Off Topic Your Favorite Handgun

What is your favorite handgun that you like enough to carry for the rest of your life:

• Colt 1911 and clones/variants

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • Browning Hi power and clones/variants

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • CZ75 and clones/variants

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Anything H&K

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Beretta 92F and clones/variants

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Sig Sauer other than 1911 line

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Glock

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Smith Wesson Pistols other than 1911

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • All other, FNH, Walther Ruger

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I am a revolver guy

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters
I'll agree with all of the 1911 sentiment and if the question was one pistol forever" type of thing mine would be a 1911. I have in the past and will continue to carry these occasionally but they are far from ideal in most cases, as much as I hate saying it.

IMG_2239.jpg
Dan Wesson Valor, heavily customized by Benchmark Precision. My 40th birthday present from my wife.
Les Baer Stinger
Ed Brown Kobra Carry

IMG_2238.jpg

Benchmark Precision full custom build on a Springfield NM frame. 9mm Bobtail
Custom Springfield TRP

IMG_2241.jpg

Not 1911's but worthy of comparison for sure
Browning Hi-Power, stock except mag disconnect removal
Sig X-Five Short, custom German goodness

I'll agree with all of the 1911 sentiment and if the question was one pistol forever" type of thing mine would be a 1911. I have in the past and will continue to carry these occasionally but they are far from ideal in most cases, as much as I hate saying it.

View attachment 1157050
Dan Wesson Valor, heavily customized by Benchmark Precision. My 40th birthday present from my wife.
Les Baer Stinger
Ed Brown Kobra Carry

View attachment 1157049

Custom Springfield TRP

View attachment 1157051

Not only does Mr. Pirtle have one of the sickest knife collections on the planet but his gun collection is epic as well! :thumbsup::cool:

Beautiful stuff! Thanks for sharing the pics!

View attachment 1157050
Les Baer Stinger
Ed Brown Kobra Carry

View attachment 1157049

Custom Springfield TRP

View attachment 1157051

Very nice collection of 1911s :thumbsup: !!!

I have my Nighthawk Talon II and I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry also ... I have a full custom 1911 on a base STI built as a race gun in 38 Super (which I should sell now since I no longer compete) ... and I have a highly customized Springfield Armory Lightweight Operator 4" ...

and I've considered Dan Wessons just haven't pulled the trigger on one ... yet ... and if they weren't heavy I would probably carry a 1911 all the time ...

And I'm not sure I could go as far to say Glocks blow everything else out of the water in reliability ... yes they are very reliable but ... I have a Sig P220 that has been submerged in water ... crawled through mud ... had sand all over it ... and not one misfire or failure to feed ...

I admit I am probably a bit more OCD about cleaning my guns and checking parts for wear (I'd rather replace something a little early than a little late)

But it's been a trust worthy carry gun for me.

I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry also ...

Thanks!

I don't think Ed Brown gets enough love when it comes to the big name custom 1911 companies. I've had Nighthawk's and Wilson's as well, and the Ed Brown is the second best 1911 I own, only beat by the custom Benchmark Precision. Rob over at BP has been a one man operation since the early 90's and was a partner with Steve Nastoff back in the early days for those of you who know your custom 1911 history. For the money his 1911's cannot be beat and I would put a $3,000 piece from him up against anything else.

Thanks!

I don't think Ed Brown gets enough love when it comes to the big name custom 1911 companies. I've had Nighthawk's and Wilson's as well, and the Ed Brown is the second best 1911 I own, only beat by the custom Benchmark Precision. Rob over at BP has been a one man operation since the early 90's and was a partner with Steve Nastoff back in the early days for those of you who know your custom 1911 history. For the money his 1911's cannot be beat and I would put a $3,000 piece from him up against anything else.

My Ed Brown shoots as well as my Nighthawk at $1000.00 less price tag ... but my Springfield Armory was my big surprise ... it shoots as well and is by far the smoothest I own ...

A gunsmith not far from me does exceptionally good work ... if you followed shooting sports some years back he used to compete with the big names ... his name is Rick McDowell ... super nice guy and I'm glad he is nearby I can take anything to him and he has it feeling like a different gun.

Everyone talks about Glock reliability, and they are...but...

I have a first gen Springfield XD 9mm that has well over 30 thousand rounds through it, with absolutely 0 stoppages or failure of any kind.

Everyone talks about Glock reliability, and they are...but...

I have a first gen Springfield XD 9mm that has well over 30 thousand rounds through it, with absolutely 0 stoppages or failure of any kind.
XDs are great striker fired guns but I prefer the look of the ugly Glock. :confused: I know, it's odd.

My Ruger SR9c was my first pistol I purchased new from a dealer and while there were a couple hangups on the first 100 or so rounds, once it was broken in, it's been rock solid.

For the price, it's hard to beat Ruger or an XD, especially when Springfield offers those Essentials packages. :thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1157050
Les Baer Stinger
Ed Brown Kobra Carry

View attachment 1157049

Custom Springfield TRP

View attachment 1157051

That Sig a beautiful gun. And the Hi-power is always a contender with it's perfect ergonomics

I have my Nighthawk Talon II and I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry also ... I have a full custom 1911 on a base STI built as a race gun in 38 Super (which I should sell now since I no longer compete) ... and I have a highly customized Springfield Armory Lightweight Operator 4" ...

and I've considered Dan Wessons just haven't pulled the trigger on one ... yet ... and if they weren't heavy I would probably carry a 1911 all the time ...

And I'm not sure I could go as far to say Glocks blow everything else out of the water in reliability ... yes they are very reliable but ... I have a Sig P220 that has been submerged in water ... crawled through mud ... had sand all over it ... and not one misfire or failure to feed ...

I admit I am probably a bit more OCD about cleaning my guns and checking parts for wear (I'd rather replace something a little early than a little late)

But it's been a trust worthy carry gun for me.

Sigs have always been very reliable guns and very accurate as well. In fact, I would say they are way more accurate than glocks and approach custom 1911's in accuracy, but with much more reliability. Yes, glocks have set the standard for reliability, but there are many guns currently that can match them in overall reliability.

Out of nearly 30 years of owning handguns and shooting tens of thousands of rounds, the most consistently unreliable handguns have been my SW steel guns from the 90's. 1006, 1076, 4506, 5906. All had at least one ftf every hundred rounds and the 4506 had FTF's every other magazine. It pushed me away from those guns forever and the magazine disconnect was a negative as well.

HK USP series were 100% reliable like the glock, but if you though that there was no way anyone could make a gun chunkier, heavier, thicker than a glock, you were wrong, HK succeeded in doing so with the USP. Still, they are veritable tanks.

My sig p220 was a sweet gun in the 90's. I put about 6000 rounds through it and am pretty sure it never ever had a failure to feed. Wish I had kept it. Since then, I have had sig 229, 225, 226, 228. All excellent guns.

Whenever I go somewhere that I feel like I may want something more than a blade for protection against two legged creatures, this little guy rides around in my pocket.20190707_094750_compress70.jpg

That SRT is that good ?

It is that good IMHO ... the short travel it has when it resets ... I would compare to a double action revolver with the hammer cocked ... and smooth no take up of any kind ... and for follow up shots it is impressive ...

I go through phases, right now what was old is new again. Started out 32 years ago with a 4" model 13 for my first ccw, I've recently rekindled my affection for revolvers with a 3" 686+ and an SP101. To me there's something classy about a well built revolver, the memories they bring back ain't too bad either ;)

It is that good IMHO ... the short travel it has when it resets ... I would compare to a double action revolver with the hammer cocked ... and smooth no take up of any kind ... and for follow up shots it is impressive ...
Well crap... my local gun store is an authorized Sig dealer :D

SIG P365 for me. Easy for a skinny guy to conceal, great capacity and more importantly, I shoot well with it and it's been very consistent and feels natural in my hands. Love the sights too.

I go through phases, right now what was old is new again. Started out 32 years ago with a 4" model 13 for my first ccw, I've recently rekindled my affection for revolvers with a 3" 686+ and an SP101. To me there's something classy about a well built revolver, the memories they bring back ain't too bad either ;)

What’s your opinion on your 3” SP101. I’ve been wanting one for years and I may pull the trigger soon!

Yeah, it is that good. But not surprising for Sig who normally has excellent standard triggers.

Back