You have $100 and are asked to buy 2 Schrade USA's ... What would YOU choose?

Hi - First of all let me make a couple things clear:
- This isn't a 'wanted to buy' - Please, No PM's or eMails asking me to buy anything :thumbdn:
- It's been recommended many times in this forum that we don't link to current auctions or store webpages :thumbdn:

If the thread is out of bounds, please accept my apology and tag this mother with extreme prejudice. :eek:

Today, a good friend was visiting and going thru a good number of the Schrade Waldens and USAs that I have handy.
He especially liked the Uncle Henrys and the open stocks that have jigged delrin scales.
He also liked the wood scales on the LB1 - LB7 family and 3rd Generations.

He said "I never realized what a fine, quality knife Schade sold."
"If I gave you $100, would you choose 2 identical Schrades for me that I can gift to my sons for Christmas?"
He also asked that I limit my choices to a knife that's comfortably pocket carried.

So, I accepted the task and started to think about what he'd asked me.

- '2 identical' knives - reasonable leeway here
- comfortable to pocket carry
- some sort of stagged delrin/bone or smooth wood scales
- not interested in original boxes, tubes or paperwork
- no more than $50 each

To me, that says I need to focus on a model that's at least semi-regularly available and that I have good chance of finding 2 of in excellent condition over the next 4 months.

If you had $100 and those requests to follow, what would YOU recommend?

My friend and I do appreciate your knowledgeable opinions!!

-- Howie

Last edited:
I'd say the 825SS might be a good choice. The slim stockman is pretty common, attractive, and seems like it might fit in that price range. If you go with an LB series, the LB5 is a nice one.

Uncle Henry 885uh x two. If those are too large, the 834uh.

I am assuming the sons aren't concerned with 1095 carbon qualities and such. Uncle Henrys used the Schrade + stainless which is relatively easy to hone back up.

If lockbacks are preferable, the LB5 is not too big and not too small....just right for pocket carry.

Some of the scrimshaws are beautiful. Find out their outdoor passion (hunting, fishing, etc) , and give 'em a scrim :)

schradetrout.jpg

Last edited:
Every Schradeaholic has their favorite pocketknife I suppose. FOr me it is the slim 897UH Premium Stockman. It is hardly noticble in the pocket yet very servicible for many day-to-day tasks. I've carried one for many years and always keep a spare in case I misplace one. I gave one to my business partner because I kept seeing him trying to carry and work with "Smith & Wesson" and other gas station junk. Too big to carry comfortably and awkward to retrieve, use and replace in the pocket. He is also stuck on the 897UH now. And other than the smaller 34OT which was the biggest seller (and can be found in either stainless or carbon steel), the 897UH was so popular for so long (1967-2004) that the supply of new and like-new knives seems inexhaustable. I guess I have well more than a dozen, but most are just color or detail variants of the basic knife. I would be quite surprised if you can't get two and shipping for a c-note.
2uysh92.jpg

Michael

Guys - I value your opinions - Thanks!

So far, you've presented some excellent choices :thumbup:

1 - 825SS 3-9/16" 'Western' Slim Premium
1 - 885UH 4" 'King Ranch' or 'Senior Ranch'
1 - 897UH 3-9/16" Signature Premium Stockman
2 - LB5 3-3/4" Smokey lockback
1 - Scrimshaw

Anyone else care to help me spend my friend's $100?

-- Howie

I'm a fan of locking blades and the Bear Paw Family so I will second the LB5 suggestion and the Scrim idea is a good one too.

A pattern no one has specifically mentioned yet (Brian pictured it) is the 194OT or SC503 Gunstock Trapper linerlock. It's another pocket-sized yet beefy blade and came with a lot of different scrims over the years. Two of these SC503s with different scrims for each lucky son would be a nice choice imho

Last edited:
I'd say the 34OT. Every boy should have an Old Timer, and the 34OT was the most popular Old Timer of all time. Heck, it may be the single-most popular knife model of all time from any manufacturer.

They are easy to find in unused condition, and you can probably give your friend some of the $100 back.

Thanks for the additional suggestions!!

My friend's original preference was for something with jigged bone, jigged delrin or smooth wood scales.

Bob - I'll send him some pics of Old Timers to see if he'll consider the sawcut style scales - Would really open up the number of choices.
Uncle Henry 834 is the same pattern as the 34OT and makes a great carry. I carry one more often than any other.

Good suggestions on the Scrims - What animals remind him of his sons? Plenty to choose from - Cool

The Uncle Henry 197 fits the bill - the linerlock's a good call Dave!

197UH 3-5/8" 'Cat Paw' linerlock
825SS 3-9/16" 'Western' Slim Premium
834UH 3-5/16" 'Rancher'
885UH 4" 'King Ranch' or 'Senior Ranch'
897UH 3-9/16" Signature Premium Stockman
LB5 3-3/4" 'Smokey' lockback

Additional suggestions:
Scrimshaw
Old Timer 34OT 3-5/16" Middleman

THANKS everyone - Didn't take long to get a good base of models to shoot back to my friend.
I'll throw another Schrade in from my 'hoard' for the Dad too.
3 more Schrade USA owners out there.

-- Howie

Bob - I'll send him some pics of Old Timers to see if he'll consider the sawcut style scales - Would really open up the number of choices.
Uncle Henry 834 is the same pattern as the 34OT and makes a great carry. I carry one more often than any other.

I prefer the sawcut Delrin over the plasti-stag, and like the OT's carbon steel better than the UH stainless. Personal preference. :)

Maybe get one knife of each, so the boys have knives that are the 'same' but not identical?

In 1973 some-one told me about a knife made in the U.S.A. - A Schrade 881 that I payed $20 for in Australia, back then.
I never replaced that knife, today I have 100s of Schrade knives - However, my every-day-knife is still that old carbon bladed 881.
So I still have $80 to spend on a 34OT-SS, my second best knife - Made by Schrade back in the 1980's ... Ken

Rich, if I was in the real world, I would definitely give them a couple 897 Uncle Henrys. If I was fantasizing, I would discover a 2OT in original wood box for $65 BIN, keep that for myself, and give them anything they wanted otherwise out of my non-secret stash. LOL!

You guys got me to hankering again so I picked up an as-new Schrade Walden 897UH for less than $50 shipped. I hope you are happy with yourselves. :p

2r23te9.jpg

Michael and Cal --

I think you guys may have tipped the scales in favor of the 897UH.

The LB5 still has some legs in the race.
The brothers are from Maine and I've got a couple of nice LB5's with LL Bean etch.

-- Howie

It is hard to go wrong with either an 897 or an LB5.
If I had to choose one or the other, I think I would choose the 897.
Schrade’s ‘Staglon’ is the prettiest treatment ever done with Delrin, IMHO!

I think everyone loves the Schrade "Staglon," but there is another line, The Camillus "India Stag" version of Staglon, which is very similar. It has a fair amount of red in it and is very pretty.

You guys got me to hankering again so I picked up an as-new Schrade Walden 897UH for less than $50 shipped. I hope you are happy with yourselves. :p

2r23te9.jpg

This knife just arrived and it is an early one, serial #83103 with milled liners and a snap to die for. Blades are sharp as razor blades, factory edged. Dang but the temptation to use it is strong! Must.. put...in Schrade Walden display case with the other 897UHs. Must...

Alrighty then, in the spirit of the two-fer dealie, I picked up the second 897UH. This one is newer than the previous one, circa 1975-80.

29x6flk.jpg

Still under the budget set, two as-new knives, one NIB, the other from the first two years of production. And an Old Timer belt buckle for boot. Er... for belt. Stick a fork in me. I am done for a while. The doctor and pharmacies are speaking up for my next paychecks.

Michael - You done good for sure!! AND a sweet belt buckle :thumbup:

Question from one still trying to grasp the fine points of dating years ...
I can understand that you'd place the first one with the milled liners and serial# as an early Schrade USA.
How did you peg the 2nd one to a date range? The packaging? Or is there a clue on the knife also?

I was talking to the gent tonight that gave me the request.
He said he's seen the posts from you guys and was considerably moved by all your help and suggestions.
Thanks!

Looks like the LL Bean LB5-UH idea is out as a lot of folks in Down East Maine are not happy with some muckymuck at LL Bean.
Something about selling some land that is considered ecologically valuable. Bad! I can't find any stories about it.

The Cap'n will be riding out the remnants of hurricane Irene on his sailboat at his mooring in a reasonably sheltered inlet on the Maine coast.
He feels that in addition to an extra line on his mooring (a cement block the size of a VW BUG!) and an additional anchored line he'll be OK.
I really hope to get up there for a few days before the boat gets pulled for the winter and personally deliver 3 nice Schrades. The Schrades will get there whether I do or not.

-- Howie

Given the scarceness of major construction detail changes, the packaging (specificly the inserts/ads) are the best indicator of the production period. IF they are original to the knife. Look for the newest knife advertised on the insert. The knife (and insert) would not be made before the newest pattern was introduced. Look at the company name. "Imperial Schrade" would not be used before the company name changed and "Schrade Walden" would not be used after that name changed. Sometimes slogans and logos can be dated or the inserts have copyright dates. Also, Wally would not appear as company President before his appointment.

Good luck and well wishes to the Capn'.

Back