Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
Well folks, it's that time of year again! ;) You old hands know the score, but for our newer members, I'll quote from my thread last year :thumbsup:

In 2017, if you’re lucky, you may have bought, found, or been given, an EXCEPTIONAL knife. Maybe it was a knife you didn’t think was going to be that special, but it has absolutely CHARMED you. Perhaps it was an inexpensive knife, which you picked up somewhere, slipped in your pocket, and then found you couldn’t stop carrying it. It must be a knife you have gotten since the start of the year. If you’ve come across a knife like that, perhaps you’d like to nominate it as YOUR knife of the year.

Now, it could be that you’ve been perfectly happy carrying the knife you bought or were given many years ago, a knife which has served you so well, why would you want to change? If that’s the case, good luck to you my friend, but that knife doesn’t qualify.

It could be that you’ve had lots of knives this year, and liked many of them, but none of them really stood out. Don’t worry, maybe something will come along next year, which will absolutely knock your socks off. You can tell us about that knife next year.

Also, and we always get a couple of these, you may be one of those indecisive folks who just can’t make your mind up. Maybe you have two, or three, or four knives you really like, and can’t decide which you like the best. If that applies to you, feel free to start another thread, because if ONE of those knives doesn’t stand out, it doesn’t deserve to be nominated for this one. By all means mention a number of knives, but in the end, YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE. If you can’t…on yer bike! ;)

It get worse, there’s no prize for this, and there’s no winner! :D We’re just talking knives, and telling each other which single knife has made all the difference to us this year. So let’s begin :) :thumbsup:

I've had a busy year, with work, and with an inordinate amount of hospital appointments (nothing too serious, just wear and tear), I was also very busy sorting out Lambsfoot knives for the Guardians, which took up a lot of time, particularly towards the start of the year. I haven't bought as many knives as I usually do, but I have been gifted a fair few by the generous folks on The Porch.

jA1Ah3H.jpg

I received a spectacular collection of old Sheffield Barlows from Charlie @waynorth, but they're too precious to EDC. I was also thrilled to receive one of his Spearpoint TC Ancient Barlows. I am lucky enough to own a couple of Charlie's first Ancients, and think they are very special knives, so I was very pleased to see another knife produced, and its definitely a contender for my Knife of 2018.

i9AhG8C.jpg

I've been wanting a novelty Zorro Barlow for absolutely ages! :D Having won a prize in Tom @Whetstone39 's very generous giveaway a few months back, Zorro was my chosen prize. Poor old Tom had a real job getting him to me, but then he rode into town with a full posse of compadres, as well as a super fine Case Barlow. Zorro gets a nomination.

I spent so long trying to get the right ebony and horn for the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives they really wore me out. Of the two, I prefer the ebony, and have carried it a great deal. I really like it as a knife. That's definitely in.

The Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot was a bit of a mid-year afterthought. Wright's in Sheffield had managed to get hold of some nice Sambar stag, and I thought I'd ask them to make up a few special Lambsfoot knives. The AC is definitely in there.

Other honourable mentions must go to a lovely #14 I received from Randy, which means a great deal to me, and a Maserin Plow Dylan recently sent me, which is shaping up nicely as a winter hiking companion. I just haven't carried them enough for them to make the cut though. I've also had some beautiful knives from my friend @herder .

vVAyQ8y.jpg

So, I'm down to four, and really the choice for me is between the two Lambsfoot knives, Zorro is too new, and the Ancient is a slow-burner. I think about this thread a lot during the year, and hope I'll be surprised by some knife or other. The ebony '18 is a great user, and I absolutely love it as a knife, I hope I'll carry it a lot in years to come.

VBzHkJJ.jpg

However, it is the Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot that really took me by surprise. I had 28 of these knives made, and was really pleased with all of them, as I hope their Guardians are. The AC is built on a smaller frame to the '18, and I've previously not thought so much of it, but the AC has really won me over, and I've found it hard to kick the little knife out of my pocket.

RIlVrC3.jpg

So that's it folks, MY Knife of 2018 is my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot, made for me by Arthur Wright & Son of Sheffield. What about you, let's see your Knife of 2018 :thumbsup:

Jack

This is an easy one for me because this year I finally got around to having a knife customized with a theme that I've been thinking about for a long time. I just had to wait for the right knife to come along and then find someone to do the work.

After carrying a GEC Churchill for close to a year, I knew that was the pattern that I wanted to use for the mod.

It might a little extreme to call this "my dream knife" but that's as close as I can come to describing how I feel about it.

I sent this Maroon Micarta Churchill off for customization.
Maroon Churchill.JPG

And it came back looking like a spittin' image of the vision I had in my head all that time. I call it "The Gambler" because of the Ace of Spades theme and also because the person doing the work had to make the shield by hand and I knew I was taking a gamble on the outcome.

It's not perfect but it's exactly what I wanted and being a Churchill, it has proven a fine companion since I got it back on 11/9/18. I rotate my watch pocket knives but I don't see The Gambler ever leaving my right front pocket.
The Gambler2.jpg

As a matter of principle it is difficult to choose one specific knife, I am not wealthy enough to get knives I wouldn't like! ;)
Like you, Jack, I much benefited of Charlie @waynorth 's generosity and the Ancient Barlow II is often in my pocket, a real stalwart. I dig the warmth of the handle and use her more than often at lunch time and as such she is a great contender for the title.
15-Miroir.jpg

My Year's knife however is the 14 Dead Skunk, not only because she is so nimble she seems to jump into the hand when needed but because she was this year's best surprise and arrived unexpectedly thanks to Barrett @btb01 !

14DS_GOURDE.jpg

Last edited:
I had a few great Tuna knives come in this year. But one in particular I've been on the hunt for a mint example for a long long time. I liked the pearl humpback whittler, and the burlwood muskrat, but my knife of the year is the stag swingguard.

2018-tuna-valley-humpback-pearl-01.jpg
2018-tuna-valley-muskrat-burl-01.jpg
2012-tuna-swing-burnt-02web.jpg

This was an easy choice for me, there was one stand-out knife for me this year...

It was a busy year of buying and selling knives. I keep my knife collection at about 20 pieces, so when I want to try a new one I usually end up selling (or giving away) an old one. I've probably bought and sold/gave close to 50 knives this year. :eek: Some knives I love and they will never go anywhere. Others I know are just holding a place for another acquisition down the road. My knife of the year is one of my newer ones but has probably had more pocket time than any other knife I own already. It has been in my pocket every day, even if I start the day with a different one. I carry this knife so much that I recently acquired a knife slip ( thanks @glocktenman ) so that I can carry a second knife to give some of the others more travel time. The knife I speak of is an absolute dream to carry in the watch pocket, so small and slim. Even though it's small, the blade is plenty large enough to get just about any chore done that crosses my path on a typical day. The all steel construction, the handy clip blade shape, the ebony handle covers, and the end caps make it durable and should last for years and years, which is nice since I tend to drop knives a lot because I use them as fidget toys. This knife wasn't a top choice for a knife purchase, in fact I picked it up used on a whim because I couldn't refuse the reduced price, so it was a bargain too. Last but certainly not least, this knife fits the carry requirements for California public schools, so I can have it with me at work and nobody bats an eye if I pull it out and use it. :cool:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my Knife of the Year... (drum roll)... The 2018 GEC #14 in Ebony :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the great posts folks, really enjoying reading them :thumbsup:

This is an easy one for me because this year I finally got around to having a knife customized with a theme that I've been thinking about for a long time. I just had to wait for the right knife to come along and then find someone to do the work.

After carrying a GEC Churchill for close to a year, I knew that was the pattern that I wanted to use for the mod.

It might a little extreme to call this "my dream knife" but that's as close as I can come to describing how I feel about it.

I sent this Maroon Micarta Churchill off for customization.
View attachment 1031457

And it came back looking like a spittin' image of the vision I had in my head all that time. I call it "The Gambler" because of the Ace of Spades theme and also because the person doing the work had to make the shield by hand and I knew I was taking a gamble on the outcome.

It's not perfect but it's exactly what I wanted and being a Churchill, it has proven a fine companion since I got it back on 11/9/18. I rotate my watch pocket knives but I don't see The Gambler ever leaving my right front pocket.
View attachment 1031462

Wow! What a beauty! :) The Churchill looks to be a useful pattern, and that is really a special knife :thumbsup:

As a matter of principle it is difficult to choose one specific knife, I am not wealthy enough to get knives I wouldn't like! ;)
Like you, Jack, I much benefited of Charlie @waynorth 's generosity and the Ancient Barlow II is often in my pocket, a real stalwart. I dig the warmth of the handle and use her more than often at lunch time and as such she is a great contender for the title.
15-Miroir.jpg

My Year's knife however is the 14 Dead Skunk, not only because she is so nimble she seems to jump into the hand when needed but because she was this year's best surprise and arrived unexpectedly thanks to Barrett @btb01 !

14DS_GOURDE.jpg

Great pics JP, and a nice choice :) :thumbsup:

I had a few great Tuna knives come in this year. But one in particular I've been on the hunt for a mint example for a long long time. I liked the pearl humpback whittler, and the burlwood muskrat, but my knife of the year is the stag swingguard.

2018-tuna-valley-humpback-pearl-01.jpg
2018-tuna-valley-muskrat-burl-01.jpg
2012-tuna-swing-burnt-02web.jpg

Three really nice knives there, but I can see why you picked the Swingguard :thumbsup: Lovely pics too :thumbsup:

I hereby declare myself the winner and offer myself the prize of an extra cup of coffee, which I graciously accept.
qBmNg4u.jpg

You talkin' to me?
34S68Hb.jpg

I don't see anybody else here, so I guess you must be talkin' to me.

That was a great find Jer :) :thumbsup:

This was an easy choice for me, there was one stand-out knife for me this year...

It was a busy year of buying and selling knives. I keep my knife collection at about 20 pieces, so when I want to try a new one I usually end up selling (or giving away) an old one. I've probably bought and sold/gave close to 50 knives this year. :eek: Some knives I love and they will never go anywhere. Others I know are just holding a place for another acquisition down the road. My knife of the year is one of my newer ones but has probably had more pocket time than any other knife I own already. It has been in my pocket every day, even if I start the day with a different one. I carry this knife so much that I recently acquired a knife slip ( thanks @glocktenman ) so that I can carry a second knife to give some of the others more travel time. The knife I speak of is an absolute dream to carry in the watch pocket, so small and slim. Even though it's small, the blade is plenty large enough to get just about any chore done that crosses my path on a typical day. The all steel construction, the handy clip blade shape, the ebony handle covers, and the end caps make it durable and should last for years and years, which is nice since I tend to drop knives a lot because I use them as fidget toys. This knife wasn't a top choice for a knife purchase, in fact I picked it up used on a whim because I couldn't refuse the reduced price, so it was a bargain too. Last but certainly not least, this knife fits the carry requirements for California public schools, so I can have it with me at work and nobody bats an eye if I pull it out and use it. :cool:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my Knife of the Year... (drum roll)... The 2018 GEC #14 in Ebony :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Nice choice John :) :thumbsup:

Well we will see if my Forum knife arrives this month, but even so I believe this will be my knife of the year.
L6ieV49.jpg

I think that one will be hard to trump :thumbsup:

It will have to be the 2018 Forum Knife for me when it arrives, because I haven't acquired any other knives in 2018.

But what if you don't like it?! :eek: ;) :D :thumbsup:

Well folks, it's that time of year again! ;) You old hands know the score, but for our newer members, I'll quote from my thread last year :thumbsup:

In 2017, if you’re lucky, you may have bought, found, or been given, an EXCEPTIONAL knife. Maybe it was a knife you didn’t think was going to be that special, but it has absolutely CHARMED you. Perhaps it was an inexpensive knife, which you picked up somewhere, slipped in your pocket, and then found you couldn’t stop carrying it. It must be a knife you have gotten since the start of the year. If you’ve come across a knife like that, perhaps you’d like to nominate it as YOUR knife of the year.

Now, it could be that you’ve been perfectly happy carrying the knife you bought or were given many years ago, a knife which has served you so well, why would you want to change? If that’s the case, good luck to you my friend, but that knife doesn’t qualify.

It could be that you’ve had lots of knives this year, and liked many of them, but none of them really stood out. Don’t worry, maybe something will come along next year, which will absolutely knock your socks off. You can tell us about that knife next year.

Also, and we always get a couple of these, you may be one of those indecisive folks who just can’t make your mind up. Maybe you have two, or three, or four knives you really like, and can’t decide which you like the best. If that applies to you, feel free to start another thread, because if ONE of those knives doesn’t stand out, it doesn’t deserve to be nominated for this one. By all means mention a number of knives, but in the end, YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE. If you can’t…on yer bike! ;)

It get worse, there’s no prize for this, and there’s no winner! :D We’re just talking knives, and telling each other which single knife has made all the difference to us this year. So let’s begin :) :thumbsup:

I've had a busy year, with work, and with an inordinate amount of hospital appointments (nothing too serious, just wear and tear), I was also very busy sorting out Lambsfoot knives for the Guardians, which took up a lot of time, particularly towards the start of the year. I haven't bought as many knives as I usually do, but I have been gifted a fair few by the generous folks on The Porch.

jA1Ah3H.jpg

I received a spectacular collection of old Sheffield Barlows from Charlie @waynorth, but they're too precious to EDC. I was also thrilled to receive one of his Spearpoint TC Ancient Barlows. I am lucky enough to own a couple of Charlie's first Ancients, and think they are very special knives, so I was very pleased to see another knife produced, and its definitely a contender for my Knife of 2018.

i9AhG8C.jpg

I've been wanting a novelty Zorro Barlow for absolutely ages! :D Having won a prize in Tom @Whetstone39 's very generous giveaway a few months back, Zorro was my chosen prize. Poor old Tom had a real job getting him to me, but then he rode into town with a full posse of compadres, as well as a super fine Case Barlow. Zorro gets a nomination.

I spent so long trying to get the right ebony and horn for the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives they really wore me out. Of the two, I prefer the ebony, and have carried it a great deal. I really like it as a knife. That's definitely in.

The Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot was a bit of a mid-year afterthought. Wright's in Sheffield had managed to get hold of some nice Sambar stag, and I thought I'd ask them to make up a few special Lambsfoot knives. The AC is definitely in there.

Other honourable mentions must go to a lovely #14 I received from Randy, which means a great deal to me, and a Maserin Plow Dylan recently sent me, which is shaping up nicely as a winter hiking companion. I just haven't carried them enough for them to make the cut though. I've also had some beautiful knives from my friend @herder .

vVAyQ8y.jpg

So, I'm down to four, and really the choice for me is between the two Lambsfoot knives, Zorro is too new, and the Ancient is a slow-burner. I think about this thread a lot during the year, and hope I'll be surprised by some knife or other. The ebony '18 is a great user, and I absolutely love it as a knife, I hope I'll carry it a lot in years to come.

VBzHkJJ.jpg

However, it is the Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot that really took me by surprise. I had 28 of these knives made, and was really pleased with all of them, as I hope their Guardians are. The AC is built on a smaller frame to the '18, and I've previously not thought so much of it, but the AC has really won me over, and I've found it hard to kick the little knife out of my pocket.

RIlVrC3.jpg

So that's it folks, MY Knife of 2018 is my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot, made for me by Arthur Wright & Son of Sheffield. What about you, let's see your Knife of 2018 :thumbsup:

Jack
Great thread, Jack! I'll have to post something next week here, as I am preparing for a short trip.

Now that I'm about halfway thru my morning "Jeroboam" of coffee...:D

Z2nieTX.jpg

This knife actually took me by complete surprise. :eek:

It's easily my 2018 Pick Of The Year! :D

Honorable Mention(s):

The #15 Antique TC Barlow & #46 Ironwood Whaler were my most exciting purchases of the year. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- Del

RIlVrC3.jpg

Jack

And Jack,

Best of health to you and your family.

Regards,

- Del

John (@JK Knives) brought my vision of a lunch box knife to reality back in March, and it is an incredibly versatile and beautiful piece. With his 3" handle from the Bluegill, we added on a 4" straight back blade made from 1/16" 440C. It is compact, light, and packs a whopper of an edge. Fruits, vegetables, pork chops, and chicken breasts don't stand a chance. The simple, lightweight, fold over leather sheath slips neatly into my right front pocket and never intrudes, making it a joy to tote around.

VWaToeM.jpg

ichKlyJ.jpg

h1TUSd7.jpg

My JK Knives Pocket Chef is my choice for 2018 Knife of the Year.

Awesome knife Railsplitter!
I had exactly the same experience, and no contest the result is my knife of the decade.
The Churchill for me checked all the boxes and I was very disappointed that there was not a jigged bone Northfield variant on offer. So I had that remedied.
I need to get some more good pics of this knife but I have been so busy (lazy) this year I haven't had the time.

wH9cg3s.jpg

Awesome knife Railsplitter!
I had exactly the same experience, and no contest the result is my knife of the decade.
The Churchill for me checked all the boxes and I was very disappointed that there was not a jigged bone Northfield variant on offer. So I had that remedied.
I need to get some more good pics of this knife but I have been so busy (lazy) this year I haven't had the time.

wH9cg3s.jpg

The jigging on that knife is awesome. Probably the best covers I've seen on a GEC. Love it. Wish it could have come from GEC that way.

Last edited:
Now that I'm about halfway thru my morning "Jeroboam" of coffee...:D

Z2nieTX.jpg

This knife actually took me by complete surprise. :eek:

It's easily my 2018 Pick Of The Year! :D

Honorable Mention(s):

The #15 Antique TC Barlow & #46 Ironwood Whaler were my most exciting purchases of the year. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- Del

And Jack,

Best of health to you and your family.

Regards,

- Del

Great choice Del, and the same to you and yours :) :thumbsup:

John (@JK Knives) brought my vision of a lunch box knife to reality back in March, and it is an incredibly versatile and beautiful piece. With his 3" handle from the Bluegill, we added on a 4" straight back blade made from 1/16" 440C. It is compact, light, and packs a whopper of an edge. Fruits, vegetables, pork chops, and chicken breasts don't stand a chance. The simple, lightweight, fold over leather sheath slips neatly into my right front pocket and never intrudes, making it a joy to tote around.

VWaToeM.jpg

ichKlyJ.jpg

h1TUSd7.jpg

My JK Knives Pocket Chef is my choice for 2018 Knife of the Year.

That looks VERY slicey Shawn! :eek: Nice pics too :) :thumbsup:

Mine has been a surprise for sure. I bought this LT Wright Patriot as a pocketable fixed blade. Super sharp, handy size, make tinder, make shavings, skinned a doe, started a fire using a fero rod.... Great size.

I've dropped it and damaged the edge on concrete.... had to redo the edge, now it's shaving sharp.

I actually thought I lost it a couple of weeks ago in the woods. I found out the next day that I had forgotten to remove it from a pocket and the wife found it prior to washing.

I spent about 2 days worrying about it and looking to buy a replacement ASAP. Just a great little knife.

qp4qMGv.jpg

Last edited:
Back