Your EDC approach...

Cool pics as usual but c’mon man...Coors light?;)
Hey, he's working. They don't call it Colorado Kool Aid for nothing.

At home, I carry whatever folder I fancy at that time, but more often than not, it's my Bugout.
At work, I carry a folder, a SAK Recruit and an Olight i3t (used it a couple times when the power went out and I had to pee, much easier to see when it's pitch black in the WC), On my keys I have a SAK SD Classic and another Olight - i1r.

I tried various smaller folder to pull "gents" duty, but still prefer one of my mini trappers or maybe a Grohmann mini Russell.

Last edited:
I live in an urban area so after trying many equipments I have reduced my set up

I addition to the keys, wallet and phone I really a lot on my keychain tools:
Key smart titanium
Small Victorinox Rambler
Fenix UC02SS
Nite Ize S-binder

I also carry a folding blade but I change it depending of the need and mood of the day

For me I carry a Leatherman sidekick especially at work. I usually have a modern folder I use to cut thicker heavier things,always use it on boxes and things where more force is required. I carry a small traditional usually a sak, case or buck stockman. The traditional will see much more use most days .

Typical Day.

Work - example: Kershaw Blackout, Manix 2 LW

After Work and Barbecues - example: Gayle Bradley 2, 940-1

Pajama Carry - example: BM 707, Spydie Rookie G10

This would have been a good Charlie Mike thread with pics. Let's see ...

Ball peen hammer in kydex sheath under one arm. :D
Fixed blade in CM carry with lighter attachment. :thumbsup:
Traditional knife ... :p
A pair of folders ... :)
Rolex, purposely dented ... :D
Attack kitty in military backpack slung over one shoulder. :p

For my work and lifestyle one EDC knife simply won’t cut it. With work being the majority of my day time activity and sometimes nights on call I carry a large Buck Vantage Pro 20cv and a small Buck 303 cadet. Those two will handle most all of the cutting tasks I come across but sometimes rotate a 110 Slim Pro, then I also part time carry a Leatherman Wave or Juice S2 when I expect to need them but usually keep them close by in my work pickup as it is always close by where I also have a Buck 110LT for larger tasks. On my days off at home and around town I carry a Boker Plus Urban Trapper 3.5 inch or a Buck 501 and a 303 cadet or a 301 stockman depends on my plans. The only other exceptions are when I’m camping, hunting /fishing or traveling and select the proper cutlery for the activities for which I have fixed blades and always have a Buck 110 or 112 in the rotation among other folding knives.

So for me EDC knives is a day by day consideration and changes up from time to time. It’s a good thing I have several to select from.

Generally a medium BM or Spyderco folder and a medium SAK like the Camper or Alox Pioneer. I got tired of moving knives from pants to pants so just got enough SAKs to pair up with my one handed folders ( PM2, PM3, BM Volli).

For work I carry a cheaper but sturdy Kershaw Link and belt holstered Leatherman Sidekick. For very infrequent slacks I carry either the SAK or Kershaw Leek.

For hiking and camping it is the Alox Pioneer, Paramilitary 2, and Fallkniven S1. The S1 is an amazing outdoor knife. The 5” blade is large enough to handle anything smaller than a machete or ax, yet is surprisingly nimble in hand for notching sticks and some carving as well. And the Zytel sheath carries extremely well and I hardly notice it on my belt.

During the long daylight hours in summer I just rely on my phone for a flashlight. But in the long dark days of winter I carry a Fenix E13 AA or Streamlight 1L-AA at home and a Streamlight 2L.

I'm a total pocket packrat. Usually a couple knives, AAA flashlight, micro capsule lighter (non-smoker), pry tool, Spyderco Honey Bee (my favorite fingernail cleaner), pill vial.

On belt: OWB 1911, and sometimes spare mag on other side.

Then on each car key carabineer: Leatherman Ps4 Squirt, pill vial packed with emergency cash (small capsule holds two bills rolled tight), and locator tile.

Something I forgot to mention, because it’s always there and is taken for granted, are my truck knives.
RAT RC6 (ESEE) in the front seat. RAT RC3 and Leatherman Wave in a backpack in the back seat in case I get separated from my truck. Machete under the back seat.
I consider this EDC also.

For me, it depends on my day. If it's a work day, I'm carrying a folder (varies by the day, right now it's my newly acquired Ontario Rat 1), Coast rechargeable flashlight, cheap walmart multi tool, and a generic amazon hank, along with my work keys. Here's a pic from last week when I was carrying my cheapo Rough Ryder RR1980....
edc by poriggity, on Flickr

Opinal No. 7 in carbon steel is my main EDC knife. I have carved the handle to fit my hand, and the blade has been sharpened many times to the point that I had to grind down the shoulder. It just works for me. Its weird, I have carried it so long I care about it more now than I might a more expensive knife, which is a strange side effect, particularly since I moved to cheaper knives just to avoid that. I have learned that I really like super thin bladed slicers compared to the thicker blades present on most modern folders. When I am out and about in the yard or field I supplement with a Mora craftline in stainless. In general I have simplified and reduced my EDC more and more as I have gotten older.

Depends where I'm going and what I'm doing..... for work I have a heavy duty beater knife, for casual I have a dressier knife that can still take a beating and then for special occasions I have a bunch of knives that mostly only get used to open mail and breakdown boxes. For fishing and camping I have a complete set of different knives from fixed to folding. For hunting I have a complete set of fixed and folding for field dressing game or smaller for birds, depends on the hunt. Then I have a couple knives I only wear with suits. I just love having a knife for each occasion, I wouldn't use a bowie knife for opening mail or a small sebenza for field dressing an elk.

I always have a neck knife. Either one of two Phil Hartsfield Sr.'s or a Murray Carter master.

And a slip joint. Either one of two Bailey Bradshaws (OK, one' s a little lock-back) or a Bill Ruple Wharncliffe Whittler.

My philosophy is: one you can break out in a sewing circle of little old ladies and they'd go, "Oh, preeeety...", and one you can get busy with.

I was hoping to attach a photo, but I'm on my cell, and it's been about 10 years since I've tried to post a pic on this forum, so no love from my device. Bah.

I got tired of moving knives from pants to pants so just got enough SAKs to pair up with my one handed folders ( PM2, PM3, BM Volli).

This is such a knife knut solution -- I absolutely love it! :D

One knife. A strong folder usually between 3.45 and 4 inches. Good edge retention steel. Used at work and after work.
Carry mostly iwb, but sometimes during work, one hand replacement of my knife is easier clipped to the right front pocket. Because of the heat and perspiration, stainless steel only, although some of my D2 has been pretty corrosion resistant.

Last edited:
I carry a medium sized folder every day, mostly a PM2 or Manix 2. Weekdays I have tried carrying a Leatherman Juice with my other stuff but my pockets were too full so got away from carrying it. On weekends sometimes I carry a Leatherman Charge along with my other stuff, depending on what I might be working on at the time. I've tried carrying a fixed blade occasionally but folders work better for me.

Back