Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

After 13 pages of fine knives and some exceptional beauties I am compelled to share my 2018 lot.
These all CUSTOMS - but surprisingly very affordable by exceptionally talented and humble gents - who too, were generous with their consideration to making the knife I wanted. This 2018 has been extraordinary in this regard. Other acquired knives from here on out are just me responding to the delights - my needs are met with these 3.

I give a number 1 rank because the rules require but I'm hard pressed to call one a favorite - still I do :D
Thanks for asking. Thanks for sharing. A happy New Year too all!

Ray

From Spain - Maker - José Antonio Herreros
View attachment 1045259

From Finland - Maker - Henri Tikkanen
View attachment 1045260

From Montana USA -
MY VOTE FOR #1 Maker - John Conner - Remeadow Knives

View attachment 1045262

All quite beautiful.

This is easy for me this time...now! In the few years that I've been around here, I wouldn't have been able to do this. And this year wasn't going to be any different for me. The knives that I accumulate throughout the year all seem to rise to the top from time to time, making choosing "The One" an idea that would change soon after I though of it.

The year started for me with a couple GEC 78's - a great pattern, and excellent Execution by GEC!
LfVG4Jx.jpg

Then came Mike's 77 Barlows. Luckily scored 2, and my brother ended up with the Ironwood on a coin-toss. The Elderberry is amazing though!
7fe4MHQ.jpg

I couldn't believe it when I landed one of Charlie's Ancients...blocky sawcut covers and all!
0PdA14v.jpg

Both of these 44 Gunstocks have me going back & forth. Each having it's own "It" factor.
ktuOmN8.jpg

But - now it's clear to me. How can I not pick the knife that my daughter searched out and gave to me on Christmas day? And I think it's a beauty - my knife of the year - a Case SR6347 1/2 Stockman.
USMQGCq.jpg

uc8FGcO.jpg

VrKk92m.jpg

Thank you Jack for reopening this thread!

Last edited:
View attachment 1045362

In order to avoid any confusion, and especially to avoid the wrath of Jack, I am only posting one photograph; my 2018 Knife of the Year.

It came early in the year, but has withstood the test of several months to remain my favorite. The run of 43’s were epic. The Oregon Collector’s Club commissioned a SFO. Although I live about as far from Oregon as you can in the lower 48, I managed to snag one of these limited knives. It has beautiful random jigged bone handles with the Beaver Shield. What’s not to like? I believe it is the best of the 43’s, and my favorite knife of 2018!

Thank you Jack for your tremendous contributions to the Porch. I hope you have a great 2019!

Last edited:
0920181856_Film1.jpg
Well I procrastinated the first time around, kept thinking it over. I really only got back into traditional knives in 2018 so almost ALL my traditionals were contenders for one reason or another. There were a few in the top running, the Bullnose would probably be my runner up, its a gift from a fellow forum member, my first GEC, a favorite pattern of mine, I could go on and on. But the reason I chose this one is not only is a great old knife, with nice full blades, but its my first real OLD knife. Most likely its seen a century. This is the knife that sparked my vintage/antique knife interests, which in turn sparked my interest in traditional knife history. And I like history, I was thrilled to add to the discussion in the "old knives" thread on Empire produced knives with this knife. To me even though my personal knowledge wasn't much on the subject I was thrilled to add another piece to the puzzle. And that's why it's my pick

View attachment 1045429
Well I procrastinated the first time around, kept thinking it over. I really only got back into traditional knives in 2018 so almost ALL my traditionals were contenders for one reason or another. There were a few in the top running, the Bullnose would probably be my runner up, its a gift from a fellow forum member, my first GEC, a favorite pattern of mine, I could go on and on. But the reason I chose this one is not only is a great old knife, with nice full blades, but its my first real OLD knife. Most likely its seen a century. This is the knife that sparked my vintage/antique knife interests, which in turn sparked my interest in traditional knife history. And I like history, I was thrilled to add to the discussion in the "old knives" thread on Empire produced knives with this knife. To me even though my personal knowledge wasn't much on the subject I was thrilled to add another piece to the puzzle. And that's why it's my pick
Great knife and great post, David.

I hadn't realised so many of you were still making your minds up! ;) :D Thanks for the great posts folks, lots of beautiful-looking knives :thumbsup:
I'll bet we see a few more today and tomorrow. I feel like writing another one myself, but I'd just be repeating myself. Of course, I could spice it up with some choice "cuss" words! ;) :thumbsup:

There have been so many great knives this year. For me though, it was finally finding (and paying way too much) for an older knife, my personal grail, a scratted ancient TC. It is a perfect, timeless knife and I really hope to see something along the same lines of these again some day, but if not, this one will satisfy me for decades to come. I absolutely love this knife, and there is truly something about it as my wife, who isn't a "knife person," continues to borrow this one out of the 60 or so choices in my chest... she refuses all of the others much to my dismay.

0oG6xPb.jpg

Another grail which came my way this year, was landing my first Case/Bose collaboration knife, an Ebony Tribal Spear. The zulu/tribal spear is perhaps my favorite pattern, it fits my hand so well and is effortlessly useful. I love the size of a GEC TC, as well as the 85 and 78 size, but these spears just feel right despite being slightly larger. As for my first experience with the Bose Case, it is simply unmatched, I cannot express how perfectly crafted and attended to these knives feel. Everything about this knife is as you would want it to be and I can only hope to come into more of these in 2019.

JkYGc54.jpg

As for production this year, I was overjoyed to have been given a shot at one of these smooth bone ancient's from the rendezvous. It is a wonderful little knife, perfectly balanced, elegant, and a joy to carry.

osnwLCz.jpg

These are without question my most carried and favorite knives this year, but this one came in right at the buzzer and I could not be more impressed. Again I was very fortunate to have another porch member reach out to me with an opportunity to purchase it despite not getting in on the reserve. It is my first CK SFO Northfield 85 EO and it will be with me for the rest of my days with any luck, hopefully being passed down the generations to come, that is just how special I think it is. Everything about it is perfect, superior even to the other examples from this run that I came into. Out of all of the patterns I've enjoyed this year, ever even, this one knife has to take the top spot for me, it truly is something special and I am grateful to slip it into my pocket whenever I want.

BAXBn8h.jpg

Happy 2018, hope it was a great one to you, and cheers to a phenomenal 2019!

Chris

Isn't New Year's more like 30 hours away (UK time)? Today is the 30th, isn't it? :confused:

LOL! Sorry folks! :D For some reason, I thought r8shell r8shell was asking if it was New Year's Eve here!! :rolleyes: o_O :D :thumbsup:

There have been so many great knives this year. For me though, it was finally finding (and paying way too much) for an older knife, my personal grail, a scratted ancient TC. It is a perfect, timeless knife and I really hope to see something along the same lines of these again some day, but if not, this one will satisfy me for decades to come. I absolutely love this knife, and there is truly something about it as my wife, who isn't a "knife person," continues to borrow this one out of the 60 or so choices in my chest... she refuses all of the others much to my dismay.

0oG6xPb.jpg

Another grail which came my way this year, was landing my first Case/Bose collaboration knife, an Ebony Tribal Spear. The zulu/tribal spear is perhaps my favorite pattern, it fits my hand so well and is effortlessly useful. I love the size of a GEC TC, as well as the 85 and 78 size, but these spears just feel right despite being slightly larger. As for my first experience with the Bose Case, it is simply unmatched, I cannot express how perfectly crafted and attended to these knives feel. Everything about this knife is as you would want it to be and I can only hope to come into more of these in 2019.

JkYGc54.jpg

As for production this year, I was overjoyed to have been given a shot at one of these smooth bone ancient's from the rendezvous. It is a wonderful little knife, perfectly balanced, elegant, and a joy to carry.

osnwLCz.jpg

These are without question my most carried and favorite knives this year, but this one came in right at the buzzer and I could not be more impressed. Again I was very fortunate to have another porch member reach out to me with an opportunity to purchase it despite not getting in on the reserve. It is my first CK SFO Northfield 85 EO and it will be with me for the rest of my days with any luck, hopefully being passed down the generations to come, that is just how special I think it is. Everything about it is perfect, superior even to the other examples from this run that I came into. Out of all of the patterns I've enjoyed this year, ever even, this one knife has to take the top spot for me, it truly is something special and I am grateful to slip it into my pocket whenever I want.

BAXBn8h.jpg

Happy 2018, hope it was a great one to you, and cheers to a phenomenal 2019!

Chris

WOW!!! Looks like you had quite a year Chris, those are all incredible knives, and your final choice is an absolute peach :) :thumbsup:

Back