• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Yet one more "Andre De Villiers doesn't know how to conduct himself" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not see this thread earlier, so I got one of his knife at the SHOT show last week. I really like his work and I was going to get a couple more from him in the future. After I read through pages of members feedback, now I have to seriously reconsider.

He is active on his FB group and has lot of offerings - some folders doesn't look bad ...

That's not surprising. It seems like a ton of makers with less then ideal reputations are still active on FB / IG.

This guy had actual distribution with a number of well known shops carrying his knives. Now it seems like the guy is a distant memory.

Well blade HQ is still carrying his stuff... as do some others, but I never see many of his knives.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Another story of how he handles customers on the FB group Knife Trading Sales and Feedback™ after booting someone from his forum saying that a knife he made wasn't made by him. The owner doesn't even seem to be the person who posted the original pics of the knife in question but ADV blocked him anyway. Same ol same ol..

Another story of how he handles customers on the FB group Knife Trading Sales and Feedback[emoji769] after booting someone from his forum saying that a knife he made wasn't made by him. The owner doesn't even seem to be the person who posted the original pics of the knife in question but ADV blocked him anyway. Same ol same ol..

Yeah that's a pretty horrible thread. You try to warn people on Facebook and it's like they refuse to see the truth. Hate that he acts like that, but glad his shenanigans are getting a wider audience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate the fact that I find myself staring at pictures of pocket butchers. I keep trying to rationalize my desire for one by thinking "separate the man from the art". What is it about certain types of creative minds that have trouble with the most rudimentary aspects of daily life?

Seems our buddy has had another meltdown in one of the larger Facebook knife sales groups - denies service to someone's knife because he claims it's a fake and that's why their are issues with it, when it clearly is a genuine article and he doesn't want to admit his knives aren't very good.

I hate the fact that I find myself staring at pictures of pocket butchers. I keep trying to rationalize my desire for one by thinking "separate the man from the art". What is it about certain types of creative minds that have trouble with the most rudimentary aspects of daily life?

I was in the same boat, I wish someone else made them hahaha.

I think some people go into knife making with good intentions and a creative mine, but get overwhelmed when problems arise, and they don't know how to handle it correctly. It takes a lot to make something and be the only one accountable for it, especially when your making stuff in larger number as he is. This is in now way a point for him, I think that if you can't handle the business part of knife making, then you shouldn't be in the business of knife making and interacting with customers, period.

Glad I read This

At this point most knife nuts with time in the game have heard of this dude’s escapades.

Personally I always thought his knives were ugly. Seemed like a Graham Razel without the extra flat edge at the front.

At this point most knife nuts with time in the game have heard of this dude’s escapades.

Personally I always thought his knives were ugly. Seemed like a Graham Razel without the extra flat edge at the front.

You mean behaving like a petulant 13 year old child when anyone has even the mildest question or concern? Or he refusing to provide anything approximating reasonable service?

I am actually surprised how many talented makers in all types fields seem to lack the most basic skills when it comes to human interaction.

"I am a sensitive artist
Nobody understands me because I am so deep
In my work I make allusions to books that nobody else has read
Music that nobody else has heard
And art that nobody else has seen
I can't help it
Because I am so much more intelligent
And well-rounded
Than everyone who surrounds me

I stopped watching TV when I was six months old
Because it was so boring and stupid
And started reading books
And going to recitals
And art galleries

I don't go to recitals anymore
Because my hearing is too sensitive
And I don't go to art galleries anymore
Because there are people there
And I can't deal with people
Because they don't understand me

I stay home
Reading books that are beneath me
And working on my work
Which no one understands

I am sensitive
I am sensitive
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive, sensitive artist
I am sensitive
I am sensitive
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am sensitive
I am sensitive
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist..."

King Missile

Apply to knifemakers and others as necessary...

"I am a sensitive artist
Nobody understands me because I am so deep
In my work I make allusions to books that nobody else has read
Music that nobody else has heard
And art that nobody else has seen
I can't help it
Because I am so much more intelligent
And well-rounded
Than everyone who surrounds me

I stopped watching TV when I was six months old
Because it was so boring and stupid
And started reading books
And going to recitals
And art galleries

I don't go to recitals anymore
Because my hearing is too sensitive
And I don't go to art galleries anymore
Because there are people there
And I can't deal with people
Because they don't understand me

I stay home
Reading books that are beneath me
And working on my work
Which no one understands

I am sensitive
I am sensitive
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive, sensitive artist
I am sensitive
I am sensitive
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am sensitive
I am sensitive
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist
I am a sensitive artist..."

King Missile

Apply to knifemakers and others as necessary...

I am well aware of the behaviour as it seems to run genetically in my family. (I am told that it skipped me, hope that’s true) It doesn’t apply to only artists. Often these people are very talented at what they do. Ask about the disposition of neurosurgeons it seems that many of them have that sort of big weak ego god complex.

It seems that those who suffer from this personality type have an inability to see past the tip of their nose. Their perception of the world seems entirely based on how things affect them. It is also marked by a refusal to apologize or ever admit wrongdoing. (To this day I am not sure if they truly believe they are blameless, or know they are at fault and just don’t have the strength to admit it.)

It seems that when they do admit fault it is always with the caveat that YOUR behaviour made them act that way.

I am well aware of the behaviour as it seems to run genetically in my family. (I am told that it skipped me, hope that’s true) It doesn’t apply to only artists. Often these people are very talented at what they do. Ask about the disposition of neurosurgeons it seems that many of them have that sort of big weak ego god complex.

It seems that those who suffer from this personality type have an inability to see past the tip of their nose. Their perception of the world seems entirely based on how things affect them. It is also marked bu a refusal to apologize or ever admit wrongdoing. (To this day I am not sure if they truly believe they are blameless, or know they are at fault and just don’t have the strength to admit it.)

It seems that when they do admit fault it is always with the caveat that YOUR behaviour made them act that way.

Sociopathy is a bitch...

A couple of years ago, I bought an AdV Tac Butcher. A most excellent knife. Still...Knowing all the negativity surrounding Andre and his lack of charm, I would never buy directly from him, or from any maker who acts so unpleasantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back