Your COVID19 responses (projects you’re doing), let’s see ‘em, and mine (86 splitback whittler mod)

I've had this 1 3/4# hatchet laying on my bench for several years, couldn't find the handle I wanted until last year I found this NOS 18" handle. Finally got around to hanging it.
Wedge was starting to split, i let it rest 3 days the cut the wedge down to about 1/2" above the haft then put the mallet to it one more time. It went in another 1/4" or so before it mushroomed. Sawed that off, sanded it and done, got it sharpened today, ready to work.
M5uXPkz.jpg

RoW2JLh.jpg

PyBFHKO.jpg

1SKRfjA.jpg

QOlzAbK.jpg

First wood turning project of 2020 in my little outside shed.
I had a mahogany and an ambrosia maple blank
I chose the ambrosia today .

tNS0oc5l.jpg

First let's sharpen my pencils lol

WB3E9I4l.jpg

Prepare the blank to mount on the lathe

ilOYGhul.jpg

asqykV1l.jpg

Turning the bottom and the foot for the chuck to hold the piece once reversed

aEIeEPpl.jpg

Now the blank is flipped and secured with the the chuck jaws on the foot that wast turned earlier

lWYX3WEl.jpg

Turning the inside

4iR3twWl.jpg

Reversed once again on this homemade jig to finish the foot ( a good turning should reveal no signs as to how the piece was attached to the lathe :) )

0x8ygpgl.jpg

Puc2O7Ql.jpg

First coat of watco tung oil. I will apply a couple more, wait a few days to fully dry and the buff and wax the bowl.
( no pic today of the final results )

QIirWP1.jpg

aD74MNz.jpg

7RyAi2N.jpg

CelloDan CelloDan That's Super Bowl:cool::D Very nice looking striped wood and beautiful workmanship, you are lucky to have the skill and the eye for it.

Regards, Will

Thank you Will for the kind words.
I find wood turning therapeutic and it did helped me yesterday unplug and not think too much about everything that's going on.
Best :thumbsup::)
Dan

I'm way out-classed here. I'll take my Robinson to the lounge.
Well, now I've started-
I've had the one with the lanyard hole a long time. Impressively hard steel and a cool place to get in a little serration without spoiling the main edge. I just saw one almost exactly like it on the bay, with a fishing scene etch on it.
The three-rivet one never interested my much; the serration was on the main edge for about a third of the length back from the point. It's been getting ignoble use on the workbench.
Turns out it isn't even a dual edge, it's a steak knife. So anyway, I took my auto body file to it and made a plain main edge all the way. Impressively hard steel. Have to drill a lanyard hole.
OzcAuyO.jpg

tNS0oc5l.jpg

WB3E9I4l.jpg

ilOYGhul.jpg

asqykV1l.jpg

aEIeEPpl.jpg

Now the blank is flipped and secured with the the chuck jaws on the foot that wast turned earlier

lWYX3WEl.jpg

Turning the inside

4iR3twWl.jpg

Reversed once again on this homemade jig to finish the foot ( a good turning should reveal no signs as to how the piece was attached to the lathe :) )

0x8ygpgl.jpg

Puc2O7Ql.jpg

First coat of watco tung oil. I will apply a couple more, wait a few days to fully dry and the buff and wax the bowl.

QIirWP1.jpg

aD74MNz.jpg

7RyAi2N.jpg

Great work.

Some great stuff going on. :thumbsup:

Still locked down here in Spain & at least another three weeks planned but getting on with lots of projects considering I'm in an apartment & the balcony is the only workspace at the moment.
This lockdown has highlighted how being a horder has it's advantages, some friends are bored, I think I could work on stuff for over a year, not kidding.

This is an Olive log that was firewood, I picked it up to chop on if I needed to use a hatchet on the balcony, looked at it the other day & just started whittling taking the bark off.......

bixeGPv.jpg

Then it got interesting & decided I can always find another chopping log when this is over.......
A long way to go, this is just the start & this is going to take a long time with what I have in mind. ;)

uitQrG3.jpg

tNS0oc5l.jpg

WB3E9I4l.jpg

ilOYGhul.jpg

asqykV1l.jpg

aEIeEPpl.jpg

lWYX3WEl.jpg

Turning the inside

4iR3twWl.jpg

0x8ygpgl.jpg

Puc2O7Ql.jpg

QIirWP1.jpg

aD74MNz.jpg

7RyAi2N.jpg
Absolutely beautiful work, Dan! You have a great skill there!:thumbsup:

Back