• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Yet one more "Andre De Villiers doesn't know how to conduct himself" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the clearly expressed information shown in this thread. I know there are 2 sides to every story, so being able to read the conversation myself and make up my own mind is helpful. Saves me the aggravation of having a similar experience.

I appreciate the clearly expressed information shown in this thread. I know there are 2 sides to every story, so being able to read the conversation myself and make up my own mind is helpful. Saves me the aggravation of having a similar experience.

When in doubt; walk away... ;):thumbup::D

It's too bad that this guy has to conduct business in this manner - he makes some great looking designs, but it sounds like getting involved with him is just WAY more heartache than any knife is worth. Life is too short for this kind of nonsense...

Im sorry if this is against rules by posting in an old thread. I just had to give a big THANK YOU to everyone who has given their personal experiences with Andre and his customer service. I was literally about to buy one of his knives. Decided to research him for feedback and negative issues and found all these threads. I will not be spending close to $500 on a guy who treats people like this. no matter how awesome I feel his knives look. I love a community who looks out for one another. Thank you.

Im sorry if this is against rules by posting in an old thread. I just had to give a big THANK YOU to everyone who has given their personal experiences with Andre and his customer service. I was literally about to buy one of his knives. Decided to research him for feedback and negative issues and found all these threads. I will not be spending close to $500 on a guy who treats people like this. no matter how awesome I feel his knives look. I love a community who looks out for one another. Thank you.

That's what it's here for. Glad you took the time to do the research before you made a purchase. It's been said time and time again that a little research can save you loads of trouble. The information is out there, some just choose not to take the time to hunt it down. This is a great community of people with a wealth of information of all types. I'm also glad to be part of it.

What's interesting is that Andre (or his rep) have not opined on this thread. This can't be an accident.

What sucks is I confuse the Andre's and associate another maker for this guy. It's my bad but I hope others are clearer on the distinction. I won't touch an Andre De Villiers knife on the secondary market or anywhere.

I had only one interaction with Andre, I was interested in a custom he had shown for sale. When he told me the price, I was pretty shocked and I guess that came across to him (having bought many high-end full customs, I thought what he was asking was pretty out of line with the market). I found him to be arrogant and pretty rude, crossed him off my list of custom makers to work with and never looked back. YMMV.

What sucks is I confuse the Andre's and associate another maker for this guy. It's my bad but I hope others are clearer on the distinction. I won't touch an Andre De Villiers knife on the secondary market or anywhere.

Would that be Andre Thorburn by chance?... I've made the same mistake before LOL, :foot:

I had only one interaction with Andre, I was interested in a custom he had shown for sale. When he told me the price, I was pretty shocked and I guess that came across to him (having bought many high-end full customs, I thought what he was asking was pretty out of line with the market). I found him to be arrogant and pretty rude, crossed him off my list of custom makers to work with and never looked back. YMMV.

Would that be Andre Thorburn by chance?... I've made the same mistake before LOL, :foot:

Hmm...I've not interacted with Andre Thorburn and by no means wish to negatively impact him.

Is there a good way to make that point clear?

Hmm...I've not interacted with Andre Thorburn and by no means wish to negatively impact him.

Just to confirm.......Andre Thorburn is a first rate bloke and a brilliant knifemaker. He is an ex-chairman of the Knifemakers Guild of South Africa and you could not deal with a better guy.

There are other first rate excellent makers in South Africa with the first name of Andre. Folks should be certain that they are not tarring these excellent makers with someone else's bad rep. Also you would hate for people to think that they are doing business with one of our "good" Andre's only to discover that they have actually transacted with someone else.

It can be confusing, please be aware of the differences.

Last edited:
Just to confirm.......Andre Thorburn is a first rate bloke and a brilliant knifemaker. He is an ex-chairman of the Knifemakers Guild of South Africa and you could not deal with a better guy.

There are other first rate excellent makers in South Africa with the first name of Andre. Folks should be certain that they are not tarring these excellent makers with someone else's bad rep. Also you would hate for people to think that they are doing business with one of our "good" Andre's only to discover that they have actually transacted with someone else.

It can be confusing, please be aware of the differences.

Style/quality of knives produced is the easiest way to tell and it's a BIG difference.

Thorburn:

orig.jpg

De Villiers:

ADVMEGABUTBWnn.jpg

Last edited:

Not sure why my post was quoted here, but to be clear, I am referring to ADV, not to Mr. Thorburn.

I think it was quoted accidentally. My mobile browser tends to cache the quote feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back