Your Base Pack List?

Osprey Kestral 48 pack with whistle on chest strap

Construction grade 30 gallon trash bag, orange.

Map, compass

2 Gatorade bottles, Sawyer mini filter

S59 Shelter. NSN 8465-66-013-5032 (issue Aussie hootchie)
Tyvek grown sheet
Lightweight line and stakes
Marmot Nanowave or North Face Cat's Meow sleeping bag
Thermarest Neoair pad

Bic lighter, Gobspark armegeddon ferro rod.
Dryer lint, Paper bark from water birch

Victorinox Farmer or GEC paring knife. Usually farmer.

Black Diamond Spot headlamp, Olight I3E

First Aid:
Sanitizer
Moleskin
Aspirin/ibuprofen
Antihistamine
Anti B Ointment
Bandaids
Gauze
Duct tape
Bandana
Safety pin

Lightweight snow/sand stake, Toilet paper

Stove: either soda can with stand, MSR Pocket Rocket, or Svea 123R. Usually alcohol stove unless really cold.
Foil wind screen
Trangia 0.8L aluminum pot and handle
Empty soup-on-the-go can with sipping lid
Lexan spoon
Fuel bottle

Marmot Precip rain jacket
Either 1 wool sweater or fleece
1 pair wool socks
If needed (and unless wearing) lightweight wool base layer top and bottom.

Most of the above in ziplocks.

Food?--KV
Food isn't part of the base.

But for food, depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going.

I most often rehydrate food. I don't necessarily buy dehydrated foods meant for backpacking as the prices are ridiculous; however, you can get all kinds of dehydrated food at the grocers. Just take it out of the box, repackage it. If necessary (I find it rarely necessary), cut the instructions of the box and put them in the repackage.

As a general idea, I've packed all of this at one time or another:

Pouches of chicken and tuna.
Uncured hard salami.
Nuts/seeds/roasted chickpeas/etc.
Peanut butter (a little goes a long way - great flavoring in soups and such).
Likely an egg or two (again for soups and such).
Noodles.
Potatoes (au gratin or scalloped).
Long grain/wild rice.
Soup packets.
Couscous.
Grits/oatmeal.
Cheese.
Dried Fruit.
Scallions.
Garlic.
Black pepper.
Coffee (tea bags).
Might have a mini baguette packed away.

I always carry two 1-quart/liter water containers.

Last edited:
Took me awhile to find my note pad, no where near as miminalist as yours:

Big 3 - REI Flash 65 pack, BA Slater UL2 tent, Marmot Trestles Elite 30 mummy bag - these add up to 8lb 13oz

Stratus air pad w/ pump (2 lb) or WT pad (11 oz) - one or the other, depending
Compression sacks (1 or 2) at 3.4 oz each
Rain cover for pack 7 oz
SnoPeak iso stove w/cannister 14oz
Coleman stainless nesting pot/cup w/spoon (maybe 1.5lb? its heavy, but was a gift 25 years ago and I am loath to replace it)
Sawyer squeeze w/ adapter 4oz
Cocoon mummy liner 9oz (haven't used this yet)
poncho liner 1.5 lb
down puffy 11 oz
base layers, top & bottom, for sleeping 1 lb 10 oz
bandana 8 oz (at least one)
knit hat 8 oz?
gloves 8oz?
frogg toggs rain jacket 6 oz
1st aid kit 8 oz
misc kit (bic, multitool, duct tape, art. sinew, needles, fire starter) 2lb 6oz
extra shirt, socks, pants 2lb about, don't always need or take.
compass and map 8oz?
hand sanitizer, TP, tooth brush, toothpaste 1lb

I carry two smart water bottles, 1 L each, 2.2 lbs each

Depending on the hike I don't carry all of the above, and I don't go when the weather is forecast to be below 25. The BA tent cut my tent weight in half, got it second hand, and so far am pleased with it. For light I have cheap headlamps and a small streamlight, I am planning on getting something with a redlight feature soon.

For food I have used the Knoors (sp?) brand of packets available at the dollar store, ramen, rice, peanut butter, pita bread, trail mix, entirely too many snickers, beef jerky, and an apple or orange for at least the first two days.

I am trying alcohol stoves at home, but they seem to take longer to bring water to a boil, not that that matters much.

I have just got back into this last fall and am still shaking the equipment out.

Last edited:
For me the base list is very dependent on factors beyond the consumables.

I know that last week for anything more than an overnight I'm certain most of my insulation would have been synthetic. For sure that would have been Climashield quilt and probably Ptimaloft clothing. On the flipside it would have needed me to be outside England this week to dislodge me from down even if I was out all week.

I have no idea what cooking gear I'd use without other information too, Some of that stuff has become stable such as long handled titanium spoons, and now I use a Moulder Strip it is a fair bet I will use a tiny titanium gas stove that weighs 28g no matter how cold it gets. Pots and cups require more information though and even whimsy plays a part. I can do everything in the excellent Evernew titanium kettle, and sometimes I do. That said I find it hard to resist the attraction of having my Snow Peak H450 double walled titanium cup, so it doesn't take much to tip me over into taking that. If I think I'm likely to be getting water from snow undoubtedly the big Toaks titanium pot comes. From memory I think that's 1.6L. That said, I don't reserve that exclusively for snow melting it's useful for installing irritation modules in others too. When your total pack weights are dramatically reduced by staying current carrying a few potatoes and some cooking oil is hardly much of an impediment. When you whip that out on three and start knocking up something proper with chips [fries] and those around you are eating some synthetic astronaut crap out of a bag or pissing about with rat packs the effect is obvious.

Do I need bug protection? Is a headnet enough? Do I need to go full on bug tent to keep midges out?

Am I with someone else. What kind of mind have they got. Do they have much ability? What kit do they have? Do they know how to use mine? An immediate example that springs to mid there is being out with a bloke that had spent a chilly but not miserable night. He was reluctant to get out of his sleeping bag in the morning. He wormed his way to the front of his nest in his sleeping bag and was brewing something up in a precariously balanced Zebra billy can in front of his prone position. I'd already seen the pot slide twice and him coax it back into position with his spoon. I said to him “I hope that's only a pint of boiling water you're going to get a face full of there 'cos if it is anything else it might really hurt”. For a smart bloke that was a massive oversight and he kicked himself. But what if I hadn't spotted that. What would we have to mitigate the tissue damage between then and hospital. Likewise, it is only occasionally that I feel the need to take benzoin tincture when I'm on my own or with certain others. With other types of people I always have it.

Is a map/ compass and my phone software enough or should I stash a coin size compass somewhere? I'm not taking one of those ever time.

Electronics is another: Lighting, phones, radio, cameras, whatever, what are my power supply needs.

It goes on and on, hats, gloves, do I need a filter or are chlorine dioxide enough. Even the type of tent pegs I take can changes according to the anticipated conditions. The list of variables that can influence the choices of gear I take is quite extensive. I rather like hoarding gear and rummaging around it it to get what I think will be an exact base match for the job. This week I've been playing with a little Berghaus Freeflow 40L that has been big enough because of some of the other choices I made. I've got no idea if that'll still be on wages a month from now.

Multi-Day base weight winter came to 11.76 lbs. Summer 10.31 lbs.

Daypack winter came to 6.28 lbs. Summer 5.86 lbs.

Last edited:
Leghog, thanks for starting this. I love reviewing other people's packing list.

Here is mine for summer backpacking in New England. Party size and distance can vary, as can temperatures. Some of these items may not make sense and if there are questions, I can clarify.

=====
MTNS - CAMP - SUMMER
Assume 50F-90F and rain
Modified 7/18
=====

-----
FOR THE CAR
-----
Dry clothes
Deodorant

-----
HIKING GEAR
-----
Backpack - Pick 1 based on load:
+ Kelty External frame + water bottle holster (5.14, 90L, 5500ci)
+ Small Jannd Pack + water bottle holster (2.10, 43L, 2700 ci)
- Pockets (0.4 each)

1 Bike water bottle
1 3L disposable water bottle (0.2)
- 1 or 2 Nalgene water bottles (0.6)
Water pump (optional)

Sunglasses & hard case
Knee brace
Hiking poles

-----
HIKING ESSENTIALS
-----
Grey fanny pack (trail stuff)
+ MAP
+ BUG DOPE
+ REFILL & CHECK lighter
+ whistle
+ mini-tool
+ sun screen
+ ibuprofen
+ iodine
+ hand sanitizer
+ phone and ziplock
+ knife
- Opinel #9 [2 oz] *
- Mora [5 oz]

Black Emergency Pouch
----
Main compartment
+ DEET (MOVE to fanny pack in summer)
+ CHECK spare toilet paper
+ Emergency ivy
+ Repair kit
- AAA batteries
- duct tape
- Spare hip belt buckles
- heavy thread and straight needle
- spare lighter
+ wound kit
+ 1st aid cheat sheet, notebook and pen

Inner Pocket
+ Power Bar
+ CHECK Imodium/antihistamine/rehydration salts/Lyme antibiotic
+ fabric repair tape and curved upholstery needle
+ DMT sharpening stone

Front Outer Pocket
+ CHECK head lamp (red)
+ moleskin and nail clippers (Luko tape)

Rear Outer Pocket
+ headnet
+ compass

-----
TRAIL CLOTHING - WORN
assumes all of this will get wet
-----
Altimeter watch
Poly T-shirt (0.7)
Convertible pants (0.7)
+ Black Liner shorts, if cold (0.4)
Liner socks
Heavy socks
Light boots
Short gaiters
Cotton cycling hat

-----
TRAIL CLOTHING - PACK
Assumes all of this will get wet.
Packed summit pack or stuff sack.
-----
Outdoor Products pack (0.4)
+ Black stuff sack (0.2)
+ EMS pack (0.12)
DriClime Windshirt (0.11)
Rain jacket (0.15)
+ Rain pants (0.8) (optional)

Wool gloves
Light ski hat

-----
OVERNIGHT CLOTHING - PACK
Assumes this will stay dry.
Packed in compactor bag w/sleeping bag.
-----
+ Zip T-neck (0.9)
+ Heavy wool socks

If warm:
+ Puffball Vest (0.10)
If cold:
+ Exp Wt Zip T-neck if cold (0.10)
+ Free Tech Sweater (0.15)

-----
OVERNIGHT GEAR - PACK
-----
Toiletries Pouch
+ soap & towel (optional)
+ Baggie of wet wipes
+ bottle of Bactine
+ Benzoyl Peroxide
+ toothbrush & paste

Personal Food Bag
+ Bowl
+ spoon
+ mug
+ paracord
+ scrub and soap

VauDe sleeping bag
Guidelite pad (2.0, R 3.8)

Kelty Range Tarp (2.12)
Kelty bivy sack (1.1, optional)
- Ground sheet (optional)

5+ Person Cooking System
+ Svea 123
+ large pot & windscreen
+ Bowls
+ spoons
+ Green mugs
+ 1L large fuel bottle

3/4 Person Cooking System
+ Trangia burner & Mojo stand
+ 2 Liter pot & windscreen
+ Bowl
+ spoon
+ REI mug or small mug
+ 1L large fuel bottle

1/2 Person Cooking System
+ Trangia and mini stand (0.5)
- Batchstovez 2.0 (0.1)
+ GSI pot & windscreen (0.9)
+ 1 Open Country mug (0.1)
- GSI bowl/mug (0.2)
+ spoon
+ bowl
+ 0.5 L fuel bottle

GROUP/WINTER Emergency Kit
+ SAM splint
+ Emberlit stove
+ folding saw
+ tack cloth, spare lighter

Last edited:
For me the base list is very dependent on factors beyond the consumables.

I maintain 3 separate packing lists: summer, spring/fall, & winter. Each list has several optional sections depending on location, duration, weather and group size.

If I didn't have packing lists, I would never get out. The mental work to think this through each and every time is just too much.

I have my old packing lists from the 70s, where base weight did not exist
I carried what I could afford and what would keep me dry and warm
I have all sorts of current gear lists, many are defined by air travel, when I am backpacking in England with a car, traveling to India
But now...
I am preparing my gear list for a six week journey to England
I will be in the field for most of the time, with weekends camping in Youth Hostels so I will have showers, laundry and cooking facilities

My biggest dilemma will be Tent Vs Tarp
(I will start a seperate thread for this whole discussion)

I maintain 3 separate packing lists: summer, spring/fall, & winter. Each list has several optional sections depending on location, duration, weather and group size.

If I didn't have packing lists, I would never get out. The mental work to think this through each and every time is just too much.

This has become my conclusion as well. Spring and Fall are the most difficult because temps and weather conditions are a little more erratic and temps can vary significantly. I have a trip coming up in April when I get home. It's only 105 miles, but the weather will likely make me pack a little heavier than I want. My base weight hovers between 12.5 and 15.5 pounds depending on season and shelter system (either hammock or tent).

ROCK6

.... I will use a tiny titanium gas stove that weighs 28g

And I have two of those comming my way from China as we speak....

I was going to suggest this very same item to the OP when he mentioned the MSR Pocket Rocket. These stoves from BRS (if anyone wants to search for them in the usual suspects) are lighter and pack smaller. No rigid plastic case but a cloth bag instead. Same product, many maaaaaaaaaaany different sellers. It is a matter of searching for the best price.

Pair that with a titanium pot (I carry 1,3l one from TOAKS but you could go smaller if you go solo or just want to boil some what to rehidrate food) and long handled spoon/fork and you get a light cooking setup.

Mikel

Last edited:
stoves from BRS

I've been using one around the house to try it out before I take it on the trail--so far seems to work well and no sign of fatigue or failure as has been occasionally reported, but I'm boiling up maybe two cups maximum. Don't think you could do much simmering or proper cooking with this thing, though.

....Don't think you could do much simmering or proper cooking with this thing, though.

For melting snow, brew wichever poision you preffer, making noodles or boilng water for freeze dried packages is more than enough.

Actually for melting snow I would rather use a bigger pot and canister detached stove (for stability, your choice of gas or LPG fuel) but in a pinch, it would do. I don't really think about gourmet cooking when I am climbing so is enough for me

I have tried and my BSR stove, BIC ligther, mid sized cannister and foldable spoon and fork fit nicely into the 1300ml TOAKS pot. Now I just need to source some material to make a cozy for it. The 3D mesh bag that comes with the TOAKS pot does not really work as a cozy.

Mikel

Back