Your EDC approach...

Most days I'm carrying a 3"-3.5" modern folder when I'm out and about and a 4"+ modern folder around the house. If I'm going outside the city, I'll sometimes carry a 4"+ folder paired with a tiny traditional knife (SAK Classic SD or Case Peanut) in my watch pocket in jeans, or just the big knife if I'm in shorts.

I used to carry the same main folder every day for weeks or months at a time, but these days I pick up whatever grabs me or best suits my needs based on the day ahead. :)

Rat 2 while wearing jeans, Kershaw Shallot while wearing jean shorts and a Case Russlock in my Sunday-go-to-meeting suit pants.

EDC? One pocket knife, usually a 3-3.25" modern folder, occasionally a traditional, depending on what kind of pants/pockets. Tiny Massdrop AAA flashlight, keys, vehicle (usually motorcycle) key on a separate ring. Zebra ballpoint when I'm at work. Phone. Bandanna during runny nose season.

I carry a Buck 110 or 112 on my belt, and a multi-blade slipjoint or three.
I like versatility. No one blade profile is ideal for every task.
My favorite Slipjoints are a (large) Stockman, SAK 'Huntsman' (or a 4 blade 'Scout'/'Camp' knife), Barlow, and a Canoe or for "heavy" use, a large Sunfish. Though to tell the truth, for the last few months a RR carbon steel Moose has displaced the Canoe and Sunfish in my pocket.

I've varied on how much I carry over the years but I think I've pretty much settled in on what works well for me while balancing functionality with simplicity. What I carry for my primary folder depends on the activity/attire for the day (or just whatever I feel like tbh). Then, I've taken to carrying a SE Dragonfly clipped in my back pocket, which goes unnoticed until needed but provides a helluva lot of functionality when it is. I also daily carry a Fisher Military Space Pen (reliable and unobtrusive), A Victorinox Swisstool, and a Surefire Aviator (can't live without that low output red secondary beam). What allows me to carry all of this easily is pants with dedicated "knife" pockets like the Vertx Delta and Tru-Spec 24/7. Primary folder goes in the rf pocket and Swisstool/flashlight fit perfectly in the small "knife" pockets.

imULv6L.jpg

Most days I'm carrying a 3"-3.5" modern folder when I'm out and about and a 4"+ modern folder around the house. If I'm going outside the city, I'll sometimes carry a 4"+ folder paired with a tiny traditional knife (SAK Classic SD or Case Peanut) in my watch pocket in jeans, or just the big knife if I'm in shorts.

I used to carry the same main folder every day for weeks or months at a time, but these days I pick up whatever grabs me or best suits my needs based on the day ahead. :)

I do the same thing as well. If I know the day entails something different than usual I try to choose the knife best suited for that. If I know I’ll be stuck in the rain I’d choose my Tasman or ZT 0900, or if I know I’ll be doing a lot of strenuous cutting my Manix comes along. Or even what vehicle I’d be taking that day, if I’m on the bike the ZT stays at home, too heavy and not enough clip retention for a motorcycle ride. Certain things like that impacts my carry more than anything else. If it’s a normal day then I just choose what feels right.

This is it, just about every day. They are all small, and there is some duplication in function, but they don’t take up much room. Every so often I will swap in another knife, or clip a modern to my pocket, or drop a light fixed blade in my pocket, but my usual carry is about three times more knife than I need. I need the pliers often.

BA276F41-E700-46D0-94C6-48299BBBE5C5.jpeg

Carry a cheap folder at work, carry a nice folder at home / away from work.

Keep them sharp and clean.

That’s pretty much it, aside from leaving the knife elsewhere whenever I need to enter a courthouse.

Sometimes a spyderco military and sometimes a sak/traditional but that’s when I’m not carrying a hap40 delica. The delica is small enough to be a little more public friendly while still being fully functional.

I’ve tried doing the fixed blade thing, carrying multiples and even the little keychain knives but always come back to a single midsized pocket knife. If I ever break down and start carrying a fanny pack I’ll probably revisit the multiples approach.

I typically rotate my edc knives as I have way too many so I like to change that up quite frequently, I always have a backup credit card knife in my wallet though. My watches are like my knives I have one for any kind of occasion which all get worn depending on day and mood, lately it's been my black Citizen Eco Drive.

I don't carry a flashlight since my phone has one all though I do keep one in my truck. I always have my hank in my back pocket which I have a few different colors. As far as multi-tools if I decide on a SAK as my main knife for that particular day just that but if not then a leatherman squirt.

I also have a Leatherman Surge in my truck. I need to get a pen but with my phone I tend not to need one.

full

Settled on these 2 for quite some time. The super blue stays razor sharp in my LFP. The Umnumzaan goes in the RFP or RBP. Love having the Zaan for a beater.

I used to care what people think and would carry a smaller knife, don’t care anymore. If something needs to be cut, I casually open the Umnum, palming most of the knife in my hand.

I’m a server and manager at a restaurant. Last night we were closing up and I needed another beer open for the last table. During closings I have a 1000 things to do and not much time. Anyways, I couldn’t find a bottle opener and without thinking opened the beer my knife.

Basically, the only time someone can give me guff over a knife is when I’m using one effectively. That being the case, it usually makes them look silly for trying to call me out.

As much as I like gadgets and gizmos, I’ve never found the need to load myself down during my off-duty time for every potential SHTF situation. Just the basics. Usually it’s just the wallet, phone, keys (beverage opener on the key ring, of course), a decently-sized locking folder clipped to my pocket. Work is another story, but I’m supplied a very heavily-laden belt with everything else I might need.

Don’t get me wrong, titanium pens and flashlights are neato, I appreciate them, but they’re an unnecessary expense and burden for me. I’ve never found myself in a social situation where I needed 980 lumens always in my pocket. If my keys fall under the restaurant table, my phone has a light, and frankly, if someone needs my autograph, they’d better supply the pen. :)

As a young lad, it was usually just a Victorinox Tinker, because I found the Phillips screwdriver infinitely more useful than a corkscrew. Not sure about that these days lol. Still have a couple here and there.

Normal edc is a sebenza 21 CF and a bugout with a Gerber EAB as far as blades. Surefire peacekeeper, cobbled together lock pick set, brass zippo, chapstick, 6in stainless rule and a G19 iwb. Started carrying two knives a few years ago when I got into high end knives. Thought was to have a “hard use” secondary for if I thought I might get into something edge harming. Turns out having a large and small folder is more practical than I first thought.

Over the years, I've tried the two knife thing but, it does not last long. Fixed blade with folder normally. I still do it some but not much. The folder in right front pocket and FB on the left hip.

Also tried the folder/multi-tool idea and will do it from time to time but, once again, not very often. When I do, the folder rides in my right pocket and the MT rest in a horizontal pouch on my belt. I have been known to carry a second folder the same way. I don't remember any time that I hade a FB, folder, and a MT.

What does work well for me is the main EDC folder on my person and a SAK or MT in my Jeep Cherokee. My wife has a SAK and a MT in her KIA.

This is it, just about every day. They are all small, and there is some duplication in function, but they don’t take up much room. Every so often I will swap in another knife, or clip a modern to my pocket, or drop a light fixed blade in my pocket, but my usual carry is about three times more knife than I need. I need the pliers often.

View attachment 1183508

I'm SURE you know that the Leatherman line exists.... :p

So.... If that's the case.... Then you just prefer your much cooler loadout! :D:thumbsup:

Normal edc is a sebenza 21 CF and a bugout with a Gerber EAB as far as blades. Surefire peacekeeper, cobbled together lock pick set, brass zippo, chapstick, 6in stainless rule and a G19 iwb. Started carrying two knives a few years ago when I got into high end knives. Thought was to have a “hard use” secondary for if I thought I might get into something edge harming. Turns out having a large and small folder is more practical than I first thought.

Glad I'm not the only one that likes the EAB! Wharncliffes make short work of most packaging and cardboard.

Utility blades are called that for a reason!

I also love the bugout, but can't justify it presently... More of a want, than a need... So it's on the list!! :D:confused:

Back