You know you are a SAK-addict, when...

When you spend x4 the price of a new alox SAK just to get an old cross with brass liners version.

$_57.jpg

Last edited:
In the truest sense, a person is an addict to anything when he is physiologically or psychologically dependent. Since we cannot be physiologically dependent on a SAK, it boils down to psychological dependence.

I am definitely psychologically dependent on SAKs, both in terms of their acquisition and hoarding, but also as to daily carry and usage. When I watch Netflix with Mrs. Powernoodle, I am usually playing with a Swiss Army Knife at the same time. So yeah, I'm definitely an addict.

But we are not addicts in the same sense that one is addicted to alcohol or drugs, as those addictions are defined in part as a behavior that one continues despite adverse consequences, as well as showing physiological dependence. We generally do not experience adverse consequences from buying or carrying SAKs, so long as our mortgage bills are still being paid.

In the truest sense, a person is an addict to anything when he is physiologically or psychologically dependent. Since we cannot be physiologically dependent on a SAK, it boils down to psychological dependence.

I am definitely psychologically dependent on SAKs, both in terms of their acquisition and hoarding, but also as to daily carry and usage. When I watch Netflix with Mrs. Powernoodle, I am usually playing with a Swiss Army Knife at the same time. So yeah, I'm definitely an addict.

But we are not addicts in the same sense that one is addicted to alcohol or drugs, as those addictions are defined in part as a behavior that one continues despite adverse consequences, as well as showing physiological dependence. We generally do not experience adverse consequences from buying or carrying SAKs, so long as our mortgage bills are still being paid.

Biopsychosocial disease. Believe that I fall within two of the parameters, lol. My warden sees the ever changing mini pile by my easy chair. But she does shoes and purses so we are cool. :D

When you realize that since 1969, when I got my very first SAK, that no matter what other knives I thought I loved at the time, a SAK was always around someplace close. No matter if my love of the time was a stockman, barlow, or even a peanut, a SAK was rinding back up.

When you go to fly someplace far off for vacation, and you don't want to be knife less, so you can mail one knife to yourself where you will be staying. That knife will have to handle everything from cutting bait, slicing lime for cold Corona's, opening plastic packages, and even tinkering with a badly running rented motor scooter. And that one knife you choose for a whole week or more is a SAK.

When a SAK becomes your benchmark for measuring all other pocket knives for fit and finish, blade pull, and function. And you find most other knives don't measure up to the Swiss standard.

When you're out in the middle of a very long winding lake, and the twist grip control on the electric trolling motor decides to come apart, and it's a very one paddle back. You find the long phillips screw that held it together laying in the bottom of the boat, and the SAK is used to put it all back together to motor back. The screw went into a deeply recessed and no way a dime or knife blade would do. The SAK saved the day.

I realize I'm a SAK addict when I count the times that a SAK has saved the day for me. Many times. And no other pocket knife would have done that.

Back