You guys do know that Schrade got bought right?

Actually, it doesn't say enough....

Taylor's facilities are already undergoing an expansion... adding 100 square feet, and planning to purchase an additional 15 acres. 20 to 30 new jobs will be on their way over the next 6 months.

Let's see...a 10'x10' room, 5 reps, 5 secs, 10 or more stockmen (ok, all that's a guess, but an educated one). Later, 15 acres for some bigger offices and a bigger WAREHOUSE.

What's missing? Skilled craftsmen? Machinists? Not to mention machines that need parts. Where are these people and things? China.

See the Shanghied thread for more info.

I don't fault the employees of Taylor and I am glad they have jobs, but a Taylor Knife will never be an Uncle Henry or Old Timer no matter what is stamped on it.

I sure hope they do not use this buyout to produce the quality of cutlery they import here? :(

Who knows?

"For Taylor and his employees this is a step toward making the Tri-Cities known around the world as a hub for quality knife manufacturing."

All I can say about that statement is ??????????????????????????????

manufacturing????????

Did he buy all of their production equipment, too?

I think "HUB" says a lot. It denotes a distribution point, not a beginning (manufacturing) or end (sales) point. My bathroom is about 10x10. Could be a new home for the IP?

I must be a mushroom. when I try to open the link I get a black screen. Perhapes I am a bit behind the times by the way can anyone tell me where the pony express office is I want to mail a letter. LT

LT, it just takes a minute to load. It's a website for a local paper and gives those "expansion" details and a few quotes from Taylor (bowing from the waist and saying "Hai!") Just kidding.

It does say that he did the buyout of Schrade with the help of FIVE LOCAL banks though, which I found interesting. I'm guessing that the 100sq. ft. is a typo.

Codger

Don't forget that we've got hundreds of very talented and experienced Schrade people who are now out of work. What better resource to tap than that. With jobs, pay scales and taxes the way they are (or aren't) around here, I would expect that if made the offer, many would jump on this bandwagon. I know of a couple who already have. Not much stopping them. It's really a mixed bag of emotions. On one hand, I'm am happy and excited that Schrade will continue(???), and hopefully as we all once knew it (not foreign product), but on the other hand, it's just so sad to know that all of the people who have spent the past up to 50 years building it to what it is are all going to be left behind. I really hope they can make this work, and I wish any locals who follow it the best. I just hope they can keep it first quality and American.

Thankyou, Larry, was good enough to send me the article, at least the outfit is in this country and I do not have access to there bank statment, so like I said who knows. It seems TENN is trying to put together something, Stidham just opened a store, Smokey bought the collection ( and a lot more ) and the NCKA is moving near Smokey. If so and they can preserve this history more power to them. Those southern fellers are some of the smartest knife people in the world. If they have any problems it is that they are a bit to brutal in there buying and selling at least for me I am not that tough or shrewed the other thing, is that ten minutes after they find out you are from up north they seem to want to fight the civil war again. Seriously I hope it works out. I would also hope that the 100 square feet was a misprint otherwise it would seem they are planning a new bathroom and a lot of acreage. Still if you hire those extra people you would need the extra bathroom so I guess we will have to wait and see, As far as the 5 local banks again I guess I am just cynical but it just seems strange that it takes 5 banks to raise 3.6 mil and that 5 banks agreed to do it. Seems a bit to down home, lets all work together for me, still that what the article says and I have no reason to doubt it. I wonder if you took and looked close at those down home banks who you would find is actually the main share holder. There I go again being a bad sport and having the audacity to ask questions that are none of my business. I guess the time to worry will be when outside interest stop trying to take over every thing when that happens it will mean they have it all. LT

Back