Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

I've had a pretty good year but the choice was pretty easy, this one is second and a pretty special Whaler from this years Rendezvous,

IMG_9083.jpg

Easily the top knife of the year for me is not a single knife but a set of vintage salesman sample Ulster Barlows in mint condition, don't think I will ever be able to acquire something like this ever again, thanks Charlie!

IMG_9171.jpg IMG_9169.jpg

I really do not know how many new to me knives that I have acquired so far in 2018 . However , there are 4 that just jump to mind .
Ruuner-up # 3 : My #35 Pickle Knife

Runner-up # 2 : The one that I call Georgia is a Bulldog Swayback Barlow by a slight edge over the Stag Bulldog Barlow : Thanks @LastRodeo

Runner-up # 1 : Stag 43

My knife of the year is the Northfield 77 Barlow in Desert Ironwood . If I had ordered a Custom Barlow , I would have ordered one like this .

Harry

This was a fairly easy choice for me, I have wanted a Remington saw scout for a long time, and picked one up this year. I thought it might be the perfect “bbq knife”; I absolutely love grilling and at most family or impromptu gatherings I end up on grill duty :). So something that I could throw in my pocket that would cover as many bases as possible, that will cut stuff of course, but also open bottles etc. Other scouts and SAKs have worked very well in the past, but I had high hopes for the saw scout. It functions perfectly in this capacity.

EsrIlHI.jpg

L4HtnZj.jpg

ZY0OBxi.jpg

Awesome knife Railsplitter!
I had exactly the same experience, and no contest the result is my knife of the decade.
The Churchill for me checked all the boxes and I was very disappointed that there was not a jigged bone Northfield variant on offer. So I had that remedied.
I need to get some more good pics of this knife but I have been so busy (lazy) this year I haven't had the time.

wH9cg3s.jpg

Yes! I made "The List"!

Easy choice for me. I bought quite a few knives this year after joining the porch. You folks are bad for my wallet! :D I even bought two GECs. None of them were exactly what I wanted and many have been gifted, including the GECs to my grand kids. This Case Teardrop is the closest knife I've found to my ideal knife and is my knife of the year!

I like the smooth natural bone and really like the lack of a shield. The lines of the knife are great. I like the way the closed blade flows into the handle.

teardrop.jpg
The blade is centered when closed.

teardrop2.jpg
Even at the half stop, the back spring is almost flush (a little hard to see in the photo).

teardrop1.jpg

Overall, a great knife!

tearrop3.jpg

For me it was the year of the Eureka Jack. I had to sell quite a few to acquire these, but it was worth it, as I have finally settled on what I believe to be my favorite pattern.

The NF Autumn Gold jigged bone was the one I worked hardest and longest to (re)obtain. I had one a few years ago, did a horrible job sharpening it, and sold it in disgust. I put feelers out, frequented the WTB thread, and finally found one on the exchange....thanks to @Stropping Young Lad and @Rockon75 bringing it to my attention.

The one that wins though is the bare head ebony Tidioute. When I first started looking for the Autumn Gold 92, I asked the aforementioned @Rockon75 if he had one, or any leads on one, and he didn't, but did have a couple with different handles. I'm not sure how much time passed after that, but one day I got the mail, to find a nice letter, accompanied by a wonderful gift of the certified useful, beautifully simple, Ebony Eureka. No knife has been in my pocket more this year, and I'm guessing 2019 will be no different. Thank you again Josh!
20181204_164633.jpg

This is a tough choice, I got some great knives this year! After some back and forth I went with this Buck 501:

I found SK knives after getting the forum knife going, and ordered one of these when he first released them. It is too big to get carried at work, but it goes in my pocket every weekend!

For me it was the year of the Eureka Jack. I had to sell quite a few to acquire these, but it was worth it, as I have finally settled on what I believe to be my favorite pattern.

The NF Autumn Gold jigged bone was the one I worked hardest and longest to (re)obtain. I had one a few years ago, did a horrible job sharpening it, and sold it in disgust. I put feelers out, frequented the WTB thread, and finally found one on the exchange....thanks to @Stropping Young Lad and @Rockon75 bringing it to my attention.

The one that wins though is the bare head ebony Tidioute. When I first started looking for the Autumn Gold 92, I asked the aforementioned @Rockon75 if he had one, or any leads on one, and he didn't, but did have a couple with different handles. I'm not sure how much time passed after that, but one day I got the mail, to find a nice letter, accompanied by a wonderful gift of the certified useful, beautifully simple, Ebony Eureka. No knife has been in my pocket more this year, and I'm guessing 2019 will be no different. Thank you again Josh!
View attachment 1031724

That Stag Galvanic....among the knife gods :cool::thumbsup:

Regards, Will

I had a very busy year of knife buying and selling, as it has been my first excursion into traditional pocket knife collecting. I'm a user more than a collector, though, so I keep my collection small and pass on the knives that don't make it into the rotation often enough. I've learned a lot about traditional pocket knives, learned a lot about what I like and don't like, and best of all I've met a lot of interesting and generous folks on the Porch.

One obvious candidate for knife of the year may be the scout I won in @Campbellclanman's giveaway:
IMG_4953.jpg
This knife has OUTSTANDING stag handles and it is the first scout knife I've ever owned. It is exquisite, but I don't carry it during the week because I'm usually wearing slacks, and this knife is a bit hefty for every day carry for me. Still, it is a gem.

A second candidate could be the knife I bought twice this year. I scored a nice 77 Yankee Jack and then sold it to pay for a 77 barlow I won in Mike's early reserve lottery. I ended up not liking the two-bladed barlow as much as I'd hoped, so I traded it to @Buzzbait for a single blade 77 barlow. He ended up throwing in a old barn chestnut navy knife as lagniappe, which I'll talk more about in a second. That barlow was sweet and I used it well, but for some reason the barlow just wasn't as precious to me as it seemed to most folks who are into them, so I ended up selling it. I saw another 77 Yankee Jack but wasn't able to score it, but in a fit of nostalgia I asked @afultz075 if I could buy it back from him. He graciously sold it back at the same price as I sold it to him. Here's a picture of that knife (with my Perceval Le Francais):
fullsizeoutput_2ceb.jpeg
As much as I love that knife (I know, most folks must be wondering why I'd prefer that plain-jane jack to a barlow, but I just do for whatever reason), it isn't my knife of the year either.

It has to be one of these three:
fullsizeoutput_2c1b.jpeg

My flock of lambsfoot knives. You'll see the old barn chestnut and recognize the former Navy knife I got from buzzbait. @traumkommode modified it for me after I'd seen one of his own modifications and asked him about it. It is a sweet slicer. The micarta was also a Navy knife that traumkommode modified to look like an "ancient" complete with long swedge, and sold on the exchange. I got lucky to pick it up quickly. The middle is, of course, Ashley's Choice. It is the smallest I think I'll be able to enjoy, but the thickness and shape make it sink right into my fingers. The stag has great character and is a great worry stone.

But which one of the three reigns supreme??? I could probably change my mind each day on these three because they are so pleasing to me. But, since the rule is to choose one, I choose:

fullsizeoutput_2be4.jpeg

It was a generous extra gift, it was modified by a pal, and it has the looks of a well-worn, tough critter. AND it slices like a lightsaber.

View attachment 1031724

This is one GEC pattern I haven't tried, but that really intrigues me. I'm not into spear blades that much, but they look really nice on this pattern. You've got some great ones in there!

View attachment 1031724
Beautiful collection... I am a big fan of the eureka pattern. When I carry mine I feel like I’m got a small piece of history in my pocket

This ear landed two long-term grails in my hands... the first is a 1981 Vic Soldier (my birth year). I have seen a few come and go at auction, but they tend to fetch WAY more than I'm willing to pay for a Swiss Army Knife. This Old Cross Pioneer turned up for a very reasonable price so I snagged it. Mostly it's just a Vic Pioneer, but having gotten one after a couple of years of hunting sure was nice

image000000.jpg

My knife of the year was also a long-term quest. I looked for several years for a Stag and CV Case Peanut of recent manufacture. History has shown that I just do not carry vintage Case knives for whatever reason. I didn't actually know if such a knife actually existed until it popped up for an absolute bargain. It turns out Case did a run of Ranchers in 2010 that included a Stag and CV peanut - in 4-5 years of looking, this is the first one to crop up:

image000001.jpg

The stag isn't a perfect visual match from side-to-side, but the thickness and texture are identical and I'm sure as the stag ages it'll balance out nicely. I can't say enough about how well this little guy is made. Nice crisp half stops, well-ground blades. Zero complaints... It's very photogenic too!

Last edited:
That Stag Galvanic....among the knife gods :cool::thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Absolutely true Will! It only missed the cut because of the other two I mentioned just meaning a bit more to me. Without the sentimentality, it's definitely the best of the bunch. I'm generally ambivalent towards blade etches, but this is one of two knives I own that's etch is significant to the overall aesthetics (radio Jack etch is my other).

This is one GEC pattern I haven't tried, but that really intrigues me. I'm not into spear blades that much, but they look really nice on this pattern. You've got some great ones in there!

Thanks Joshua! Funny thing is that the spear isn't my favorite blade either, but two of my favorite GEC patterns happen to feature them (79 Workhorse is the other). Generally, I would almost always choose a clip over spear, but on certain patterns I think the spear just looks better - and any difference in function for me is negligible. I actually use the coping blade more anyway.

I am going to have to say with out a doubt it this Case 1965-69 #53087 Stockman.
This knife is almost as old as I am, but still snaps closed like a gator on all blades. The blade stock is thicker on this knife than any of my other 087's, and for some reason the maker installed a larger shield (it is the original pinned shield) on this one. A joy to carry.

SP08BYC.jpg

I just love how that recover turned out. Enviable blade there, my friend! That jigging is classic and puts the knife into a whole new category of cool.

You know how much I love clipped and coped blades on a knife to make it your own, Jeff. I've got a 35 HJ with a 78 on my radar to clip, and maybe cope the 78. That's a real nice example of a Tidioute 85, too.

The winner for me this year is the following iteration of the #77 Barlow. My favorite knives are two blade knives, but they mostly were single spring opposite ends due to comfort in hand. I was turned off to most 2-blade jacks, with the exception of a few like the #66 patterns that have pretty well sunken joints. But then when these 77s came out, something about the proportions just made it right. I wasn't able to get an ironwood knife when they came out, and I had a micarta knife for a little while, but just wasn't crazy about the micarta as much as I liked the knife's proportions and hangling. Recently an opportunity to land this one showed up (thanks JaxBaron JaxBaron ) and it was love at first sight. The grain on this example is really, really sweet.

31240005117_ef0d22d881_b.jpg

Honorable mention goes to this #68 White Owl that Will Power Will Power sent to me. A little of that single spring fix, some really nice, seasoned cocobolo, and a centered cloud shield with a long pull. Ooh-la-la!

27128829587_9d3659ac89_b.jpg
The Barlow looks great with a patina. Nice #68 too!

View attachment 1031724
Ryan, I was lucky enough to find a 92 this year also but in Talon mode. The bare head ebony is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm surprised I can actually participate this year. I've carried the same GEC #73 almost continuously for the past five years, so I'm not talking about that, but late last year I received a long lusted knife for my birthday.

23913641137_59445e82bd_c.jpg

I don't carry it obviously, but I've harbored a fascination for bowies for a while. Playing with this knife, and later using it while watching James A. Keating's bowie videos have me hankering for a true fighting bowie, one with a sharpened swedge. Not because I ever want to use it, but because there is a satisfaction with owning an exemplar from its class. I'm also looking for a local fencing club where I can learn saber, as many saber techniques are directly applicable to the bowie.

I've owned this bowie for a year now and she still brings a smile of maniacal glee to my face every time I pick her up.

Whetstone39 Whetstone39 two of the knives we found when going through my late father in laws things (passed away in early Oct) were a Remington 1173 L and a Saw Scout we had given him years ago, used but well taken care of. He loved knives and had quite a few but he took special pleasure in using those two. Thanks for posting that one...

Whetstone39 Whetstone39 two of the knives we found when going through my late father in laws things (passed away in early Oct) were a Remington 1173 L and a Saw Scout we had given him years ago, used but well taken care of. He loved knives and had quite a few but he took special pleasure in using those two. Thanks for posting that one...

Happy to Jerry.

Back