Your Dad's Knife

My Dad was a car dealer but always carried a Victorinox classic, so i carried a SAK of some kind for years. Mom gave me the last one he carried when he passed on.

My Dad had several knives, mostly Bucks if I'm remembering correctly. When he passed away a few years ago my brothers split up his hunting knives. The only one I took was a NIB Buck Stockman from the 70's. I'm gonna have to start carrying that one of these days.

My old man has carried a Buck 110 for over 40 years. Sometimes it was a real Buck, sometimes a Craftsman (because he could take it back to Sears for a new one if he broke it), but it was always that familiar folding hunter pattern. I think he likes the robust build and relatively low cost. On top of that, he was a big biker back in the day. The 110 was the biker knife of choice.

I've bought him 3 o 4 for gifts over the years. When I started dabbling in leather bending, one of my first projects was to make him a sheath. I remember as a kid all of his work jeans had a familiar white wear spot where the 110 fell in his front pocket. I made him a sheath 12 or 13 years ago, and he's been carrying the 110 on his hip instead of his pocket ever since.

I have a few 110/112s. I like them very much but prefer a more modern folder for a work knife. Even at that, the 110 is a proven design that my dad has used and relied on almost his entire working carrier.

My dad is 78, and the knife that lives on his workbench is a Herter's Improved Bowie that I believe he inherited from his father. It has been sharpened so many times that there's not much indication of the original blade shape, and there is an awful lot of wear on both the blade and handle, but that's a sign of a knife that's been used as it ought to be. He doesn't get my interest in having many knives when that one blade has served him well his whole life, but so it goes.

This Ulster slippie was carried by my grandfather till he passed in '78. My father then carried it till he passed in '09. I carry it some at home, but never away from home. My son is 11 now and it'll be his one day.

Js2z1hP.jpg

My Father never really carries a knife around when he's in the city or going to work, as a banker. But when he was working on the ranch he would carry a nifty little stag handled lockback folder with PAYNE etched to the tang - I'm told it was made by a fellow near Boerne, Texas. He actually gave me an identical folder from the same maker when I was in middle school. When hunting he usually carries a Cutco serrated fixed blade and a Kershaw Blur I bought for him when he lost the stag handled lockback (I also had to buy him another Blur when he lost the original one...).

I picked up my addiction from my Opa (grandfather) when he gave me a nearly worn out Imperial Texas Jack at the age of 4. As a farmer/rancher he always carries some kind of slipjoint made by Case, KaBar, Camillus, Schrade/Old Timer/Imperial/Frontier, Chinese knock-off or the like. I rarely see him with a fixed blade unless it is a vintage Old Hickory butcher knife or an old, unmarked hunting knife he got for Christmas during the depression (he told me it was originally a dagger that he ground down into a clip-point). He likes collecting knives but he's an old German and would never let himself spend much on one, particularly since he grew up being able to buy a new Schrade Walden for $10 or less. I am certain he just bought whatever looked best on the counter at the feedstore. Unlike my Father, Opa never lost the Spyderco Native I bought him some years ago - in fact he calls it his "Sunday knife."

My dad’s knife was once my knife. I got a buck 110 for my bar mitzvah which he promptly stole. The only other knives I’ve seen him owning is an Opinel, a Douk Douk and his oldest knife which was some type of old SAK I think he had since before I was born.

5B9BDE49-3F4B-4420-9F5C-F3257C85B57D.jpeg 8EFE1399-7158-46CE-93AF-839D5E0BDA2E.jpeg My dad was a physician as well as a hunter and fisherman. He always had a pocket knife as did his dad. One of the earlier ones was a German lobster. It was replaced with a SAK Executive which was stainless. He tied his own flies and made his own poles.
A Western bird and trout sheath knife was an early fish and game processing tool. It disappeared when he got a Puma folder. You can see from the photo how much he sharpened it (lower knife for reference).

My dad ALWAYS has a knife on him! Ever since i was little he always carried the 18 pattern Case medium stockman. I got him a Benchmade mini grip and now he carries both. Uses the Benchmade more now for various things.

I notice a few of you mentioning Grandparents my Grandpa carried a more traditional jack knife all the time. He was a heavy equipment operator he did that work to support his farming habit. When he got older he switched to the free folder you get with a set of Cutco knives that or a stockman that he inherited from my great uncle.

When I was a little kid my dad carried an original Gerber MP, an old camo mini Maglite he picked up from a px at some point, and a handkerchief in his back pocket.
Now he carries a Victorinox tinker and the leatherman Mp600 I recently bought him for Christmas.
He still only carries them for work though because when he's off he just mostly just watches TV since he has me around to to the tool handling when I'm not working :D

My grandfather just carried a Victorinox classic which he would wear out then replace.
His last one was to worn for me so I put it in some hot water to remove the scales and put them on a like new one I had.
I don't know where his love of the classic came from, but there's really no need to question it.

My father was a sous chef and I "inherited" all of his cooking knives, which were all old fashioned high carbon steel blades (a couple made by Solingen and most very long) that rust, stain and dull quickly but can be easily resharpened to a razor's edge. My father taught me how to hand sharpen knives but he still did it far better than I ever have.

For non-professional use, he only had a couple of pocket knives (make unknown); one that he sharpened so much that the blade is merely a nub. I kept them along w/a folding fishing knife that he used to gut and scale fish (usually bass) that he caught. I still use the cooking knives and the folding fishing knife in the kitchen; I don't fish. I just keep the other folders for their sentimental value.

Last edited:
Dad carried a Buck 110 around for a long time, until he switched over to one of the first Spydercos that ever hit the market. I remember that he didn't like sharpening a serrated edge, so he ground it off to a plain edge. Out on hunting trips and in his plane his favorite bring-along was a custom clip point done for him by Virgil England. Boy, do I like that knife....

While my Dad has had a little bit of everything, his favorite one to carry was and still is a Spyderco Military. He loved that thing, especially because it was set up for lefties.

My dad always had a Case version of the BSA knife in the 60s and 70s. Then he added a two-bladed folding hunter. He had a Case version when I was really young, but the bought a Chicago Cutlery version in Tampa in the mid 70s when something happened to the Case that I can't remember at the moment...may have fallen out of the boat and if so it was likely my fault... Then later on in the mid 80s I bought him an Old Timer 25OT that I have today since he passed in 2012. No idea what ever happened to the BSA knife. I wish I had it, I have a lot of memories of it from my childhood.

This is the knife that I think of when I think of dad, probably because he had it on him when we went camping. Later in life he would carry a SAK with entirely too many tools on it. He passed away and my son quickly claimed that knife.

wuRYSCJ.jpg

He sometimes carried a Case or Buck med. stockman type. Buck Squire was probably his favorite. He carried a mother of pearl Kershaw also.

Kinda the other way around as I pretty much got into knives on my own. Anything my dad knows about knives he learned from me. Most of his have the points broken off from being used as screwdrivers and prybars as he seems to think knives are a general all-in-one and the guy can barely handle one without bleeding all over whatever's in front of him. This is what he currently carries now when he does carry one. I'm in possession of it at the moment as he wanted me to sharpen it. Probably the first time he's ever had one sharpened.

RlVy4CZ.jpg

He's got an old school delica, full serrations/ built in plastic clip, and a sak. The only one he carries anymore is the tiny Spyderco bug (that I got him) on his keys.

Mine carried a Buck stockman for many years as his EDC. Always a 110 when hunting. Now he carries a Rat II I got him, still has the stockman though. Still the 110 when hunting. That thing has opened up a hell of a lot of whitetails and a couple elk. When I show him one of my new knives, he kinda scoffs because he knows I paid way more for it than is necessary for something that cuts.

Back