Your best guess,please ! Ides of March contest

redshanks said:
I am a man of honor, I'll live with my pick of $523.99. Maybe Toby will feel sorry for me and still bid the same amount on the knife set.

relodr36, since I don't have even a prayer of winning the book, will you do me a favor and see if the book lists a value for a Keen Kutter Spirit of St. Louis 3-blade stockman?

Keen Kutter Spirit of St.Louis -mfd. by Schrade Cutlery - 4" stock knife,serial numbered,black saw-cut Staglon handle,brass bound,3 nickel-silver shields.Quantity - 12,000,price $25,1974. 1995 Value $45 .
Has a B&W picture,if you need it.
Ron

You guys all bid too high. THe seller is really breathing heavy awaiting one of you big spenders to bid it up so you can win the book.

:D
I wish the winner the best. Great little contest.
TTYL
LArry

$375.00 is my guess, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it bid way higher. I wonder if there's a COA?

woodsbum said:
$375.00 is my guess, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it bid way higher. I wonder if there's a COA?

Woodsbum,
You should query the seller on that.

I asked the seller this:
Hi,
Do these knives also have individual boxes and paper enclosures?
Are the tang stamps normal or do they have a special tang stamp?
What is stamped on the 165,specifically?

A very nice set!
Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,
These knives were purchased 40-45 years ago just as they are sealed in the case. No boxes or papers were with it. As far as the tang stamp on the 165, it just simply states- Schrade Walden 165 if there is anything on the other side I don't know, and unfortunatly I will not open the case. I appreciate your interest and hope that I have answered your questions. Have a great evening
. Sincerely,
Rochelle

The number of entries is now at 18,ranging from Larry's $100,to Redshanks $523.99.
Ron

It won't go that high without the boxes and papers. The biggest problem for the seller is he doesn't have the word "Schrade" in the title of his listing. A prospective buyer would have to search for "Old Timers" to find it. The auction also ends Sunday afternoon, which is not a day and time and that seems to get the highest prices.

I have a feeling the set of knives will go for less than most are guessing unless this topic generates wider interest and exposure than it normally would have had. It will be interesting to see what happens.

redshanks said:
It won't go that high without the boxes and papers. The biggest problem for the seller is he doesn't have the word "Schrade" in the title of his listing. A prospective buyer would have to search for "Old Timers" to find it. The auction also ends Sunday afternoon, which is not a day and time and that seems to get the highest prices.

I have a feeling the set of knives will go for less than most are guessing unless this topic generates wider interest and exposure than it normally would have had. It will be interesting to see what happens.

If the search is set for titles and descriptions,it'll be picked up as Schrade Walden is in the description.
I agree,Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to close an auction.However,we might have a blizzard in the north and heavy downpours in the south,and that would keep some people inside.
Personally,I think Sunday evening is the prime time to close auctions.
Ron

Just to say again this is a nice gesture, Ron. It is such a "Schrade Forum" kinda thing to do. It is a good reference book, guys. Plenty of information on Schrades and others.

I'm sticking with my bid of 250

Phil

By now I'm thinking everyone has looked up this set and knows what it is and when it was made. Walden is pre mid '73. Here is a set shown by Belknap in their 1974 catalog, but the art is of an earlier version of the same display. Possibly circa '68. Notice that the eBay display has the later issue sheaths. The item number is 68OTA.

Codger

I've never seen the sheath pattern on the Hunter before.How long was it around.It's great when you can learn from something as simple as a contest.Got to love this forum.I guess I should have said Folding Hunter.Arnold

The illustrations of that sheath appeared in 1965. Thereafter for several years, there was only a notation "w/sheath". When sheaths ware shown again, they were the pouch type. Until we see something definative, we have to assume that they were produced to match the 15OT waffle tooled sheath, and changed when they did. Anyone got a better idea?

Codger

Edit: Here is a closeup of the sheath MIB (down the page)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352239&page=3&highlight=165OT

Do a mouse-over/save as.. and save it to your picture files.
Codger

PS- That is my NIB SW 165OT now.:D

Hey.....

Who's the guy that bid enough to be the current leader???? :D

This is gonna be fun to watch now, doggone it.

Bill

textoothpk said:
Just to say again this is a nice gesture, Ron. It is such a "Schrade Forum" kinda thing to do. It is a good reference book, guys. Plenty of information on Schrades and others.

I'm sticking with my bid of 250

Phil

Phil,
Thanks!
A few months back,I was a newcomer to this forum and was lucky enough to win Geobar's contest for a new Schrade Honesteel! I figure this is just a very small payback for that and for all the info and new friends this forum has provided.
The book's estimated values are out-of-date but it's a good reference to the early commemoratives.

Since several members already indicated their intention to bid on the item,I assume the current leader will understand if some members also enter bids before the ad closes.
My tally is 20 bids so far in the contest.
Ron
Ron

Back