"Your" Best Flipper?

i am waiting for a massdrop gent to arrive but for the moment I have to say I like my Kershaw atmos à lot
IMO the best flipping action I have experimented so far and that has surprised me a lot from a budget knife

Second will be my ZT0350, but as it is a assisted I guess it may be kind of out of the scope of the OP

So I will have to give the second place to my 0801blk... great action and I like the blade shape/grind on this one.

I just got a massdrop gent and the first impression is great
Great right out of the box... I will have to test it some time but it can rank high in the “best flipper list”

6p3nvK.jpg

mGTT9M.jpg

Bestech Mini Flipper

This one is probably my favorite, after a little break-in and some tweaking the action is perfect.

k1dkLV6.jpg

Very nice custom scale. I just picked up a domino and cant get this thing to flip decent for the life of me even after taking it down, cleaning thoroughly, and Relubing. To my understanding the domino is suppose to flip great being on bearings. I have played with the pivot plenty also so not sure why i cant get that bearing flipper action out of it. The knife is awesome otherwise and i really want to make it work but It bothers me so much im considering trading it off.

I have quite a few production flippers. Id say my best are the keen, 0450, gent, crux, bestechs, civivi (or anything made by WE like the massdrop collabs), Kizers, kershaw atmos, almost anything on bearings really with a decent detent (especially ceramic bearings.. sooo smooth) as they are all pretty good but I think the keen takes the cake. Surprisingly the civivi statera is really good also and the best budget flipper I own. Im sure theres some i own that im forgetting about at the moment. I wont buy flippers on washers anymore after owning a few. I just dont care for the action unless theres some amazing model i dont know about. Theres just too many great flippers out there so If i have to wrist flick its a pass.

Last edited:
It's a 3 way tie for smoothness but the ZT snaps out the quickest. The Keen and the Bestech feels more hydraulic like on closing.
hxs54FX.jpg

It's a 3 way tie for smoothness but the ZT snaps out the quickest. The Keen and the Bestech feels more hydraulic like on closing.
hxs54FX.jpg

Indeed that is a tough call and I agree with the hydraulic feel of the keen. Thats a Good way of describing it. It is such a good piece imo for a production knife and other companies need to take note of what a $150 knife can be as It puts much more expensive pieces to shame.

I have owned both versions of the 0450. Sent my scales out for ano and after cleaning and relube the action improved considerably over the already great action... It was kind of shocking actually and flips just amazing now.

I own several g10 bestechs and do love them for the price point but havent stepped up to their ti models yet. I might just have to as im pretty impressed with their budget offerings.

Last edited:
My personal favourites are the:

-Shirogorov F3 (F3R) for a titanium liner lock flipper
-Shirogorov 95 for a titanium frame lock flipper
-Grimsmo Norseman for a unique blade shaped titanium frame lock flipper

Reasons behind the above choices:

Smooth, quick and reliable flipper deployment

Smooth unlocking action (they drop shut with minimal effort and suffer from no lock stick)

Excellent cutting ability and very nice blade steels used

Cons:

Pricey
Shiros have very early lockup (this may bother some)
Shiro proprietary tool recommended to open Shiros without marring hardware

Honourable mentions
Olamic Wayfarer 247
Curtiss F3 Medium

Also great options with great action and build quality

Very nice custom scale. I just picked up a domino and cant get this thing to flip decent for the life of me even after taking it down, cleaning thoroughly, and Relubing. To my understanding the domino is suppose to flip great being on bearings. I have played with the pivot plenty also so not sure why i cant get that bearing flipper action out of it. The knife is awesome otherwise and i really want to make it work but It bothers me so much im considering trading it off.
The washers are probably cupped. You need to have flat washers. You might be able to find someone selling replacement washers but see if spyderco will fix it via warranty. It happens because the washers are so thin. They don't make bearing flippers like that anymore.

The washers are probably cupped. You need to have flat washers. You might be able to find someone selling replacement washers but see if spyderco will fix it via warranty. It happens because the washers are so thin. They don't make bearing flippers like that anymore.

The washers were definitely not flat when I had them out and I even took it apart again and flipped them over to try that also. I did push down on them to try and flatten them out also with my thumb but that didn't do much but That makes a lot of sense because the bearing needs a flat surface to ride on so you're probably right. They are very thin washers so I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement before sending it in. I appreciate the suggestion.

These are my favorites. The A5 on Double IBKS probably flips the hardest. Burger is the best front flipper I’ve handled. Rassenti makes the best sounds. L51 Compact has best fall shut action. If I could only keep one, it’d probably be the Neo.

27xfalu.jpg

The washers were definitely not flat when I had them out and I even took it apart again and flipped them over to try that also. I did push down on them to try and flatten them out also with my thumb but that didn't do much but That makes a lot of sense because the bearing needs a flat surface to ride on so you're probably right. They are very thin washers so I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement before sending it in. I appreciate the suggestion.

I never had that problem with mine, but according to the box it was made in May 2016. IIRC, the problem was with the earlier ones made in '14 or '15. I agree, I'd send it to Spyderco and see if they can dial the action in.

And if you do send it to Spyderco, let us know the result. :thumbsup:

Does the Domino have bearings in a polymer cage like the Southard?

I don’t know how, but one of the bearing cages in my Southard swelled and wouldn’t spin freely in its pocket. I relieved it a bit and it started flipping great again, in spite of cupped washers.

And if you do send it to Spyderco, let us know the result. :thumbsup:

Does the Domino have bearings in a polymer cage like the Southard?

I don’t know how, but one of the bearing cages in my Southard swelled and wouldn’t spin freely in its pocket. I relieved it a bit and it started flipping great again, in spite of cupped washers.
I never had that problem with mine, but according to the box it was made in May 2016. IIRC, the problem was with the earlier ones made in '14 or '15. I agree, I'd send it to Spyderco and see if they can dial the action in.

I do have the box so i can check the date code.

Its does have the polymer cage. The bearings fit tight in the scales. It does spin with the blade when i look down in there but i feel like its too tight in the scale.

I really like the knife otherwise and will get it working right one way or another and will post an update. I have a few things to try out now so thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Back