"Your" custom kukri sheaths

shortwinger

Gold Member
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to make a few custom sheaths for my kukris and wanted to see some of the more inovative ones you guys are using. How about showing off some of your custom kukri sheaths and carry systems that go along with your favorite kukri?

Of particular interest (besides the pics) would be the pros and cons of each one.

Thanks,
Bill

I don't have any pics of mine, but fitting a khuk is a bit of trial and error depending on what you want.

My first sheath was a straight up and down carry with a fast draw opening. The weight of the knife and the fit of the leather kept it in place. It was designed to be worn on my right (as I'm right handed when it comes to knives) and drawn by pulling up and forward. It works pretty well.

I carry my M43 at a 45 degree angle on my weakside with a cross draw rig.

I'm currently designing a rig for my Tirtha Bowie. I think I want to make it a hybrid that can be worn over the shoulder strong side (think something like the holsters I've seen for WWII tank operators to carry their 1911, except it would be drawn "dagger style" and not cross) and something that can be adapted to a 45 degree strong side small of the back draw. I plan on using some D rings and snap on straps to make it work.

I would say the biggest draw back to a custom sheath is that it is just that...custom. The more you specify how it is to be worn, the less it can be pressed into another style of carry without modification.

The best part is that you end up with something of your own. Khuks are very personal, and I take a lot of pride in my ugly yet rugged sheaths to carry them.

hi Bill -- I am having a leather sheath custom fit made for my Falcata which is not a Khukuris but i figure if it comes out good and i really like the way it functions - then i will have one made for my CAK. -

I wasn't to keen on the idea of sending it out to someone but the guy had really good recommendations from several people on Bladeforums, and after several emails i was ok with it.

Although i might like the sheath it comes with the CAK -- so far i only have HI sword type blades I like the way the HI sheathes look but sometimes the long blades are a bit hard to draw or sheath.

I am only heaving one made for ease of carry as well as ease of draw

I have an HI bowie that came with a custom sheath that works great (horizontal behind the back draw)

i sent it off the Falcata a couple weeks ago and he works the leather on weekends so it will be at least another couple of weeks or so before i can post pics

I would be interested in seeing your ideas - are these just for yourself or do you do make sheaths for other people / friends / customers as well ?

thanks -
Eric

Hello,
I posted about a week ago a new sheath I made for my Tamang, it was the first one I made, and I really like the way it came out. I actually just finished another one for my 15" AK which I will post tonight. Just a basic hanging style sheath with a removable shackle between the belt loop and the sheath, I like the way the shackle gives the sheath free movement , it does not bind on my leg when I bend or kneel, I can remove it to lash to a back pack or use a baldric style strap and such. Here are a couple of pics.
DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

Pugs, nice sheath brother. It's fun to make them yourself.

Bill, I'm in the process of finishing one for my M-43 right now. I'll try to get a photo of some sort up. It's just a mix of design ideas I've stolen from others:). Take care.

I'm planning on building myown holster becase a)I don;t want to destroy the original piece and b) so I can have something with a faster draw. I've got some ideas, but I'm going to keep quiet untill It's done to make sure it works. I promise pics when it is done!

This is a work in progress. I still need to finish the edges and coat it with Saddle Butter. But I tried it out while trimming some palms and loved the way it hung from my belt. It was copied from a Farm Knife sheath a member posted. It's like Pugs sheath also. I wasn't sure how the large shackle would work, but it really works great. I would try this sort of set up if you never have. I'll post a complete write-up when I'm finished. Take care.

M-43Sheath001.jpg

Nice work John. What is your feeling about the quick draw slit? Why not just make the sheath wide all the way up to the top?

My issue with this slit or opening is that as you went through the bush or even in a desert, you would be getting debris in the opening. Especially in the form of dust in a desert environment. This would begin to be very abrasive and scratch the blade. It would also allow moisture in to a much higher degree than a closed sheath.

I think it would also allow you to remove any sort of closure or retention strap.

I like all your carry options! I love the dangler.

Bill
Virginia

jdk1 that looks sweet, nothing wrong with taking here and there and making it yours. You have to love the shackle, it gives full free motion to the sheath and just balances it right. this style sheath is just pure functionality, that's why I did mine, it is secure, it moves with you and it can be set for many ways to carry, and just plain works. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Great job man.

I like the ones pugs75 and jdk1 made quite a bit. I have been thinking of making one very similar to jdk1's but eliminating the shackle entirely and replacing it with a thong connected to the baldric rings.

jdk1 that looks sweet, nothing wrong with taking here and there and making it yours. You have to love the shackle, it gives full free motion to the sheath and just balances it right. this style sheath is just pure functionality, that's why I did mine, it is secure, it moves with you and it can be set for many ways to carry, and just plain works. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Great job man.

Where do you guys get the shackles from? And what diameter are they?
Also I see the sheaths posted here don;t use rivets. Do you feel they are sturdy without them?

Thanks.

well damn... the idea I was was not exactly but very very similar to what jdk1 posted... enough so tghat I will have to say I didn't have an original idea. I'll still post pics when its done, but in short he's almost on the same path I was on.

I've also made a similar sheath for a crash ax, so I figured it would work with the Kukri as well. It works EXCELLANT for that, so I have high hopes for the Kukri as well. I don't live in a desert enviroment so I don't have to worry about the sand causing wear on the blade. That being said, I will say that "a way in is a way out" - A tightly closed sheath, once it has moisture, RETAINS it... too much. Ive seen alot of rusted knives and guns because they've been left in holsters and sheaths too long and got moisture in them. The slit would allow it to breath some, and dry out quicker, I would think. Likewise, I think brush could be knocked out of this sheath quicker, and brush to be pretty unlikely to mar the blade.

Admitedtly, I'm only an amatuer at best at making sheaths/holsters, so perhaps I'm not the greatest authority, and I can only base my opinions on my personal experience. Perhaps someone who's made a bunch more sheaths could chime in with thier thoughts?

Last edited:
Nice sheaths, Keep up the good work

Good looking piece cpl... wow, I really was retreading well walked ground in my thoguhts for a sheath! I see you;ve got yours set up for a shoulder style carry vs a belt carry - hos is teh weight like that? manageble? looks like you did some very nice work there!

Back