Your Dad's Knife

...I was a scared young boy of 5 when I asked him why He had to do it and he explained to me how important it was to the family to get the child's body back so they could grieve and that he was the only one around that could do it. A couple of those family's sent Christmas cards for years thanking him for what he had did for them and eventually he put together a Search and rescue plan for the town and state to traine officers and Firemen in underwater recovery Free of charge. If you were flying over Natick Mass on the day of his funeral you would have thought a president was getting laid to rest with a funeral procession of hundreds of cars weaving threw the town with the Hurst stopping at the War Memorial park that he helped design, plan, and solicit money for it's renovation with the local veterans organizations....
The children seldom know or understand what the impact of their parents is to the community. The stairway accident just goes to show you that we ALWAYS have to be on our guard to avoid accidents. Another tragic story.... I feel for you.

Thanks for sharing, tragic accidents taking a loved one is so different than watching someone with a terminal illness. Usually by the time they're ready to go we're sayin' things like,"...at least he's at peace now".
This is so true. But when you're going through watching a terminal illness wither away someone you care about, there isn't much else to say and just be there for support as much as you can.

"Things" are a way to remember or remind us of someone. Knives and firearms are perfect examples because often these things were important to the people we cared about deeply. I have enjoyed reading this thread.

When on duty, he had a selection beaters and seat-belt cutters.

When off-duty: AG Russell one-handed mammoth ivory
(not my pic - but this is it exactly)
2v2J6n55FxfgDBk.jpg

Last edited:
Father carried the Old Timer stockman that is missing a blade. He had the Swiss Army but didn’t carry it, it was in his hunting/camping bag.
Both Grandfathers carried Case Stockman one jigged bone the other a smooth brown. I got the Buck 305 from my maternal grandfather and the Imperial fish scaler from my paternal grandfather.

E524571D-3B2B-4DEF-AF23-271085F3E4C8.jpeg

My dad always had a knife on him and taught me to always carry one at a very young age. I do not have many of his folders but I still have his favorite fixed blade. A Randall model 7 that he ordered in the late 60's. At one point I had his original correspondence letters with Bo Randall from when he ordered it, and from when he sent it back for a repair. I unfortunately lost those letters over the years.

Even though my Dad was a Steam Fitter (think : helped build Steel Mills and Dams) . . . he carried the wimpiest damned knives. I remember I bought him a nice SAK for Christmas with one of my very first paychecks. I think it was a Tinker or other mid size SAK; not that thick . . . he took it back and got some little tiny thing.

Here is one of the last ones he EDC'd (the Buck not the Holdout).
If he had ever seen this Holdout I, he would have probably first laughed and then given me a dope slap.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-you-dew.1568509/page-4#post-17985832

My dad was (and still is ) a police officer. The one knife I remember from my childhood, and the knife that sparked my fascination with blades was this one. I vividly remember staring at it on the counter by his keys and what not when he’d pull everything out of his pockets after getting home from work. I never touched it but I thought it was the coolest, most wicked knife ever made. I carried my delica 1 (in my mind was the kids version of this knife) thinking one day when I became a man I would get to carry the real deal. Well I FINALLY got one..
BtuLy3K.jpg

My dad always had a SAK on him. He was a big outdoorsman and would use that knife for everything. He also had a couple buck knives over the years but he always went back to the SAK. He only had 1 fixed blade (that I know of) that was for hunting, but he very rarely, if ever used it. I recently gave him a Leatherman Surge and he was excited to use it. Though I doubt will replace the SAK.

My dad used a stockman not sure what brand but it looked like the Schrade Walden stockman knives I’ve seen and had a nice patina on the blades so it wasn’t a stainless but he kept it sharp . He didn’t always carry it because he many times would send me in to fetch it when he needed it. I don’t think he had the same attraction for knives as I’ve had since I was young enough to be scolded for picking one up to look at it. He did get me my first knife when I was about 7 years old it was a cheap Barlow stamped bolster. Dull as a long lecture and flimsy. He figured I’d lose it but I had it wore out within 3 months when the pivot pin let go and it fell completely apart. He told me he paid for the first one but the next were mine to buy.

My Dad was a boilerman/maintenance supervisor at a commercial laundry. He passed away 11 years ago. I found his knife in a box. It was all greasy. I cleaned and sharpened it. I’m pretty sure he sharpened it on the grinder at work.
85F7A001-F18F-49C8-AA54-7758A993A84D.jpeg

When my dad lost his restaurant he became an armed guard for Bronx Lebanon Hospital in the South Bronx, NYC. He was a bit tactical. He shoulder holstered a Beretta 84f double stack, a Buck 119 on the other shoulder and a Cold Steel ultralock. Not sure if anyone remembers those.

As far as I know, Pops never carried a knife. He wasn’t much of an outdoorsman. He was a newspaperman, a cook, and a food writer, so naturally he accumulated cooking knives, most of them old and nondescript carbon-bladed knives.

He hailed from Dover, Ohio, which was home to Ernest “Mooney” Warther and Warther Cutlery. Pop’s one vanity in the area of cutlery was a set of Warther knives with their distinctive engine-turned or jewelled finish. When Pops passed on, the Warthers had to be divided among five siblings. I came away with the butcher knife and the small cleaver. The little kitchen machete on the right was another Ohio product, from Clyde Cutlery, of Clyde, Ohio. It sports a Sugru handle repair.

8C6D45C9-9F84-42D5-8967-5EE3F8DAB15F.jpeg

I have that knife, great hikin' knife for sure. Big enough to do most any job in the weeds but still pocket-able, with a lanyard to retrieve it.

zN197px.jpg

Exactly that. I think you can get it with or without emblembs on the side. Seems like it was officially isued to the army in Spain. Not the kind of knife I would choose (same blade length as any big Victorinox but twice the weight and non locking), but it is still a good knife.

the knife that remember dad carried the most and longest was cheap folding aluminum thing with replaceable blades, that he never replaced just touched up on a bit or emery paper. in his took box however was a Schrade Walden #136. when i bought my first knife it would be a Western 854. some 45 years later its still the knife that ends up in my pocket 95+% of the time.

It was cool and rainin’ when I set out at 8:00 am with my mom to deliver the letters for a request for a variance to put two apartments on the second floor of a Firehouse my old man had just bought.

I was fifteen then, it was 1975, Saturday, October 25th, I was into my second year of HS, goin’ to a High Class Private School on a scholarship.

Everything was great, almost everything, I should have been on that plane, I should have been the one going Up State NY to the camp to close it up for the winter, usually we’d sneak a little preseason hunting, deer, bear and whatever else we could shoot.

Yup it should’ve been me but it wasn’t, I had goofed around at school a little too much that semester, the wrestling team was getting ready to go to the USSR that year for a goodwill match and we, I wasn’t keepin' my grades up, so I got a B- in physics, my old man wouldn’t let me go this time, I could use the week to study and deliver the variance letters with my mom, he gave me a hug and said we’ll sneak up in a couple weeks and finish closin' up and do some huntin'.

That was the last time I saw him, Friday night before he left with five other friends and pseudo family members on a so called huntin' trip/end of year camp closin', the property once belonged to the Rockefellers and then a very wealthy friend of the family bought it, the only way in was by boat, nine miles up the Stillwater Reservoir, or by plane to a half mile runway I helped carve out of the woods with my old man, there was a road that took us 28 days to carve through the woods with a Cat D-9 and a few other pieces of road building equipment but that’s another adventure.

Still it should’ve been me goin' but it wasn’t, the plane was a brand new Piper Twin Engine Aztec E series, back then one of the more advanced planes out there, The Doctor who owned the plane and the camp was a pilot and certified to train commercial airline pilots, my old mad had countless hours flying time and tons of solo time, (he also had his pilots licence), it was cold and rainey when they left at 6:00 am that mornin' from Solberg a little airport in Jersey.

All day I pissed and moaned because I was stuck deliverin’ these stupid letters it was goin’ on 12 noon when we finally headed home, my old man was probably openin' up the lodge and startin’ a fire, turnin’ on the propane tanks for light and gettin’ ready to head out to our favorite deer run to check out the signs.

The night before, I helped him pack while he explained to me yet again why I couldn’t go this time, he took my 308 bolt action Savage, his S&W 38 cal. Detective Special, his 44 magnum, a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun and two sheath knives, one was a Kabar fixed blade, like the ones you see them openin’ crates with in the old WW2 movies and the other was a split tang Edge Brand 10”-12” Bowie knife with a Stag handle. He threw these into his duffle bag along with his huntin’ clothes and other survival necessities, hell he’d be back in a week.

As we turned the corner to our street I thought I heard the guy on the radio say somethin’ about a small plane crash in NJ, my mom clicked off the radio just as we pulled up to the house.

My uncles truck was parked in front of the house, I thought this was kinda odd but I followed my mom into the house just in time to hear her scream and start wailin’, I wasn’t sure what my uncle told her but I knew it couldn’t be good.

My mom stumbled over to me and grabbed on and said, “Your fathers dead, they’re all dead…. the plane crashed and they’re all gone, then my uncle told her she needed to identify his body, so she left, she left a 15 year old boy who was closer to his father than anyone else, after tellin’ him his best friend was dead, she left him alone in the house, standin’ in the doorway sobbin’.

The next week was a blur with funeral after funeral six in all, investigators from the insurance companies and the FAA, newspapers tv reporters, it was a circus and that 15 year old boy had to grow up quick that year.

Around spring I remember my mom askin’ me to go to the police station with her to pick up the guns and knives they recovered from the plane crash, they handed her several bags and a some gun parts, in one bag was the blade of the Kabar, apparently the knife was on his belt and when the plane hit the ground the blade went into his hip and the blade snapped, I still have the broken blade and then there was the Bowie, my mom kept that.

She eventually gave me the knife back in the early 80s but it was packed away and never seen again, till a few weeks ago, I was goin’ through an old toolbox of his I inherited after he died and there wrapped in paper was the knife a little rusty and kinda pitted but I’ll be damned there it was, a little clean up with some steel wool and she was almost as good as new, the leather spacers had shrunk a little leavin’ the pommel a little loose but all in all still in good shape and still sharp as heck.

003-8.jpg

037-2.jpg

032-4.jpg

028-6.jpg

Dang dude.... No words.

. . . he carried the wimpiest damned knives. I remember I bought him a nice SAK for Christmas with one of my very first paychecks. I think it was a Tinker or other mid size SAK; not that thick . . . he took it back and got some little tiny thing.
I wonder which is better.... keeping a gift and not using it or taking it back and exchanging it for something you might use. That was a thoughtful gift to you Dad.

My Dad tended to carry small traditionals also. I'm getting older and starting to see that I don't need a big hulking knife day to day. Change is difficult as you can see with your Dad and the gift exchange.

It's kind of strange with me.... most folks remember precisely when their parents died. I actually don't and have to look it up. Don't know... but every time I do think about it I get a bit wimpy and prefer not to think about it.

My dad was definately who infected me with the knife bug. This photo is missing his case hammerhead that is at my house and the Italian stiletto switchblade he always carried that's has since been lost. It had plastic scales, but it was a real switchblade from the 50s and I could barely operate the old school back lock with my little kid hands. Man I hope it gets found.
20126125535bf3478ac24f13030a1f51.jpg

My dad carried a few different knives, I remember a Boker and a yellow Case. Both were smallish slip joints, but I don't know the model of either.

My dad didn't carry a knife, though several of the men I grew up around did. Couldn't say what knives they carried, though a yellow delrin, or stag handled folder was popular. That wasn't all that big an influence on me however.
I took to fishing and hunting very early on. My dad wasn't much of a fisherman, but he did get me started there. He didn't hunt at all. Probably the biggest influence on me was seeing the mandatory, leather handled, trailing point, fixed blade knife on the back hip of every other hunter in the photos from Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, or Field and Stream. I credit that to my fixed blade addiction. Though I've never owned a leather handled knife so far, and I am much more a drop point man myself. :)

Back