1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

You Can Own Only One - Which Benchmade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Unadan, May 28, 2019.

1. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    EDBC1718-BFA2-47A9-BE14-D273597FEF8C.jpeg 09F295CD-B8F2-4F75-AC93-8DDCC76AC46B.jpeg
    Thanks. I might have said the 943, but the best steel available in this model is S-30-V.

2. tony281sc2

tony281sc2

Feb 13, 2017
    Custom Full-size Grip, Black g-10 handle, black M4 blade and a black deep carry clip...mmmmm mmmm....thinkin about it, but a few ZTs are calling my name too.

3. Knicked Digits

Knicked Digits

Dec 24, 2016
    Go with the s30v full sized griptillian if you can only have one. The design has aged well, Benchmade’s s30v is tried and true, and the price point won’t break the bank. I have a mini in 154cm, also a great choice, but I’d love a full in s30v.

4. POCEH KOCEB

POCEH KOCEB Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

fonedork likes this.
  5. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    Ooh, that looks very cool! Bet it feels great in hand and cuts like crazy.

6. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Right now I own two full-size Grips. One in D2 and another in 154cm. I wanted a small Grip but, I found a used full size for twenty bucks and never looked back.

I have to agree with you, a full size grip in S30v would be a great combo. What scales would you use?

7. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    DOAT scales, he has a slim version I haven't tried yet...
    customs.jpg fancyEDC.jpg h3.jpg

8. Hateman

Hateman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2000
    Benchmade mini Griptilian; maybe partially serrated. I carried a mini in 440C for about a year and reluctantly forced it out of pocket simply to carry other blades.

It sharpened easily,
    carried well even in slacks,
    cleaned well,
    never had an issue with the axis lock,
    proved to defeat most EDC tasks
    and did not break even with multiple accidental drops on concrete and hot environs (think a car in the sun in summer)

The serrations, not favored by me, even proved very useful when cutting through things like carpet or rough branches.

Plenty of blade/ handle options today depending on your wants and amount willing to spend. Hope this helps.

9. Knicked Digits

Knicked Digits

Dec 24, 2016
    I would just go standard factory plastic scales in black. It’s simple and I wouldn’t feel bad if I wanted custom scales done.

10. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    this would be my 'only one' from my Benchmade collection...

710.jpg

11. HOKIE_FAN

HOKIE_FAN

Aug 7, 2010
    AFO 2 auto.[​IMG]

12. teddyashe

teddyashe Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Benchmade Ares m390

13. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    I really like my 940-2, but I am going to have to try a Bugout.

14. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016

15. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    The springs on my 940-2 (actually a 943-2 now) broke a couple weeks ago and I made a replacement set. They look a bit crude but work every bit as good as the original's did. Since I am not in the States, sending back to BM is unfortunately not without risks so I have to do my own warranty work.

As far as which BM I would keep, it's usually the last one purchased, which in this case is a NOS 908 sbk Stryker, but give me a few weeks and it will go back to a 940. It always does...

16. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    The Grip was my introduction into the world of modern folders a long time ago. Since then I've picked up a couple 950 Rifts, a 810 Contego, a Mini Grip & a newer model Grip. If I could have only one knife, (not just one BM), I could get by just fine with my old plain Jane Grip with 154 steel & cheap looking "plastic" scales.....or an upgraded version:
    [​IMG]

17. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Agree with the Griptilian. Would get the blade upgrade with s30v or 20cv. Great design/ergos for a user idc.

18. Swoop03

Swoop03

Dec 1, 2012
    Id have trouble choosing just one. I regularly carry a Mini Ritter Griptilian, 707 Sequel (if you can find one of those two still), my new 535 Bugout is kind of pushing everything else aside. I have eyes on a Mini crooked river, North fork, arcane, quite a few more, and I still havent bought a 940 for whatever reason. If youre just EDCing it and don't need a super heavy duty blade, just pick one you think looks and feels good, then buy it. They're all good for EDC if you ask me. If you dont end up liking the one you pick. Ask yourself "what don't I like about it?" Then buy one with those factors changed until you got the one for you. Then keep buying them because knives.

19. Babyboomer

Babyboomer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I have about a dozen Benchmade knives. I most frequently carry a Mini Grip — these days it’s the 555-1 sheepsfoot version. I could live with just that one for a long time.

20. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I've heard of Benchmade shipping Omega springs overseas. You might give them a call.

I'm also a fan of the Stryker series. I'd like to see it come back.

colin.p likes this.