Your Favorite Chopper?

So between the three Busse Companies what is your favorite knife chopper? (No AKs) Not just one that you take out once in a while just to destroy things but one you would take with you on the go. Whether on your side, strapped to your pack, etc... Your BIG go blade. A chopper. A dyed in the wool chopper! Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough.

So far I have tried the BM-E, Dog Father, FFBM, Eu-Magnum, SHBM, Battle Rat, and CG FBM. I would have to say that the DF and CG FBM are real close. I like them both a lot. The verdict is still open on the FFBM.

I like the DF and CG FBM because they pack a whole lot of power but feel light and balanced. The DF feels like the better "fighter" to me but I feel more comfortable batonning the handle on the FBM if I had to for some reason.

CGFBM
100_1552c.jpg

Dog Father & FFBM
100_1488a.jpg

The FFBM is just a beast. I need to try it on my side, a pack, etc... to see how it feels.

What about you guys and why?

After playing with my AK47 today, I have some doubt about which is better. It was just too much fun going after smaller sub two inch trees and destroying them! :D

Easy choice for me. It would have to be this one.

attachment.php

It was originally a CGFBM. It is semi anorexic at .210 with a full flat grind. It is now much quicker with a point of balance right at the choil cutout. This thing will eat through about 1-1.5" of 2X4 with every chop!

The BEST chopper I've ever used (which is not mine) was Gravelface's FBM Proto. It was awesome.

The Basic 9 is no slouch either. Smaller than a Battle Rat, but better chopper (i think it's that asym edge), and VERY comfortable if you were going to use it for a long time.

CGFBM is my fav, next to the godfather. They both chop pretty well but the FBM has more weight behind it and with putting a slightly narrower edge it really bites.

I'd vote for the basic 9. The 9 has superb balance and heft, it feels right in my hand. Following that discontinued blade would be a DF after a date with my ceramic stick. As a sheer all-rounder, the DF is just about tops. For non Busse tools, the properly profiled Ontario 18 inch machete takes first prize in the chopping department by a wide margin.

Love the CGFBM for chopping, Haven't swung any of my fatties yet but fat has to be better. I guess the Dogfather is close to a fatty and it is a hell of a chopper but a bit much for brush clearing. The Battle Rat falls in between those but with that Respirene grip you can really work out with it. The Rat Daddy is right up there with the CGFBM for all around whacking even though they both have different kinds of chopping abilities. Let me get out and work on some more heavy brush with these guys and I'll get back to ya.

Over the last month or so My Dogfather has become the backup tool to my chainsaws for obtaining firewood. I use it for limbing, prying bark, as a lever to topple stubborn trees and to free up pinched saws. It is everything I need and more for such use.

Over the last month or so My Dogfather has become the backup tool to my chainsaws for obtaining firewood. I use it for limbing, prying bark, as a lever to topple stubborn trees and to free up pinched saws. It is everything I need and more for such use.

Now that is a well used knife. :thumbup:

The Aftershock with the asym edge does better on less seasoned wood, it cuts. The FBM works better on seasoned (hard, frozen) were the extra weight is a plus. For all around use, I like the AS-B best and find the E handle fits me better than the fusion.

For the seasoned cherry, I'd rather have used the FBM, but it was a couple of thousand miles away. I'll take the FBM to Sturgis, just to show off, it's such a beast.

bm_1.jpg

fbm_1.jpg

I would suggest trying a CG FBM with Mags. If the standard FBM is close, the mags could be "it". :thumbup:

FBMCG is my favorite chopper. It has the most forward balance of all my Busses and it does hit with more authority than even the HO or HH FBM. It has become my beater now.

Fat is where it's at !! :thumbup:
24.jpg

Well, finally!

I was starting to worry that my Hog Brothers were getting limp arms from all that time at the computer keyboard!

I'm old and gray and I can handle the FFBM fairly easily -- and it chops extremely well. I love my CG FBMs and my LE FBMs...but the FFBMs out-chop them without any doubt.

[I will admit to some elbow and shoulder soreness after 45 minutes of wood abuse, though.]

A chopper. A dyed in the wool chopper! Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough.

Someone has been watching "The Fifth Element" a little too much.

I have let both my FBM-proto and FBMLE go because they just didn't get it done for me. I would have to go with the HOFSH, which is shorter, but just as beefy as the FBM, or the Uncle MoFo, which can really get swinging with its lighter weight and ergo handle.

phatties4.jpg

In reality, I have other things which are more suitable for chopping, but your initial question specified something with a Busse heritage.

Rick

Back