"Your" Best Flipper?

I don’t have many flippers, but this Boker Kihon is my best one.
48371985_2173667609555874_8240556590361477120_o.jpg

I do not care for liner locks, so I only own one-a Kershaw Chive. My loss because there goes about half the folder market.

Best overall action for a flipper: Koenig Arius
Best front flipper: Burger EXK Plus
Runners-up: North Arms Skaha II, Holt Specter, Shiro F3R, Sander Barbus, Shiro HatiOn Lite, Rod Olson M9 Custom
o19HpzC.jpg

2zstlur.jpg

Spyderco Southard is my only flipper so it gets the nod.

CE6DABD7-EA1A-4135-B6F5-6C52DCDDF701.jpeg

Sorry for the low quality pic I cropped it from a larger pic.

I assume balisongs don't count? :D

The Keen is the best flipper I have for sure. The Boker tuxedo kwaiken I have is a close second. MD Gent is third.

These are all fairly close in the category of what I would consider the "best" of my flippers. This includes the relatively cheap Protech Cambria and CRKT Foresight at the top of the photo.

ni3Rp6h.jpg

The Thorburn L51 is still king tho.

Last edited:
-Hands down best I’ve got or ever tried is my Smock SK23! (Waiting for Spyderco’s version...)
-Best big company production knife, Spyderco Domino, ZT 452 not far behind (it’s smoother overall but although I love the strong detent, it’s just quite right with the position of the flipper tab for me).
-Brous Bionic Xl gets honourable mention. The flipping action is just about perfect but I felt the need to mod the flipper tab to make it smaller and add a finger choil at the same time. (Clip was terrible switching to left carry).
-My SteelWill Cutjack is great right handed but alas only o.k. Lefthanded. I guess the way pressure gets applied to the fairly flexible handle messes up the lock bar pressure making the action far less reliable.

Last edited:
Honestly, the best I've handled is probably just a fluke of the QC gods happening to bless my knife*, but a Stedemon ZKC D-01 I owned for a couple years had the absolute best and smoothest drop-shut / fly-open action of any knife I have handled in any price range.

36288182704_519f798e79_o.jpg

* I've handled about a half dozen other Stedemons, and, while all were well-built, none of them were quite like this one.

That said, my current best flipper is also a Stedemon, although it's just generally on par with the flipping action of the better ZTs I have had. (I.E. - very good, but nothing worth going on and on about)

46241226022_002445f3a2_o.jpg

I just picked up my second flipper yesterday. So now my two flippers are the Advocate and a Hinderer. They are both good enough for me.

Of the folders that I have, the Darrel Ralph Dominator, running on his Maxx Glide Pivot System, is my favorite. It's incredibly smooth for the large knife that it is.
upload_2018-12-18_21-2-50.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-18_20-55-28.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-18_20-55-28.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 1
Best flippers I have are a Freeman 451, buck Marksman and a Valence Gamma midtech

I went through the whole list expecting to see at least one Marksman. Glad I wasn’t wrong. I would think they’d be a top contender just because of the design itself. No detent should equal a much smoother deployment. That model is definitely getting nearer to the top of my “To Buy” list.

Hoback Kwaiback, fires out like a rocket and drops shut. Also equally as good is my Zieba S5. Just incredible action.

Back