You never know when you're gonna need a pocket knife...

Scares the crap out of me how many augers and pto shafts we are around daily on the farm and nothing happens so people will become complacent.
I’d be willing to bet he has thought about that situation dozens of times before, I’d also bet he had a sharp stockman or buck.

A pocket knife won’t help you if one arm is wrapped up in an auger. Especially if it’s in the wrong pocket.

There is a member here who carries two fixed blade KaBar’s daily around a farm. Because his grandfather told him to always carry a fixed blade Incase he has to cut off his own arm. He asked his grandfather what if it’s the arm that can’t reach the knife? So they both started carrying two knives.

I can’t remember his name or If he’s still active here. Hope he doesn’t mind I told his story in any case.

How many here carry a tourniquet??

Wow.... I am just not sure that I could do that.... no matter the amount of damage.

Freakin' amazing what the will to survive will do for you.

Gruesome! How does one do that w/o passing out from shock and loss of blood? Hope I never have to make a choice like that!!! :eek:

Didn’t I see you post that you never use your knives? Do you carry one?

That would be the only way you could make a choice like that. :)

most farmers I know carry some type of cloth handkerchief which is usually big enough to use as a tourniquet
(at least the older generation did, I don't know any farmers that are younger than 40 (personally))
even so, I expect even the younger ones would, it's a valuable thing to have a cloth handy for a dozen different situations on a farm

A pocket knife won’t help you if one arm is wrapped up in an auger. Especially if it’s in the wrong pocket.

There is a member here who carries two fixed blade KaBar’s daily around a farm. Because his grandfather told him to always carry a fixed blade Incase he has to cut off his own arm. He asked his grandfather what if it’s the arm that can’t reach the knife? So they both started carrying two knives.

I can’t remember his name or If he’s still active here. Hope he doesn’t mind I told his story in any case.

How many here carry a tourniquet??

I carry tweezers... Does that count?

Back