Off Topic Your Favorite Handgun

What is your favorite handgun that you like enough to carry for the rest of your life:

• Colt 1911 and clones/variants

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • Browning Hi power and clones/variants

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • CZ75 and clones/variants

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Anything H&K

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Beretta 92F and clones/variants

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Sig Sauer other than 1911 line

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Glock

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Smith Wesson Pistols other than 1911

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • All other, FNH, Walther Ruger

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I am a revolver guy

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters
Lol, Glocks may not be purdy but man oh man do they perform. I've got a G30S.
Kinda wish I had the regular G30, but that 30S ain't bad.
Funny thing though, they sent the wrong front post for the 30S. Had to get a smaller front sight.
After that, all good!

Can I vote twice :)

First pistol I ever shot was a Remington Rand 1911A1, my Grandfather "acquired" it during WWll, I've been a 1911 fanatic ever since.

I do love the simplicity of a Glock though, Gen3 G19 is my favorite.

Lol, Glocks may not be purdy but man oh man do they perform. I've got a G30S.
Kinda wish I had the regular G30, but that 30S ain't bad.
Funny thing though, they sent the wrong front post for the 30S. Had to get a smaller front sight.
After that, all good!

I had to google the G30S to see what it was. Ive just come to accept the G30 as the chunky brick that it is, for what it is, a great nightstand gun :D
Its also the reason I got the Shield compact, its barely thicker than the bullet similar to the 1911.

I had to google the G30S to see what it was. Ive just come to accept the G30 as the chunky brick that it is, for what it is, a great nightstand gun :D
Its also the reason I got the Shield compact, its barely thicker than the bullet similar to the 1911.

The G30 is one of the softest shooting 45 autos ever imo. A great piece to be sure. :)

I don't carry very often so it's usually my Les Baer 1911 4". If I carried every day all day it would be a SW Shield 45 or SW airweight wheelgun (most likely a 360). Some version of a 1911 is with me in the vehicle at all times.
Not sure why but I hate glocks (although if someone gave me a 43 I might keep it).

I love my Springfield 1911, very accurate, and the G19 is what I would grab for SHTF, and the hi-power is my favorite to shoot - but for carry no question G36 all the way. It's small, I shoot it well and if 7 rounds of 45ACP (or 13 with extra mag in pocket) can't handle the problem then I guess it wasn't my day . . .

Last edited:
I have a Colt Defender,Kimber stainless Commander and a Glock 23. The Defender gets carried the most.

Any HK USP fans?
Have a compact in 9mm. Wonderful piece of German engineering.

I had a few USPs but I traded or sold all of them ... but I do really like some HKs ...

I have a P30 that shoots great ... I have a VP9 striker fired (which is one of only two striker fired pistols I own) ... I prefer an external hammer ... and I have a HK45 ... shoots very well and soft ...

And I love my 1911s ... but since the question was what I would carry for the rest of my life ... I had to ponder that awhile ...

I would say a good tuned 1911 would still be my favorite handgun ... but I carry a Sig P220 far more often than anything else ... and once you've fired Sig's Short Reset Trigger ... it puts a Sig on even ground with any 1911 I own ... even my Nighthawk ...

This is a next to impossible question to answer in all honesty ... because if I still lived in Montana ... I would most likely have either my S&W 627 Pro ... or a Ruger Redhawk or Super Backhawk on my hip ...

So I guess I'll have to say all of the above ... except Glocks ... hang on before you lynch me ... I know Glocks work and are reliable and all of the reasons people love them ... so not trying to knock Glocks ... but they just didn't work out for me.

Glocks are easy to hate and I used to be in that boat but now I have 2 factory Glocks and 3 P80 Builds. They are beautiful for their utility. Kind of like the Busse Basic Series.
I'll bet that Sig P365 is a good as everyone says it is.

The glock blows all other guns away in reliability but it has a few faults in my opinion. First, grip angle is not natural. Second it has no safety. The trigger disconnect is not a safety. The trigger is not crisp, although the gen 5 is the best trigger so far. But it runs and runs and runs.

As for the 9mm Glock, I always prefer the 17.
Just fits my hand so.much better.
That being said, I'd love to try the 19x.
I think that's what its called?
It's a 17 frame and 19 slide I think.

Back