Your 2020 Year In Review

Dknight16

Gold Member
I spent less than I have in quite a few years, but still way too much according to my wife. We were fortunate to not be seriously impacted by COVID-19. Which is a blessing for sure.

I ended up adding 11 to the collection. My least expensive was a Warthog SAK, and my most expensive was a pretty impractical, but still awesome Microtech Stitch-A.

My EDC routine mostly featured Microtech and Hinderer designs. Work from home opened up my choices and I took advantage of it by carrying larger and less office friendly knives than I normally would.

How about the rest of you BF?

Let's see...

Warcraft Tanto
3V Mini Pendleton

Longer break...
I got CRKT Mossback B&T as a gift.

Then I bought SK-5 Recon Tanto just hours before I found out I'll be laid off at the end of the year...

I don't remember exactly how many knives that I bought in 2020 (a least 6-10 and possibly a dozen) nor the exact cost but it's probably around $2k.

The last 2, which I remember because they were so recently purchased, are a Hinderer Gen 6 Tri-way Spanto and a ZT 0452 CFM390BLU, which cost a little under $800 for both, including tax &/or shipping.

Thinking back as I write this I also bought a Spyderco Nightstick and plain black DLC Yojimbo and a plain satin Yojumbo. Those togerher add around another $450 (I get an OpFocus discount).

Now that you've got me thinking, I'm going to have to take a look at my records to see what the exact tally was.

PS: There are already 2 on my "to buy" list for 2021 -- the Spyderco black Autonomy2 and the Pattadese which are still pending release that will cost be another $320.

Update:

Ok, so I dug into my knife receipts box and pulled out all of my 2020 purchases and I was WAY OFF in my estimate above.

Plugged the data into a calc sheet and it turns out that in 2020, I bought a total of 28 knives (3 Autos, 4 Balis, 10 Fixed and 11 Folders) and spent a total of $5,540.23 on them.

Here's the list:

Autos:
ZT 0610ST
ZT 0650ST
Protech Magic Whiskers Tuxedo BR-1

Balis:
Gutman Cutlery Buffalo Horn
Hom Design Basilisk-R
Kershaw Lucha
MaxAce DMG

Fixed:

Bastinelli-Marcaida Pika
KaBar Stacked Leather Bowie
LionSteel M4 G10
Ontario SP8 Machete
Spyderco Jumpmaster2
Spyderco Lum Tanto FB03
Spyderco Nightstick
Spyderco Pygmy Warrior
Spyderco Serrata
ZT 0100 CPM3V

Folders:

Hinderer Gen 6 XM-24
LionSteel ROK Titanium
Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2 Emerson
Spyderco Byrd Hawbill
Spyderco Kris
Spyderco Native 5 G10
Spyderco Nilakka
Spyderco Watu
Spyderco Yojimbo Black Plain Edge
Spyderco Yojumbo
ZT 0452CFM390BLU

Thing is, I think this was a "light" year for me in terms of buying knives. I've never added them all up but just based on the numbers (with over 330 knives in the collection), the collection could be worth between $30-50K (and probably even more than that) because I'm pretty sure that I've spent more than an average of $100/knife.

Good thing I don't have a wife that I have to worry about.

LOL!! ;):rolleyes::thumbsup:

Last edited:
2020 was the year I rediscovered Spyderco

I met Sal Glesser in 1982 and bought the entire Spyderco catalog at that time (Ummm...a Worker and a Mariner). Once you meet Sal, you never forget him. Anyway., that started my foray into high quality knives. Worked my way through many production companies, then CRK, then customs. After all these years, I "rediscovered" how much I like Spyderco knives and the company in general. Anyway...I sold much of my collection to rekindle my Spyderco romance and I absolutely love it. I enjoy using my Spyderco's just as much as my $1000+ customs.

Sal is THE MAN....even 38 years later he is still the best customer service man I've ever met. Never lost his "drive" in all these years.
Just as enthusiastic as the day I met him in 1982. Always looking out for the customer; supports our military and first responders.....it's a company I'm proud to own.

So this was my 2nd year into knives and everyone was right, I was going to venture into the $400+ knives. I used to carry a $50 kershaw and bumped that to a $150 PM2 wich led to a nice collection of spydercos and couple benchmade. So far this year around 3k...yikes!
-CRK small inkosi pj
-CRK LG SEBENZA 21 pm
-CRK LG inkosi black micarta
-mini bugout Orange
-Manix 2 g10 rex45
-Native lightweight rex45
-2 benchmade hidden canyons-killer sale on these
-Esee 6
-rat 1 (gift to co worker)
-r2D2
-Hinderer xm-18 whanrny
-Hinderer xm-18 spanto
-Chaves ultramar 229
-Leatherman (Xmas gift for nephew)
-hori-hori knife (Xmas gift for mom)

It was a rather odd year (no kidding Captain Obvious). I purchased two of the Longleaf Khukris from the Royal Armoury (one through IMA and one through Atlanta Cutlery) in Nepal and a 1907 Enfield Bayonet. Also a type XVa longsword from a fantastic maker in the Czech Republic and a Laring from Traditional Filipino Weapons. I purchased a sea scorpion from A.G. Russell as a gift. I also gave away a Falkniven F1 as a gift to a graduating senior. I sold nothing from the collection this year.

Used Ultratech, used Spyderco Jess Horn & new Zeiba Heritage slipjoint for me. A Boye folder for the significant-other-in-law :)

In 2020 I realized how much I like tool steel for knives I use. Especially M4. I also bought my most expensive knife to date, a Carothers. Totally worth it.

2020 in review: My first 2 Hinderers (Jurassic and Full-Track), a LionSteel Thrill in orange, a couple of GEC's (Eureka Jack and Possum Skinner), an LT Wright fixed blade, added a couple of Dragonfly's for SE blade swaps, and a few Case knives to round it off. Also, as I review the year I'm reminded of how much I was able to get out and enjoy my knives. That and the fact that due to school being canceled my kids (mostly my son) were able to accompany on adventures that I would have had to otherwise go solo on was the bright side of such an otherwise depressing year.

Oh, and I almost forgot, just picked up a Sebenza 31 as well!

3wrqiRV.jpg

tsAc4R9.jpg

ZCpxLjm.jpg

GlJYpE1.jpg

fZDRkqc.jpg

FY4nYEC.jpg

e5MgfUr.jpg

vBpBj29.jpg

2020 in review: My first 2 Hinderers (Jurassic and Full-Track), a LionSteel Thrill in orange, a couple of GEC's (Eureka Jack and Possum Skinner), an LT Wright fixed blade, added a couple of Dragonfly's for SE blade swaps, and a few Case knives to round it off. Also, as I review the year I'm reminded of how much I was able to get out and enjoy my knives. That and the fact that due to school being canceled my kids (mostly my son) were able to accompany on adventures that I would have had to otherwise go solo on was the bright side of such an otherwise depressing year.

Oh, and I almost forgot, just picked up a Sebenza 31 as well!

3wrqiRV.jpg

tsAc4R9.jpg

ZCpxLjm.jpg

GlJYpE1.jpg

fZDRkqc.jpg

FY4nYEC.jpg

e5MgfUr.jpg

vBpBj29.jpg

I want,
NO, I needs me a Planet Ocean!

Back