Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

Congratulations on snagging the tortoise shell 78

Thank you sir!

glocktenman glocktenman

Hey there my glocktenman,
The Swamp Kauri on this Knife I am not sure if GEC stained the wood, or if it was nearer the Bark and naturally stained from the Peat.

Gec did a run some years back with the amazing 57 Wrangler - Oh man what a Knife!
Thank you again Paul for this gorgeous Knife my friend!

OOC197Z.jpg

3TMSDtY.jpg

shulUQC.jpg

3ssRin1.jpg

That is dark wood. It almost looks like some type of dark micarta - dark brown-maroon? Thanks for the pic. I'm not sure we have any swamp wood like that which would be good for knife handles here in Florida. Plenty of swamp though....and swamp cabbage! LOL

It was a toss up for me between the #61 and the #35, both w/ single spring. But, I kinda knew I'd love and carry both.

The one that suprised me was the #13..Irish Congress? I loved the look of the knife, but in all honesty didn't know how practical for use it would be, for me...w/ that long main..love the blade shape, but thought it might be a little long and unruly for my needs..wrong.

Beautifully elegant and practical. And I have to admit wooden covers were of my least favorite.. well. I've fallen head over heels for ebony covers and this knife is to blame..as well as many of you for posting most excellent pics of most excellent knives..

Great thread!

LUZAcjj.jpg

Great thread, really enjoyed the stories and pics.

Was a great year for traditional knives and my collection grew more than it should. After six plus years, my name finally came up on Reece's list, the result has to be a strong contender.

rboseswayback-1.jpg

It's a fine knife, but unfortunately not knife of the year. "Having isn't nearly as powerful as wanting" ~ an old girl friend.

Being a single clip TC fanatic, getting this prime example of a short run from @gunstockjack is another top contender.

TCbarlowsmoothchestnutbone1.jpg

When @waynorth picks you out a pair of fine short run single clip TCs, you have hit the lotto.

TCsoupbonepair1.jpg

Then this beautiful smooth bone ancient makes you rethink spearpoint blades. Hmmm … another stunner.

ancientTCsmoothbone-1.jpg

Love the way it's hafted, slight curve feels so good in hand.

ancientsmoothboneTC-3.jpg

How could this knife not win? One of my favorite patterns by the master in some creamy ivory. Hurts a bit when I declare it "runner-up".

bosecreamyswayback1.jpg

Despite the wonderful knives added this year, like waverave waverave my knife of the year came from the run of single clip GEC 14s. Passed on some, acrylics generally aren't my thing, group shot. Gave some away.

GEC14clipcollection-1.jpg

14 TCs deserve mention by themselves.

TCbarlow14pair-1.jpg

However ... crowned traditional knife that "Charmed" me in 2018 … drum roll please … the single clip green smooth bone GEC 14 with boot shield.

GEC14deepwoodsgreen-1.jpg

GEC14deepwoodsgreen-3.jpg

These boots are made for walkin' ... walked right into first place.

GEC14deepwoodsgreen-4.jpg

Was a great year for traditional knives and my collection grew more than it should. After six plus years, my name finally came up on Reece's list, the result has to be a strong contender.

rboseswayback-1.jpg

It's a fine knife, but unfortunately not knife of the year. "Having isn't nearly as powerful as wanting" ~ an old girl friend.

Being a single clip TC fanatic, getting this prime example of a short run from @gunstockjack is another top contender.

When @waynorth picks you out a pair of fine short run single clip TCs, you have hit the lotto.

TCsoupbonepair1.jpg

Then this beautiful smooth bone ancient makes you rethink spearpoint blades. Hmmm … another stunner.

How could this knife not win? One of my favorite patterns by the master in some creamy ivory. Hurts a bit when I declare it "runner-up".

bosecreamyswayback1.jpg

Despite the wonderful knives added this year, like waverave waverave my knife of the year came from the run of single clip GEC 14s. Passed on some, acrylics generally aren't my thing, group shot. Gave some away.

TCbarlow14pair-1.jpg

However ... crowned traditional knife that "Charmed" me in 2018 … drum roll please … the single clip green smooth bone GEC 14 with boot shield.

Great post John, you had quite a year my friend! :eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

rboseswayback-1.jpg

TCsoupbonepair1.jpg

bosecreamyswayback1.jpg

TCbarlow14pair-1.jpg

*fist bump*

Several new knives made their way into my eclectic collection in 2018, but no runner-up pics here, as one really stands out.
I was able to get on the books with Manny Saldana and had him build me this Shadow Zulu. It is my first custom that was an order from the maker, allowing me to choose exactly what I wanted.
Gold Westinghouse Micarta over black G10 liners. 3 3/4” closed, CPM154 blade. Pull a solid 6.5 and is perfectly pinchable. Nice heft in the hand.
Easily my 2018 Knife Of The Year!

CFCF03DF-BC85-459E-880A-BD9AD11CF5FC.jpeg AE758459-02CC-4C93-A44C-878937CE466B.jpeg

Several new knives made their way into my eclectic collection in 2018, but no runner-up pics here, as one really stands out.
I was able to get on the books with Manny Saldana and had him build me this Shadow Zulu. It is my first custom that was an order from the maker, allowing me to choose exactly what I wanted.
Gold Westinghouse Micarta over black G10 liners. 3 3/4” closed, CPM154 blade. Pull a solid 6.5 and is perfectly pinchable. Nice heft in the hand.

View attachment 1034870 View attachment 1034871
That is a beautiful piece of cutlery. I love Westinghouse micarta and that rich yellow exudes class. Very nice.

rboseswayback-1.jpg

TCsoupbonepair1.jpg

bosecreamyswayback1.jpg

TCbarlow14pair-1.jpg

Quality post and quality knives. I like your 2018 winner as well.

View attachment 1034870 View attachment 1034871
Not only beautiful, but beautifully made. Manuel is an artist.

That is a beautiful piece of cutlery. I love Westinghouse micarta and that rich yellow exudes class. Very nice.

Thanks! I too, love the way the Westy turned out on this one. @Signalprick said it looked like melted butterscotch, a good description!

Not only beautiful, but beautifully made. Manuel is an artist.

Indeed he is! You and I discussed this build a little and you affirmed for me how happy I would be with Manny’s work, and you were right! He is starting to build some multi-blades now, so good things are on the horizon.

Anothername, very nice knife - do tell, what is that style of bone jigging called? It’s very eye catching. OH

It’s listed as there “Golden Brown jigged bone” I would call it almost a checkered jigging. Maybe someone els here has more info

I am too lazy to look it up but I think on a gunstock it is called ‘checkering’ and logically it would be called the same if used on a knife.

It was a toss up for me between the #61 and the #35, both w/ single spring. But, I kinda knew I'd love and carry both.

The one that suprised me was the #13..Irish Congress? I loved the look of the knife, but in all honesty didn't know how practical for use it would be, for me...w/ that long main..love the blade shape, but thought it might be a little long and unruly for my needs..wrong.

Beautifully elegant and practical. And I have to admit wooden covers were of my least favorite.. well. I've fallen head over heels for ebony covers and this knife is to blame..as well as many of you for posting most excellent pics of most excellent knives..

Great thread!

LUZAcjj.jpg

A few years ago the trads forum area created a 13 congress jack with white covers. I got to check it out on a pass around and it surprised me. When I first looked at it, I thought the blade was a bit too long but it was a super knife for everything I needed, looked classy, and sat in my pocket well. I saw one the other day in the exchange used but someone had already purchased it. It is an excellent knife.

Last edited:
A few years ago the trads forum area created a 13 congress jack with white covers. I got to check it out on a pass around it it surprised me. When I first looked at it, I thought the blade was a bit too long but it was a super knife for everything I needed, looked classy, and sat in my pocket well. I saw one the other day in the exchange used but someone had already purchased it. It is an excellent knife.

The Forum #13 was the one that started it for me. Received in a trade and was very impressed when in hand. Searched for one to carry, as I didnt want to carry the FK, and that led to me finding the ebony as well as one in stag..I agree, great knife I wouldn't have truly appreciated if i hadn't one in hand/pocket.

I've been charmed by this pattern, for sure.

The "Piano Keys"
N7SPhm0.jpg

Stag

I particularly like the extended spring on the secondary.
hyP4jbu.jpg

XS8uW3x.jpg

Back