOITZOO
That's not a public profile. I friended you after making my purchase from you a year ago. You only have the information because of the purchase. Therefore you are posting it around as a breach of a privileged position.

9/13, 4:38pm
Andre De Villiers
Any ways, I do appologies for this entire mess. Seems I did misinterpret the message.
I got really upset when I heard there are fake knives being made.
For this I am sorry..

9/13, 4:40pm
OOITZOO
Please edit your posts

9/13, 4:40pm
Andre De Villiers
I have removed all your names.

Last edited:
He's probably butthurt because a lot of his knives are never used and change hands like a hot potatoe.

Can't argue. I cannot say they are BAD knives but I can say that he screws up just enough where folks want to move on to something else. Its usually, btw, a screw up on the order itself and NOT the workmanship. For example, when I bought my Ronin, he sent me one with holes in it when I requested one without. To be fair, I told him "not a big deal" but it ultimately bothered me enough where I wanted something else for the money.

Normally i try to Remain optimistic in regards to misunderstandinfpgs with makers. But imho ADV has just been the topic of these kinds of threads way too much to ignore the obvious. I would recommend adv get a handler for all social media if he wants to be successful.

That EXACTLY what I told him in the first lines of our interaction. Its like the guy has no idea how to use social media but insists on continuing to do it anyway.

Just adding that I too will never purchase a knife from him either.

I hate ego driven makers that use blind accusations to belittle a customer.

Bingo! There is a reason why the better makers continue to be humble people and provide excellent customer care. The ones that don't simply don't last.

Thanks for sharing the info. This will factor into the equation if I ever decide to consider an ADV knife. What I take away from this is that good knife makers don't always make good businessmen.

If you are planning on buying one, I would strongly suggest buying it from BladeHQ / BladeOps / etc. At least you know they will make right any flaws.

That's, of course, assuming Andre doesn't accuse them of selling chinese fakes.

this is a HUGE REASON I DO NOT BUY HIS knives.......:thumbdn:His attitude and his demeanor speak in volumes.........:thumbdn:

If there are fakes, everyone should buy them instead and tell him about them just to piss him off. What a j@ck@ss.

this is a HUGE REASON I DO NOT BUY HIS knives.......:thumbdn:His attitude and his demeanor speak in volumes.........:thumbdn:

Interestingly; many on Instagram feel the exact opposite about his demeanor... Not sure if everyone on there following him are aware of it or not LOL. Same goes for Will Moon's followers.

I don't have experience dealing with either guy so I can't slang any mud. And mud slanging is fun. ;):rolleyes::D

instagram is a picture site, people there would seem to only care about the looks of the knife rather than the background.

touche' KingMC...TOUCHE'.........

instagram is a picture site, people there would seem to only care about the looks of the knife rather than the background.

You're absolutely right.

Many seem quick to defend folks like ADV & WM on Insta as well which is kind of interesting given how much negative feedback both have.

This is another guy on not a fan of. Not a fan of how he conducts himself, his overpriced (imo) midtechs, or how he conducts his business. His new hire for US operations leaves me less than impressed.

Luckily there are more places that I can spend my money then money to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back