You Can Own Only One - Which Benchmade?

cSy8RL.jpg

Go with the s30v full sized griptillian if you can only have one. The design has aged well, Benchmade’s s30v is tried and true, and the price point won’t break the bank. I have a mini in 154cm, also a great choice, but I’d love a full in s30v.
Right now I own two full-size Grips. One in D2 and another in 154cm. I wanted a small Grip but, I found a used full size for twenty bucks and never looked back.

I have to agree with you, a full size grip in S30v would be a great combo. What scales would you use?

Benchmade mini Griptilian; maybe partially serrated. I carried a mini in 440C for about a year and reluctantly forced it out of pocket simply to carry other blades.

It sharpened easily,
carried well even in slacks,
cleaned well,
never had an issue with the axis lock,
proved to defeat most EDC tasks
and did not break even with multiple accidental drops on concrete and hot environs (think a car in the sun in summer)

The serrations, not favored by me, even proved very useful when cutting through things like carpet or rough branches.

Plenty of blade/ handle options today depending on your wants and amount willing to spend. Hope this helps.

Right now I own two full-size Grips. One in D2 and another in 154cm. I wanted a small Grip but, I found a used full size for twenty bucks and never looked back.

I have to agree with you, a full size grip in S30v would be a great combo. What scales would you use?

I would just go standard factory plastic scales in black. It’s simple and I wouldn’t feel bad if I wanted custom scales done.

And I have never had one break. I would love to find out why some people have so many problems with Omega springs and other people never have any problems.

Now watch me have nothing but problems from this point forward.
The springs on my 940-2 (actually a 943-2 now) broke a couple weeks ago and I made a replacement set. They look a bit crude but work every bit as good as the original's did. Since I am not in the States, sending back to BM is unfortunately not without risks so I have to do my own warranty work.

As far as which BM I would keep, it's usually the last one purchased, which in this case is a NOS 908 sbk Stryker, but give me a few weeks and it will go back to a 940. It always does...

The Grip was my introduction into the world of modern folders a long time ago. Since then I've picked up a couple 950 Rifts, a 810 Contego, a Mini Grip & a newer model Grip. If I could have only one knife, (not just one BM), I could get by just fine with my old plain Jane Grip with 154 steel & cheap looking "plastic" scales.....or an upgraded version:
DSC00009-X2.jpg

Go with the s30v full sized griptillian if you can only have one. The design has aged well, Benchmade’s s30v is tried and true, and the price point won’t break the bank. I have a mini in 154cm, also a great choice, but I’d love a full in s30v.
Agree with the Griptilian. Would get the blade upgrade with s30v or 20cv. Great design/ergos for a user idc.

Id have trouble choosing just one. I regularly carry a Mini Ritter Griptilian, 707 Sequel (if you can find one of those two still), my new 535 Bugout is kind of pushing everything else aside. I have eyes on a Mini crooked river, North fork, arcane, quite a few more, and I still havent bought a 940 for whatever reason. If youre just EDCing it and don't need a super heavy duty blade, just pick one you think looks and feels good, then buy it. They're all good for EDC if you ask me. If you dont end up liking the one you pick. Ask yourself "what don't I like about it?" Then buy one with those factors changed until you got the one for you. Then keep buying them because knives.

I have about a dozen Benchmade knives. I most frequently carry a Mini Grip — these days it’s the 555-1 sheepsfoot version. I could live with just that one for a long time.

The springs on my 940-2 (actually a 943-2 now) broke a couple weeks ago and I made a replacement set. They look a bit crude but work every bit as good as the original's did. Since I am not in the States, sending back to BM is unfortunately not without risks so I have to do my own warranty work.

As far as which BM I would keep, it's usually the last one purchased, which in this case is a NOS 908 sbk Stryker, but give me a few weeks and it will go back to a 940. It always does...
I've heard of Benchmade shipping Omega springs overseas. You might give them a call.

I'm also a fan of the Stryker series. I'd like to see it come back.

Back