You Can Own Only One - Which Benchmade?

I've owned and carried BM for a few yrs...several models...owned maybe at least 15 folders.
Was never happy with their 154 cm and finally gave up. I'd imagine their better steels are okay
on the models with confirmed HT numbers. I'd trust Peters; not Benchmades.

Last edited:
I've owned and carried BM for a few yrs...several models...owned maybe at least 15 folders.
Was never happy with their 154 cm and finally gave up. I'd imagine their better steels are okay
on the models with confirmed HT numbers.

I agree, I was never super impressed by their 154CM (or their M390 for that matter), I could never quite sharpen it right. I really like their S30V and D2, I think they do those steels better than almost anyone else out there. I don't have any experience with their other steels.

can’t narrow it down to one but i’ll give you two. 810 contego & 9555 auto rift. i really like bms osdorne designs. the 810 in m4 is just a beast, can handle anything. and the 9555 is the perfect edc size, at least for me. and the auto axis is sooo much fun. has about the best blade to handle ratio of any folder you’ll find, too.

I'm another Old School BMK guy. Most of my favorite models are disco'd--AFCK, 710 (and little brother 705), Stryker--and it's hard to choose amongst those. Of the newer and current knives--aside from all my Grips with aftermarket scales--only my full-size Crooked River and 551-1702 really float my boat.

The only BMK steel that I didn't like was the S90V in my former 940-1. I'm fine with Benchmade's 440C, ATS34, 154CM, M390, S30V, and M4. I've also owned well over 30 and currently have 25 BMKs and have never had a problem with an AXIS lock spring. (If I've jinxed myself here, it's on you @ScooterG :p.)

I love my two stock, D2 710's and can't imagine not owning one, but if it's down to a single Benchmade then it would be the 710-1401 in M390, but I'm keepin' my custom Keyman scales. :)

I'm no help at all, am I?

7YgNnFE.jpg

RWGAGlR.jpg

zMhqQCt.jpg

Like the 585 Mini Barrage a lot but for every day use the Grips (large or mini) are hard to beat.

My desires are for a mini Crooked River, but my budget says otherwise. Right now my only Benchmade is an Impel auto that was a gift from a friend.

Sold all mine when I discovered their political beliefs so my answer is nothing in their lineup interests me.

I've only got one Benchmade and it's a 550 Griptillian. Never carry it anymore but it did see close to 3 years of constant pocket time. Great work knife

Your basic premise is flawed, just one? Ouch. Wife and I each have a couple and more soon. Right now we have 2 mini Grips with DOAT scales, a full size grip (DOAT scales on the way), a Proper wearing custom ironwood and 940-2. Want a mini CR and a Bugout.
Probably would be the Mini Grip if I could only have one but I'd be sad.

With the exception of two comments this is a great useful thread. There were a couple of knives I wasn't aware of that now I will pursue, any thread that gets in your wallet is a good one.

5E3D02EF-AC38-4B45-9E51-7E861233DF36.jpeg

Bugout - No question. I would have said the Mini-Ritter before, but then I experienced a Bugout!

(Only with custom scales though)

Last edited:
Back