Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

I'm surprised I can actually participate this year. I've carried the same GEC #73 almost continuously for the past five years, so I'm not talking about that, but late last year I received a long lusted knife for my birthday.

23913641137_59445e82bd_c.jpg

I don't carry it obviously, but I've harbored a fascination for bowies for a while. Playing with this knife, and later using it while watching James A. Keating's bowie videos have me hankering for a true fighting bowie, one with a sharpened swedge. Not because I ever want to use it, but because there is a satisfaction with owning an exemplar from its class. I'm also looking for a local fencing club where I can learn saber, as many saber techniques are directly applicable to the bowie.

I've owned this bowie for a year now and she still brings a smile of maniacal glee to my face every time I pick her up.
Now THAT's a knife!

This is a tough choice, I got some great knives this year! After some back and forth I went with this Buck 501:

I found SK knives after getting the forum knife going, and ordered one of these when he first released them. It is too big to get carried at work, but it goes in my pocket every weekend!

I also ordered one of these after the forum knife went live and I like it quite a lot.

Not a cheap knife but well worth the price with the CPM-154. If anyone else is interested they're discounted right now at SK.

Well, here goes....for years I carried an Old Timer 340T and a Victorinox Small Tinker. They pretty much covered all my pocketknife needs for almost 30 years. Then I stumbled across this forum and was corrupted by all of you.
In 2018 I picked up more than I will ever need but 3 really stick out for a few different reasons.

I picked up a Schrade 881 and really like the size and can see the versatility that may put it above a 340T for a great all around knife that could pretty much handle any cutting task I may come upon.

@Will Power gifted me a Frontier stockman that is just like the one my Grandad carried for close to 40 years, as near as I can tell. It does everything a stockman of any other brand the same size will do.

The GEC 66 is probably the perfect size stockman for someone who bounces between an office and the field. I love the quality and fit and finish of this knife. I could easily see someone buying one of these for there one and only knife.

But the rules require a selection so I’m going with the Frontier. I may not carry it as much as other knives but anytime I use it I think about the Old Man and some of the many experiences I’ve had with him throughout my life, from fishing on the Mississippi near Dubuque Iowa to taking care of Whitetail on the banks of the Milk River in NE Montana, or my girls taking him for a ride on his golf cart to his favorite watering hole for a few drinks.

9-FEB41-F3-2-D4-D-4-F4-B-8-B6-D-C7-D297435615.jpg

My 2018 knife of the year I no longer own :eek: How can this be? Well let me tell you a story about a Continental coke bottle hunter I once owned. One rainy day over the summer I decided I wanted a hunter for my collection and this old guy caught my eye.
CONT-1E.jpg
Upon receiving it, studying it and trying to figure out what the heck the tang stamp said, I eventually learned it was a Continental Cutlery knife because I ended up buying this relative a few days later, with a nice clean tang stamp :D
CONT-1H.jpg

I became fascinated with this knife and spent hours researching Continental Cutlery. I learned it was an elite line of knives from Alfred Field & Co, I learned A Field & Co was a huge importer of knives in the late 1800s/early 1900s, I learned about the McKinley tariffs of 1890 and I found myself reading congressional records / debates in Google books where importers fought the proposed tariffs to their wits end. Needless to say I was enamored with this ebony Continental hunter and the story behind it :)

Then came the day when I decided to launch my very first GAW since joining BF... The Porch may remember it as the most confusing but wildly exciting GAW of the year where Guessers had to guess my Likers in an effort to win one of two knives; an AW Wadsworth bone congress and yes, this ebony Continental. Why would I GAW a knife that I found so cool? For that very same reason, it is a cool knife and I wanted someone else from the Porch to enjoy it... and as serendipity would have it, another Continental Cutlery fan won it. I think most of us recognize Gevonovich Gevonovich photographs, so here is my knife of 2018; a wonderful knife for a wonderful friend of The Porch :)
31306590328_a7d19390b6_b.jpg

Really enjoying everyone's posts :thumbsup:

I'm surprised I can actually participate this year. I've carried the same GEC #73 almost continuously for the past five years, so I'm not talking about that, but late last year I received a long lusted knife for my birthday.

23913641137_59445e82bd_c.jpg

I don't carry it obviously, but I've harbored a fascination for bowies for a while. Playing with this knife, and later using it while watching James A. Keating's bowie videos have me hankering for a true fighting bowie, one with a sharpened swedge. Not because I ever want to use it, but because there is a satisfaction with owning an exemplar from its class. I'm also looking for a local fencing club where I can learn saber, as many saber techniques are directly applicable to the bowie.

I've owned this bowie for a year now and she still brings a smile of maniacal glee to my face every time I pick her up.

I remember you first posting about that one Kevin, heck of a knife :) :thumbsup:

My 2018 knife of the year I no longer own :eek: How can this be? Well let me tell you a story about a Continental coke bottle hunter I once owned. One rainy day over the summer I decided I wanted a hunter for my collection and this old guy caught my eye.
View attachment 1031930
Upon receiving it, studying it and trying to figure out what the heck the tang stamp said, I eventually learned it was a Continental Cutlery knife because I ended up buying this relative a few days later, with a nice clean tang stamp :D
View attachment 1031931

I became fascinated with this knife and spent hours researching Continental Cutlery. I learned it was an elite line of knives from Alfred Field & Co, I learned A Field & Co was a huge importer of knives in the late 1800s/early 1900s, I learned about the McKinley tariffs of 1890 and I found myself reading congressional records / debates in Google books where importers fought the proposed tariffs to their wits end. Needless to say I was enamored with this ebony Continental hunter and the story behind it :)

Then came the day when I decided to launch my very first GAW since joining BF... The Porch may remember it as the most confusing but wildly exciting GAW of the year where Guessers had to guess my Likers in an effort to win one of two knives; an AW Wadsworth bone congress and yes, this ebony Continental. Why would I GAW a knife that I found so cool? For that very same reason, it is a cool knife and I wanted someone else from the Porch to enjoy it... and as serendipity would have it, another Continental Cutlery fan won it. I think most of us recognize Gevonovich Gevonovich photographs, so here is my knife of 2018; a wonderful knife for a wonderful friend of The Porch :)
View attachment 1031937

What a great post, and a kind deed :)

No great lover hath a man than to lay down his knife for his friend :thumbsup:

This is a great thread idea! :]

I feel like I should wait until my customized Bucks get here (today!!! ^_^) but I still don't think they will top my #1 and runner-up.

20181205-012855.jpg

My VERY close 2nd: My #54 Big Jack. I posted about it yesterday and made it sound like I was unhappy with it. QUITE the contrary. I can't really explain, but the feel of the equal ends and the weight of it in my hand is absolutely magical. The desert ironwood is gorgeous, the shiny bolsters are perfect. The thing that keeps it at #2 for me is the slight difficulty I have opening it. Which brings me to the winner.

My knock-out, the greatest knife I scored in 2018:

20181205-012910.jpg

My MOP Case Mini Trapper. It is sheer perfection. So small, yet incredibly sturdy! Made with the precision of a piece of fancy jewelry, and I can open it with great ease. I forgot to look it up before posting this, but whatever the point name for 2nd blade is (it is almost entirely straight with a rounded tip), it is the only knife I own that has this blade type and it is amazing. Also, I saw on the general forum that someone had written about "Your knife that could survive a wood chipper." Someone mentioned the Case Peanut, and besides the shell scales that might not make it through on this particular knife, the Case Mini Trapper, I believe might just survive a wood chipper. I know I will be carrying around this little tank for years to come!

Happy Holidays everyone and here's to topping (perhaps impossible) our greatest knife of 2018! ^_^

~ Sparkly G. ♡

I forgot to look it up before posting this, but whatever the point name for 2nd blade is (it is almost entirely straight with a rounded tip), it is the only knife I own that has this blade type and it is amazing.
Spey Blade:
With the curved end of the blade being closer to perpendicular to the blade's axis than other knives and lacking a point, making penetration unlikely, spey blades are common on Trapper style pocketknives for skinning fur-bearing animals. Also good for spreading peanut butter on bread.

I like this chance to look back on the year. After consulting my spreadsheet, I found that I bought ~50 knives this year, and sold ~30. No wonder my wife rolls here eyes when the mail comes

For me, this was the year I fell in love with 2 blade single spring knives. I bought several, most of which happened to be GEC stainless. I got all these this year.
20181205_090153-1354x1015.jpg
20181205_090045-1509x1132.jpg
The 89 (the twizzler) has not been carried. The 68 is fantastic, but has a loose pen blade when closed that bugs me. The 62 got a lot of pocket time and was memorably used to cut a port hole in my bass drum head. The 61 isn't as fancy but was carried often and used for some whittling. And then the Willamette Whittler.

My top two are the 61 and the Willamette.
20181205_085934-1021x1355.jpg

My knife of the year is the Willamette. Its the best built of the bunch. Feels awesome in hand. Great blade combo. Pinchable main. Beautiful color. I can't ask for much else.
IMG_20181204_234605_152-1024x1024.jpg
I do have a 2018 forum knife on the way that would fit in with this group. I expect it to be great though I'm not sure it would take the top spot. I suppose we will see.

View attachment 1031930
View attachment 1031931

View attachment 1031937
I am honored to be the custodian of such a venerable knife, my friend ! The knife is truly treasured and sits in a special place where I can admire it every day and let it bring a big smile to my heart :) It ignites a fire in my heart and brings peace to my mind ;)

I am honored to be the custodian of such a venerable knife, my friend ! The knife is truly treasured and sits in a special place where I can admire it every day and let it bring a big smile to my heart :) It ignites a fire in my heart and brings peace to my mind ;)
See, that sounds like a more enjoyable home for that knife rather than having it force me to painstakingly read 100's of pages of Congressional reports from the 1880's :D It's my "most stressful" knife of 2018 too LoL ;)

See, that sounds like a more enjoyable home for that knife rather than having it force me to painstakingly read 100's of pages of Congressional reports from the 1880's :D It's my "most stressful" knife of 2018 too LoL ;)
That's what ignites the fire in me is your passion for the research ! The embers left, from earlier fires, shall duly flame again...
Keep the embers burning...a re-frame offer to "most stressful"...keep the gift alive :D

Thank you, Jack, for this annual knife reflection thread. :cool:

This year, I have bought and tried several patterns from Case and also Charlie's crème de la crème TC Barlow (spearpoint Ancient). Here's a few highlights of my journey.

Charlie's spearpoint Ancient is a frequent and pleasant carry for me; I made it my Avatar as it is also photogenic. But as the year went by, I realized I was looking for an EDC that I could pair with other knives.

I was also enamored with Case's Teardrop pattern and bought way too many in my pursuit for 'the one." I really like the pattern, but there isn't one that is a standout for me.

I was diverted in my pursuit, when I bought Case's Army Trapper. A fantastic knife, but not an EDC.

I really wanted to choose Case's Swayback Jack for my EDC and it was such a strong contender that I carried it and the winner for weeks to try to make a choice. In the end, it was a very close second.

Here it is my EDC and definitive 2018 Knife of the Year. Case's Navy blue bone Mini copperhead with Wharncliffe main.

Thank you, Jack, for this annual knife reflection thread. :cool:

This year, I have bought and tried several patterns from Case and also Charlie's crème de la crème TC Barlow (spearpoint Ancient). Here's a few highlights of my journey.

Charlie's spearpoint Ancient is a frequent and pleasant carry for me; I made it my Avatar as it is also photogenic. But as the year went by, I realized I was looking for an EDC that I could pair with other knives.

I was also enamored with Case's Teardrop pattern and bought way too many in my pursuit for 'the one." I really like the pattern, but there isn't one that is a standout for me.

I was diverted in my pursuit, when I bought Case's Army Trapper. A fantastic knife, but not an EDC.

I really wanted to choose Case's Swayback Jack for my EDC and it was such a strong contender that I carried it and the winner for weeks to try to make a choice. In the end, it was a very close second.

Here it is my EDC and definitive 2018 Knife of the Year. Case's Navy blue bone Mini copperhead with Wharncliffe main.

My pleasure Dean, that's an excellent post with stunning photography and outstanding knives :thumbsup: The Case Swayback Jack would definitely have been a contender for me too, I can see why it is so popular here, but I received mine, as a generous gift from @Peregrin just before last Xmas, if I remember correctly :) :thumbsup:

Oh boy, I'm not sure about this. I don't buy a ton of knives throughout the year, other than forum knives, or the occasional good deal. Although, I guess I do pick up quite a few at the knife shows, so I was forgetting them. Anyways, the knife of 2018...I have modded a few for myself that are quite nice to carry, but are otherwise not that special.

Okay, I think it will be this one...I picked this Lloyd up second hand, it is used, but lovely regardless. I guess it's my knife of 2018 due to it being a finely-made custom, that's a pleasure to look at, carry, and use.

Lloyd4 resize2.jpg

hank18.jpg

GEC #18. I prevaricated a lot about my regular day to day carry over the year, mainly due to woes with my Roundhead, but whatever happened, I could always come back to this little beauty. If it wasn't for food use, I honestly don't see that I would ever need anything else.

Back