Yojumbo

I listened to a podcast the other day on the Knife Junkies YouTube channel with Michael Janich as the guest. He mentioned that the Yojumbo was in the works, but didn't mention when. Does anyone have an approximate idea of a release date?

Under the new release system, when Spyderco officially reveals a new knife it will be released within 3 months. So, no official reveal announced yet.

Personally, I think the Yo2 is the perfect size now as a folder and, while I do like larger knives, I have no interest in buying a larger Yojimbo.

If I needed something larger w/the same blade shape, I'd just carry my Ronin.

This is one knife that I’m extremely excited about. I’ve wanted a larger Yojimbo for a long time. Can’t wait for the Yojumbo :thumbsup:

This is one knife that I’m extremely excited about. I’ve wanted a larger Yojimbo for a long time. Can’t wait for the Yojumbo :thumbsup:
I just came from Spyderco and asked about it. The woman I talked to said it's coming soon and it's Awesome!! ⚔

I have been looking at this knife closer and have a couple thoughts.

The wharncliffe blade seems better for household chores and food prep than self defense, but I am not a knife fighter so maybe I don’t understand, but I think of a dagger or clip blade (like a Bowie) for a self defense knife.

I wonder if the handle should have been carbon fiber to reduce weight? Maybe it would have poor balance with a light handle.

And aesthetically, it seems like the plunge line should have the same arc or angle as the front of the handle when the blade is open. Not necessarily in line with the handle, just the same angle/shape?

Last edited:
The wharncliffe blade seems better for household chores and food prep than self defense, but I am not a knife fighter so maybe I don’t understand, but I think of a dagger or clip blade (like a Bowie) for a self defense knife.

I'm not either, but I've read/watched stuff about the Yojimbo and its design. The Wharncliffe blade shape applies the full pressure of your cut at the tip, and combined with the Yo2's default grip (thumb on the spine) it also lets you keep your wrist neutral rather than bent while still presenting the tip in a very natural, automatic "punching" thrust. The second you hold one you'll see why it's shaped the way it is. :)

I'm excited for the Yojumbo!

I never handled a Yojimbo. Is it comfortable in hand? All the angular bumps do not seem to indicate so.

If you are going to a knife fight take a big Bowie with a sharpened clip point. The deadliest personal carry knife as proven by history.

If you live in the modern world and carry a small to medium sized knife, make it a Wharncliffe like the Yojimbo. Three respected real world knife combat people took separate paths and ended up with the Wharncliffe as the best fighting blade for regular carry. Bob Kasper (may he rest in peace) who developed the Perseco and Dragon both made by Crawford Knives. Kelly McCann with his Canis fixed blade now finally a folder from Spyderco. Michael Janich with his Yojimbo and Ronin, and other Wharnclife's. Makers who are convinced of the Wharncliffe superiority are Dirk Pinkerton and Mike Snody.

Google Janich and you'll find articles and YouTube video about why the Wharncliffe slices deeper than other every day carry designs.

Back