You guys down for a WIP Pants for the Farm Knife?

Hey Fellas,
Wanted to throw this out to see if you would like a work in progress thread on a sheath for the 13” Farm Knife I picked up on the Black Friday thread?? I have owned the original farm knife and now this one, I really really like this smaller one, at 19oz it is perfect for chores with or even use as a kitchen knife, or just a hard user.
I have some ideas and have already worked up a template for it so I’m ready to cut some leather. I was thinking of using a piece of ostrich leg as an overlay on the front. I am waiting for it to arrive, I think it will look pretty nice, plus I never worked with ostrich so it will be fun. Let me know what ya think.

Count me in, I love work in progress long as it don't involve me working. Can't wait.

Ok fellas here we go, I got the piece of Ostrich leg today, I must say its very nice and im excited about using it. It is kinda stonewashed black or faded black, but not sure if im going to dye it darker black, I will let you guys decide to leave it or dye it darker, either way I think will look cool.

1. First pic is just the knife and scabbard
XwPGAAL.jpg

2. This is just the blade and the bottom template together, it gives you an idea how it sits in there and the space you need to draw it without binding.
wjEVbnh.jpg

3. Pic is the template and blade, you will see writing and such on the template, you see the knife outline and the welt thickness, and where the retention strap will go. Also the length of the belt loop.
KrewIjU.jpg

4. Next is the Template and the Leather cut out if you look at the welt you see I over cut my lines, this gives me plenty of leather to work with when I shape on the sander. There is the extra piece from cutting the welt, I will use this to add to the welt to make it thicker as the blade is pretty stout. Also if there is enough I can make the retention strap as well. So there is not to much waste, and I can use it on another project if needed. You will notice that the lines are red. I use a super fine red marker to outline the template, the reason for the red is that if any is left on the leather when I dye it it will disappear if im using a brown dye, if I use black it will show through.
Wwuv8AY.jpg

5. Next is the Piece of Ostrich that came today. this is the bottom of the leg to the foot. I really like how it looks, lots of character to it.
0SpCOuH.jpg

6. Lastly tonight is just a pic of all the parts and pieces ill need to get going.
XZ6VfR2.jpg

More to come, the work is just getting started. Just remember this is how I do it, doesn't mean its the right way, I am self taught and it works for me. If you are a leather worker and do it another way that's cool. There's a method to my madness!! Hope ya like it so far.

Looking great so far, love that Ostrich, ton of character in that.

Thank you fellas, got a tad more done today. Here are a few pics.
First is my makers mark, have to do this before any gluing up happens so this is my makers stamp and decorative stamp that goes around it and of course my favorite maul (hammer).
FT3Q4T1.jpg
UCftlfU.jpg

Getting ready to glue up the welt marking the inside and setting the welt.
ZK23BZo.jpg
WK1nQme.jpg

Welt set and due to the thickness of the blade it needs a second piece on the spine side to fit properly, I bring it to the lowest point of the blade and then on my belt sander I angle it down to zero at the bottom for a smooth transition. first pic is the second welt, the next is the transition sanded down and ready.
NN5UxUy.jpg
P1XiSgP.jpg

The last ones today, I always temp assemble the sheath so I can shape it, so I partially glue the front piece on and then rough shape the sheath, once that is done I pull it back apart and start the finishing process. You see the pic where the welt is sticking out, thats exactly what I want, this way I can shape it and make it all flush. The next one is after rough sanding its shaped up the way I want it.
R6UeQX4.jpg
hz4CsXo.jpg

The last one shows the transition of the welt where I sanded before the rough shaping, it looks a tad wide but once it gets sewed up it will pull together and look tighter.
jsZ0i8u.jpg

This is it for today. I did cut the Ostrich leather today for the front and will glue it up tomorrow, still lots more to do, hope you guys like it so far.

Im always down for a wip.

I have a HI khukri that has a cut through the sheath. I need to make a sheath for it.

I've been known to use a two piece welt to avoid the waste.

Last edited:
Awesome work Pugs! That ostrich skin is awesome. Ill have to keep my eyes open for an ostrich down here! Kind of has the alligator skute look. Love it so far. Thanks for posting brother!

Im always down for a wip.

I have a HI khukri that has a cur through sheath. I need to make a sheath for it.

I've been known to use a two piece welt to avoid the waste.

I like using the two piece welt as well, and it sure does save some leather also gives the sheath a place to drain if it gets wet.

Awesome work Pugs! That ostrich skin is awesome. Ill have to keep my eyes open for an ostrich down here! Kind of has the alligator skute look. Love it so far. Thanks for posting brother!
Thank you, the leather is definitely different and I might have enough left over for a smaller khuk Auntie sent me along with this one.

Did some yesterday just didn't have time to post, and some today. Getting closer to final glue up and sewing.
first few are the had to wet the leather at the belt loop and for the retention strap holes. You have to wet the leather to shape it, if you try to bend it dry, it could strech and look really bad or it could even crack, also by wetting it holds the shape when its dry.
This punch is called a bag punch its 3/4" and I use it just for the retention strap holes
QTFQHp1.jpg
RepoGox.jpg

Next is the retention strap and backside of the sheath, just have to wait for it to dry so I can keep going. The tool is an edger, I use this on all the edges, it rounds them off and give it that little extra touch when finished. Kinda hard to see but if you look closely you can see the edge rounded, it will look great when I finish the edges.
DYRCrZp.jpg
7GhOCQV.jpg

Glueing up the front of the sheath, The Ostrich is a tad oversized again for final fitting, I rough up the leather and glue both pieces put them together and then puy it under my slab of granite to set up, the granite makes a great press. And all glued up and ready to go.
8hpvo2B.jpg
pCURXyV.jpg

That was yesterdays work, today I dyed all the pieces and conditioned them. I use a leather dressing after I dye them, this helps keep the leather supple. Sometimes when you dye or wet leather it can get brittle cause all the moisture/oils are gone, this conditioner helps avoid that. So now its a waiting game to dry, I dont use an oven to dry I just let it air dry. Now you will see why I take the sheath back apart after I did the rough sanding. First I have to sew the belt loop up, and also I always dye the whole sheath inside and out. I hate when I see really nice work and then look in and see a half dyed sheath, just a pet peeve of mine. Some people say you waste dye and time doing that, but to me its the way to go.
Everything dyed and drying, the top just laid to see how its looking as a whole.
Te32C31.jpg
PKPHehn.jpg

Lastly this is the conditioner I use, I love this stuff and it works on any leather. Has a great smell to it as well!! I have been using this stuff since I started doing leather, it never gave me a reason to use anything else.
NDitOKG.jpg

PLEASE tell me that isn't your wife's countertop your working on........(dead man walking). That looks completely awesome and I'm not the least bit surprised you dye the inside as well. You don't seem like the cut corners kind of guy.

Now send me the knife in your avatar for evaluation and I'll talk to your missus and see if I can just get you off with a verbal reprimand so you don't have to sleep with a metal garbage can over your upper body to protect your throat and all.

Can’t wait to see the finished product! True craftsmanship! I’ve made a few fully carved leather guitar straps and bible covers. I found all my Tandy leather tools. Maybe I should try making some knife sheaths. I’m so close to retirement with no retirement hobbies other than the honey do list. Hmmm, sheaths for my knives!

PLEASE tell me that isn't your wife's countertop your working on........(dead man walking). That looks completely awesome and I'm not the least bit surprised you dye the inside as well. You don't seem like the cut corners kind of guy.

Now send me the knife in your avatar for evaluation and I'll talk to your missus and see if I can just get you off with a verbal reprimand so you don't have to sleep with a metal garbage can over your upper body to protect your throat and all.
Lol I’m dumb but not that dumb! That is a piece of granite I got for the work bench for stamping and such, nothing is done in the house except maybe when I cut a template or some leather but not on her counters and I use an old cutting board as well. Good try though on the knife, might of worked if I was guilty lol.

Can’t wait to see the finished product! True craftsmanship! I’ve made a few fully carved leather guitar straps and bible covers. I found all my Tandy leather tools. Maybe I should try making some knife sheaths. I’m so close to retirement with no retirement hobbies other than the honey do list. Hmmm, sheaths for my knives!
Thanks man, you definitely should try it, it’s pretty easy you just have to think it out before you cut, I have made quite a few mistakes when I started especially when I put the template on the leather to trace for cutting if your not thinking about what your doing you can trace the wrong side and cut it out only to see you cut it backwards. I will always help if needed.

Lol I’m dumb but not that dumb! That is a piece of granite I got for the work bench for stamping and such, nothing is done in the house except maybe when I cut a template or some leather but not on her counters and I use an old cutting board as well. Good try though on the knife, might of worked if I was guilty lol.

Dang it so close. That was a great idea I had, think it's the second one I've had all my born days. Perhaps a chink in the armor. Apparently submissive to black mail. Tuck that away in my bag a tricks but I think the bag has a hole in it.

Back