You know, back in 1931.......

Codger_64

Boys were supposed to have knives. I thought you might like to see a few ads from that time period depicting happy kids with pocket knives.

Codger

My how times have changed. I carried a Buck 110 openly through out high school. Now days if my daughter carried my little 104ot to school she would be in big trouble.

Even in my early years in the late 70's, I would carry a pocket knife to school. It was like putting on your watch every morning.

Thanks for the pics, Codg...

Glenn

Neat ads. Notice how people back then didn't need fancy locks, black blades, one-hand-opening, or other "tactical" features.

-Bob

Thats good stuff, if a company were smart, they would revive that type of add campaign today. Tomorrows collectors are todays kids.

Outside of school(I'm not in a position to go battle with the knee-jerk, nanny-state school boards), my kids will be encouraged to carry and collect knives, hunt and own guns, and hopefully think for themselves. I have liberal relatives who are teachers and administrators of the local school, and they just love it when Uncle B spends time with their kids:D

I went thru some of my Hunter-Trader-Trappers that date from 1913-1928,hoping to find some Ulster/Imperial/Schrade-Walden ads for Codger,but no luck.
The only knife ads I found were Remington,Marbles, and Maher & Grosh(out of Toledo,Ohio).
When I get time,I'll dig out some Outdoor Life/Field & Stream that I have from the 1930's.

Any of that stuff would be appreciated. And some of the Keen Kutter (& M&G, Remington?) was special order stuff from Ulster/ Walden/ Schrade/ Geo. Schrade.

Codger

*blinks*

I have that Ulster...

*goes to check*

I have THAT Ulster! :D

Can you make a higher-resolution scan of that, Codger? I'd be quite grateful- this would go great in with my Scout knife collection.

Sent. You owe me a scout knife. Otay Buhwheet?

Codger

PS- Let me know if you need higher res.

Not a scout knife Codg, but a nice "broken-in" utility, SCC.

schradeutility003.jpg

Glenn

This one is the same pattern as the SW #914 (circa 1965). I don't have a good Ulster reference to get the Ulster number, but it is in better shape than this poor scan shows.

Scout Codger

Now this is a really "broken in" old BSA knife. I found this knife in one of my dads tool boxes several years after he passed away, I wish I new more of its history.
mj8t8x.jpg

Codger_64 said:
This one is the same pattern as the SW #914 (circa 1965). I don't have a good Ulster reference to get the Ulster number, but it is in better shape than this poor scan shows.

Scout Codger

I can maybe dial in the age a bit further... The Tenderfoot badge was first used as the Scout emblem in the later 60s, around 68-69, IIRC.

A Tenderfoot is the lowest rank on the Scouting ladder.
Here are some badges from my collection of the years I was a Scoutmaster in 60's and 70's.
The Tenderfoot badge is the top left and the Second Class badge is under it.

bsa

Ron

In the old days, the full First Class badge was used as the shield, which you can just see on the Ulster box above. It's the Tenderfoot badge with the Second Class just touching it from below.

I need to find a good Ulster Boy Scout knife for my Grandson who is into Scouting. He is 14 and in Boy Scouts. I found a nice old carbon steel Camillus Cub Scout knife for his little brother at a pawn shop, and shined it up. The lad was overjoyed.

I have been having trouble finding a decent looking Ulster Boy Scout knife on ebay. Sometime it is hard to tell just how good they are, and if they would clean up OK. Any one have a tip on finding a good one?

Thanks,
Dale

I guess it would depend on how pristine you want it to look.

Last year, I worked with my Cub scout webelos on whittling chip, and when they had finished it, I presented them each a cub scout pocket knife, you know the blue handled ones. Now, Dale, these things were far from mint. In fact, they were well used, but not abused. The handles were intact, and the blades were at least 95-99% full. I cleaned, polished, oiled, and sharpened them. I made it clear that these were a gift from me, and to look at them as a knife that was 'used' by some cub scout before them.

I didn't pay loads of money for them, and if the boys lost them or didn't take good care of them, I would not feel that bad. My son was one of those scouts, BTW. It was also a lesson that you don't have to get something brand new and shiny for it to be good quality, and that sometimes the older stuff is better quality.

I have several of those Ulsters that I think you are talking about, that I also got off ebay. My advice is, they go pretty cheap most of the time, so buy a few of them. They do clean up pretty good, but pay attention to the handles. They are the one thing that can't really be 'cleaned up'. ALso, the etches are almost always gone on these.

If you can't find a good one, let me know. I might have one that would work for you.

Glenn

And if I remember correctly, they were also made under the Imperial tangstamp. Imperial is still far undervalued, IMHO. At less that $25 (such as the one I showed), any of the three tangstamps are a bargain as a good user. Keep in mind that these knives are a multi-interest item, as there are BSA collectors as well as knife collectors buying them. But excellent user deals are still out there!

Codger

Back