Your camping gear setup

Getting ready to do some summer camping, though it would be interesting to see other peoples setup's.

Recently switched to an ez up tent matched up with cheap big 5 pop ups. No more tent poles for me and enough room to stand and put the dog kennel in the tent. I can put it up in a couple of minutes by myself.

IMG_20200720_120949832~2.jpg

I ownly own two tents. A three people (Ferrino Stardust) and two people (Camp Minima SL). I am more into climbing than camping... so I guess any of mine would be in the small side for everyone else. I do own a camper though... so I don't pitch tents too often.

Mikel

Kodiak canvas tent. 10x10 floor with 6’9” height. A blessing for me at 6’5”
Sets up pretty quick, very wind resistant. My wife and I use cots and sleeping pads. Mr Heater for the chilly weather. Nice and cozy.
Got rid of the Coleman stove and bought a nicer, two burner stand up stove. Much better.
Still need to get a pop up canopy.

Last edited:
Opposite of the big camping tents, but the only "camping" I do is while backpacking.
They don't have much room, particularly with a mesh inner for when the bugs are out, but I've been using a pair of 'mids. They're strictly for sleeping in, so the lack of space rarely bothers me. I'm still sometimes tempted by a larger tent, though!
My current "tent" for warm weather in the Southeast with lots of bugs and rain, is a MLD Solomid XL...
pHGpwha.jpg

..which doubles as my bomb shelter for high winds and/or high altitude(but with a bathtub floor and/or bivy), since 40mph wind doesn't begin to phase it.
dFMVzJU.jpg

My minimalist(~11oz with floor and stakes!) shelter for cooler weather, which also made it out to UT and CO early this year, is a little ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp a friend gave me. Turns out it can weather storms quite well with the opening pitched toward a cliff, or big tree or rock, especially if the windward side is staked directly to the ground. It's an interesting shelter-even bighorn sheep think so...
S1Obvhj.jpg

Imk1oSj.jpg

that EZ UP shelter/cube is nice, but looks like it would be bulky and pretty heavy at 18# for just the tent cube alone. It's also is pretty expensive. Looks like I will keep using my old Eureka Outfitter 6 man tent. Takes a bit of time to set up, but it's roomy and sturdy.

For 1 person, I currently use a Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2. If 2 people, we use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 Platinum. (Both backpacking ultralight tents) If car camping and I want to stand up, an REI Kingdom Dome 4.

Last edited:
Back